50 Dvd's I need to copy

vbimport

Hi all.

I have around 50 dvd’s I would like to burn to dvd-r for backup purposes, incase scratches or anything of the sort occurs.

Currently, I just use dvd shrink to rip and shrink then use nero to burn to disc. Very straightforward and easy… But most of the time the quality is only 50-70%
I usually keep the 2 channel audio and 5.1 channel audio, mainly because I dont really know the difference. Other than 2 channel sounds louder on my tv than 5.1.
But sometimes the only 2 channel on the disc is commentary, so I get tricked like that alot, which is why I just get all audio English 2 and 5.1

Im wondering, if theirs a program that is better, that would make the quality better, even if only slight. The program has to be relatively easy to use, or atleast have a guide to guide me through it.

If dvd shrink is best, does deep analysis make any difference in quality?

I am only burning to 4.7 gb dvd-r
Thanks all.

[QUOTE=pearce;2460896]Hi all.

I have around 50 dvd’s I would like to burn to dvd-r for backup purposes, incase scratches or anything of the sort occurs.

Currently, I just use dvd shrink to rip and shrink then use nero to burn to disc. Very straightforward and easy… But most of the time the quality is only 50-70%

Im wondering, if theirs a program that is better, that would make the quality better, even if only slight. The program has to be relatively easy to use, or atleast have a guide to guide me through it.

If dvd shrink is best, does deep analysis make any difference in quality?

I am only burning to 4.7 gb dvd-r
Thanks all.[/QUOTE]

I doubt dvd shrink is the best only alternative to buying would sound more reasonable. You notice that flaws when you compress movie you loose quality in playback when you use dvdshrink. What really more or less is the speed you burn at-usually half the media rated speed and the media type aka Verbatim you use and also don’t multitask when your backing your dvd as this becomes a system hog on your computer resources and all hardware involved in the backup process-so when you do burn let it finish it’s job before doing anything this will insure a more accurate and complete burn. For burns that match originals dvd format you should try CloneCD or CloneDVD as those two software will make a 1:1 or in the case of CloneDVD will also shrink the format to match dvd5 format. But if they are copy protected as in CSS-I have Anydvd HD just for that process to decrypt the protection and then I use one of the two mention software to backup the dvd and store away the originals. But those 3 software have 21 days trials before you have to purchase them-of which I own 3 of them and to me was worth the money spent. And the company does offer a discount when more then one is purchased at certain time-besides their regular discount they offer. But I will leave this decision for you to make yourself. Also I would mention there is also dvdfab HD a free version of the dvdfab Plat that only does dvd9 to dvd9 and plat will-paid version-will do either dvd5 or dvd9 to either dvd9 or dvd5. Those are the two software companies I would recommend you take a look at and decide what best fits your purchase power and needs.

On my backups I do Movie Only in DVD Shrink. That way the quality is at 90 to 100%. This is with ANY DVD running in the background. Most of the time I do my burning with Clone DVD 2 and sometimes Imgburn.

You can also try DVD Rebuilder free edition. Here is a link to a guide: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdrb.htm. You’ll still need a ripper like Shrink or DVDFab.

DVDFAB gives you a full working program for 30 days to try before you have to buy it, d/l it and give it a shot and you can do it all in program, rip, shrink if needed and burn, You can get a lot of movies done in 30 days :slight_smile:

Hi all.

I would like to use hc encoder and dvd rebuilder as opposed to dvd shrink and nero.
However, hc encoder looks very wierd to me and I have no clue how to use it.
ARe their steps to take? Ie - Use rebuilder first to rip dvd, then use hc encoder to burn?
Its all very wierd.

I gave you the answer to just have to use 1 program but if you want to use 2 or 3 programs to do the job, good luck

I am very grateful for your help. But dvd fab will not work on my pc. It has always got to the part where you insert the blank disc, and it doesn’t read that blank disc and just keeps spitting it out, I’ve tried several blank discs, and nothing happens, it does not read the disc and just spits it back out.
I like programs like dvd fab because they are so easy for me to use, but it has never worked for me.

Please don’t think that I’m not grateful for your help because I am, it is appreciated.

There’s nothing to read on a blank disc so I presume you’ve reached the burning stage. :wink:

Basically you need to rip the disc, compress if required, then burn.

You can do all of this in DVDFab but you will get better quality using DVD Rebuilder.

You don’t need to run HC Encoder by itself just set up DVD Rebuilder to use the HC Encoder and it will handle all this for you.

Only keep the audio tracks you require and if there are two otherwise identical ones in 2.1 and 5.1 ditch the 2.1 and keep the 5.1.

5.1 audio is automatically downmixed to 2.1 if required so there’s no point in having both if they’re otherwise the same.

So rip using DVDFab, compress using DVD Rebuilder in HC mode, then burn with the burning software of your choice.

[B]Wombler[/B]