5 reasons why tablets won't kill eReaders anytime soon

5 reasons why tablets won’t kill eReaders anytime soon.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/mUI1lL.jpg[/newsimage]In an argument that is likely something only an avid reader would understand, here are 5 reasons why tablets will not stamp out the existence of eReaders anytime soon.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/5-reasons-why-tablets-wont-kill-ereaders-anytime-soon-34268/](http://www.myce.com/news/5-reasons-why-tablets-wont-kill-ereaders-anytime-soon-34268/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The power of Apple’s stores for music , videos and now books should not be underestimated. The technology of the ipad may be poor for reading over long periods (glare , weight etc. etc.) but for MANY consumers the opportunity to read a book after a few clicks on the apple store , using a preregistered card will be more important than the reading experience.
For reading the now discontinued PRS 300 from Sony does the job well (albeit with a small screen) but it just isn’t sexy enough for many consumers who want a device that replaces TV , Blu Ray/DVD, ipod and books on one device because they can.
Sorry but e-readers will become a niche market.
CJB

[QUOTE=The_Gog;2543747]Sorry but e-readers will become a niche market.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by “become”?
They already are, and always have been, a niche market.

They will become a less popular choice for reading than tablets but will probably outsell ‘real’ books in many genres .
Amazon will lead the way and may equal ipad as a medium. The model will mirror photography and music IMHO

The $139 Wi-Fi only Kindle is going to be a VERY hot seller this holiday season… You’ll see. :slight_smile:

My wife has no interest in browsing the web, facebooking (farsebooking), etc. She reads. When these things get better as far as response to turning a page, she will love an e-reader. I think there is a market for them for people that actually love to read.

I think that tablet and e-readers are completely different devices aimed at different markets though a Kindle in color would be nice for magazines and tech manuals…

Looks like the writer of this article don’t know about Pixel QI.

Who wants to read when you’ve got something as fun as an iPad at your fingertips ? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2543788]The $139 Wi-Fi only Kindle is going to be a VERY hot seller this holiday season… You’ll see. :-)[/QUOTE]

My oldest daughter would love one of those . . . but she’d expect to do more than just read on it so I’m not sure I’m ready to buy her one just yet.

[QUOTE=paulw2;2543873]I think that tablet and e-readers are completely different devices aimed at different markets though a Kindle in color would be nice for magazines and tech manuals…[/QUOTE]
There was a story right here on MyCE a while back saying color displays are coming later this year.

Why do those cheap e-readers only have a couple of gigs of inside memory and no method for upgrading the memory with, for instance, a sd slot.

Because the average indian can’t afford a $10 SD card anyway … and the additional $5 for the SD Card slot to be added to the device.

IF I’m going to carry around something the size of an i-Pad I’ll take a Laptop. While the I-Store has lots of Apps, I refuse to put myself in a position that i have to buy everything from one company. That is just asking for trouble. Apple totally and completely controls what you can put on the I-pad, sorry not me.

And as far as e-books, there are 3 problems for me:

1. They are too fragile, drop it from 3 feet and start looking for a new one.
  2. No hard cases to protect them durring travel,
  3. Too many e-books cost more that real books.

I understand the concept of being able to load 1000 books on this device, but why pay a lot for the device that I can;t get all titles on, the books cost more, and if it breaks I have to buy another to read my books. Books are far more durable and reliable than any e-book reader.

[QUOTE=Drum;2544888]

And as far as e-books, there are 3 problems for me:

1. They are too fragile, drop it from 3 feet and start looking for a new one.
  2. No hard cases to protect them durring travel,
  3. Too many e-books cost more that real books.

[/QUOTE]

Well said, Drum. I’ll stick to my paper and ink books and my compy. Actually, I find much more readable, much higher quality, stories online…free. The only difference between these free stories and those you pay for is brand name and advertising.

While I have several Notebooks including all my old ones (but I finally gave away my IBM T20)
I can’t see the point in an E-reader. E-reader software on a notebook? Well mabey…

But how many specialized electronic devices does anyone really want to have to buy?

OTOH I still have my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4120 Tablet computer with it’s Pentium-III 933Mhz processor.
Infact it’s in daily use because I essentially us it as a mobile audio device,
kind of an oversized iPod touch… but it’s running XP-sp3, IE8, WMP11, etc…

It’s a “bit” slow but not intolerably so…