50-Pack Color Research 4.7GB DVD+R Discs - Free after Rebate + Free Shipping

vbimport

Color Research 50-Pack Spindle of 16X 4.7 GB DVD+R Discs (C18-42003) [tigerdirect.com] â—¦ $14.99 - $15.00 Rebate = FREE + Free Shipping
â—¦Limit 3 Per Household
â—¦Rebate is valid 02/25/15 to 03/04/15

Didn’t see any media code listed at tigerdirect or in the reviews but Googling suggests that as of 1-2 years ago these are CMC MAG-M01-00.

25-Pack Color Research 8.5GB DVD+R DL Discs are also Free after Rebate + Free Shipping. Unlike the single layer, they are limit 1 rebate and I absolutely cannot find any information anywhere about their media code or country of origin.

Color Research 25-Pack Spindle of 8X 8.5 GB DVD+R Dual-Layer Discs (C18-42012) [tigerdirect.com] - $24.99 - $25.00 Rebate = FREE + Free Shipping
â—¦Limit 1 Per Household
â—¦Rebate is valid 02/27/15 to 03/07/15

Just popped a DVD+R in and it is indeed CMC MAG-M01-00. I’ve been out of the loop for years and had thought they were made in Taiwan but they’re made in China.

CMC has a factory/join venture in mainland China, but only does its own disc models there as far as I know.

Scan of a Color Research DVD+R. Recorded on Pioneer DVR-115L at 16x due to USB2 enclosure.

Will there ever be blu ray FAR deals happening? Even if it’s 15 - 25 discs at a time and slightly overpriced with antiquated mail-in requirements.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2748961]Will there ever be blu ray FAR deals happening? Even if it’s 15 - 25 discs at a time and slightly overpriced with antiquated mail-in requirements.[/QUOTE]

I’ve more frequently seen price drops on new drives than on blank BD media. Maybe something to do with lower adoption rates of the technology, coupled with companies trying to recoup their R&D costs and still turn a profit. People will only have to buy one drive, so that’s a non-factor in comparison to the number of discs they must buy to use with the drive.

I imagine it to be sort of like buying ink for an inkjet printer, with the distinction that it’s not HP ink for an HP printer or Epson ink in an Epson printer; instead, it’s Philips and Sony pushing out the licensing costs on something much lower in shipping volume than CD & DVD. Combined with the higher cost of materials for BD (probably not worth the substantial price difference relative to the older formats, but still…), it means peopl companies aren’t really trying to push the price down when it comes to consumers.

Gotta keep that premium technology at a premium price!

Scan of a Color Research DVD+R DL. Recorded on Pioneer DVR-115L at 8x. As you can see, there was a slowdown during DVD image burning at the beginning of the 2nd layer and a worrisome spike around the 7.3GB mark during scanning but it didn’t affect the TRT.