50 pack memorex 4x +Rs at bestbuy for 49.99

vbimport

Link

Anyone know what kind these are? How good are they?

The problem is that they can be most anything. I wish someone would figure out the packaging so we could tell them apart.
Ricoh and CMC are the 2 most likely prospects.

I got a pack, it was CMC, the top layer wasn’t like, ‘blurry’, like the Memorex Ricoh one and the spindle was more of a different spindle than regular spindle, they burned at 4x but using hacked firmware, burned at 8x with good results :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Nuke209
I got a pack, it was CMC, the top layer wasn’t like, ‘blurry’, like the Memorex Ricoh one and the spindle was more of a different spindle than regular spindle, they burned at 4x but using hacked firmware, burned at 8x with good results :slight_smile:

Can you be a bit more specific about the differences? Maybe a photo of the spindles?

i think i know what he means by the “blurry” look. i’ve never seen the memorex CMCs myself, but the printing on the top of the ricoh ones appear to be slightly out of focus when u look at them, so i’m guessing that’s what he’s referring to. this is something u’d only be able to observe once the package is open though, since they put the paper disc on top of the first dvd.

There’s always some tell-tale difference in packaging, the printing on the shrink-wrap or the part number or something. Damned if I can find out.
There is a newer cakebox being used by Ricoh and Ritek that has a different base. It has a verticle lip all the way around that the top fits into. The top of these new spindles has indentations around the edge, sort of a grip-type top. But I’m not sure if these new spindles are only used by Ricoh/Ritek. Right now there are CMC and Ricoh both in the old spindles. :sad:

The Ricoh top is blurry
The CMC isn’t, it doesn’t even have like a blurry clear protective layer on top like Ricoh’s do
But here’s the spindle and how it looks like

Remember, I got plus on these

^^^
That’s what I got the CMC in

^^^
That’s what I got the Ricoh’s in (But a +, not -)

I also got minus in the spindle like that ^^^^
And it was Ricoh also, maybe the packaging can tell?
I’m just guessing, but It might be different for others too.

Nuke209

The top spindle of +R is a classic Ricoh spindle, but they stopped using those and went to one that looks axactly like the CMC pictured below it. But the question is about +R, not -R, as Ricoh does not make -R.

sorry, it’s PRODISC, not Ricoh for -R

Are these also available at the store or is this an online purchase only?

Thanks

store also =)

Checked out the local store, they have Ricoh in 2 completely different style cakeboxes. :sad: And no CMC.

just went to staples, got a PM w/ BB’s $49.99, came out to ~$49 w/ tax. just an FYI… i’ma check out see which discs these are in a bit.

The (3) 50pk dvd-r packs I bought at my BB, are all CMCMAG.AF1

They have the firmware warning on the top of the disc stack.

Part number 3202 5572 Made in Taiwan There is also 5395 6450 on the label below the UPC scan.

Careful of memorex.

I just got burned.
bought a couple of singler +Rs, and they burned within tolerance. These were Riteks.

Bought the exact same product in a 25 piece cakebox, and got chinese generics that are completely useless. now i have to go to the hassle of returning them.
stupid unreliable media.
Why isn’t it easy to just by good media?

The ones I got last time they had this sale were the Ricohs in a black bottomed case with the finger grip top so it seems they are just throwing them into whatever cake boxes they have handy.
They’ll only do 2.4 speed in my picky sony 500a and 4x well o 6x on a lucky day with my 811 so it’s luck of the draw now as to maker and quality.
I later got some TDK Ricoh media becuase it HAD been always better then the Memorex and it was even worse but it still burns well at 4x so I think the quality might be slipping a bit.

I checked mine and they are Ricohs

Part No. 3202 5544

under UPC 5395 6040

Came with the purple tag like the image above.

The two Memorex 4x DVD+R spindles I’ve bought have both had gray spindle, and were RICHOJPN.

newegg.com has a 100pk of Ritek, which the reviews say are RICHOJPN, cost me $98 after tax, and free shipping.