5.25" NEC Chipset Enclosure - $12.99 or $21.98 for 2 - DealSonic

http://www.dealsonic.com/neon5blnecch.html

Has anyone here used an NEC chipset enclosure with a DVD burner before? Comments?

Most of Samsung’s external range, uses an NEC chipset (IDE - USB bridge). They are able to reach 18x burning speed with ease.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SE-S184M-DVD-Burner-Review/Features.html

Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered two. The shipping is $5.xx for one, but only goes up to $7.49 for two. Total cost for two shipped is $29.47.

Yes, Thanks for the tip. Ordered 2 also. Don’t really need them right now, but at that price could not resist.

CLGerow

A big thank you to Negritude for posting this, and to Dee for letting us know it was a good chipset. My two arrived today, and I have burned two discs at 16x with no fall-off in speed.

They also have these in silver:

http://www.dealsonic.com/neon5sinecch.html

If it matters to anyone, fan is noisy as hell and there is no auto-sensing on/off if computer goes to sleep.

I agree the unit has no auto on/off but none of my usb external hard drives or DVD burners does. Did not even realize soemthing like that was available.

But I have not had the problem with the noisy fan. So far the one I have hooked up seems pretty quiet.

[QUOTE=clgerow;1989978]I agree the unit has no auto on/off but none of my usb external hard drives or DVD burners does. Did not even realize soemthing like that was available.

But I have not had the problem with the noisy fan. So far the one I have hooked up seems pretty quiet.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both points. The one I have hooked up is quieter than the rest of the stuff in this room, so I have not heard it at all. This does use one of those really small fans, so you know it isn’t going to last forever. But it does the job, and for the present it is working and quiet.

I’ve been reading CDFreaks for quite some time now. Have never registered until today. So this is my second post. I’d like to say hi, to everyone here at CD Freaks and say that I do enjoy your Forum. Thank you for the heads up I just ordered two of the NEC Chipset enclosures also. Also ordered two extra 15 foot USB 2.0 A to B cables.

Thanks a bunch. Snagel

Welcome aboard Snagel!

JD

Own 5 of these, 4 of them are pretty darn silent, the other, the fan screams like nobody’s business, retired that case, since I couldn’t figure out how to disconnect the fan.

They do indeed hit 18x with ease, Plextor PX-716A refuse to burn DL’s in this case for some reason, 3 nice MIS coasters…yeah.

Plextor PX-716A refuse to burn DL’s in this case for some reason

Bloody Hell! (bangs head on desk). That’s reason i just ordered 2. I have a Plextor i just took out of an old cpu that i didn’t feel like putting in the new one. Oh well, i know what i have to do now. Where’s that screwdriver…

just what I was looking for, thanks for the info

Just bought two of these and they arrived a couple of days ago. I put a 1640 in one and a 1655 in another. They’re definitely highly recommended.

They work well for the BenQ’s? I have a few extra sitting around that I wouldn’t mind getting in an external case.

I ordered the black(charcoal) and what arrived looks silver or the color of charcoal after its burnt :(. The boxes had a check mark on the box for BK too. Both fans are real quiet. Buyer responsible for all RMA shipping, I’ll keep them not worth the hassle of contacting the CC company. Tried to get Dealsronic on the phone (not a toll free number) for over an hour, nothing but a busy signal.

[QUOTE=dreamliner77;1992672]They work well for the BenQ’s? I have a few extra sitting around that I wouldn’t mind getting in an external case.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I ordered two and put a 1640 in one and a 1655 in the other.

I have been able to burn a dual layer disc fine with a Plextor PX-716A in this NEC enclosure. I burned an image file at 6x using DVD Decrypter with no problems.

I have been able to burn a dual layer disc fine with a Plextor PX-716A in this NEC enclosure. I burned an image file at 6x using DVD Decrypter with no problems.

Thanks for the info. I may give it a shot as i just got mine yesterday. For those interested i think the fans are very quiet too. I also love the fact that you only have to undo 2 screws to put the drives in as well.