5.1 surround system (DVD/CD player to receiver) 2 point & 6 point connections

*Sorry, not sure which is the best part of the forum to post this.

Hello,

Hope I can please get some info here !

I have 2 home theatre systems, both differ to each other in the way you connect the DVD/CD player to the receiver.

Why does one receiver have 6 points to plug into, but the other receiver only has 2 points to plug into, even though both receivers are marked as “5.1 ch surround systems” ?

What is the difference ?
Are they the same ?

eg.

TYPE 1 between DVD/CD player and receiver you connect the following 6 plugs individually :

front left
front right
front centre
back (surround) left
back (surround) right
subwoofer

TYPE 2 between DVD/CD player and receiver you only connect the following 2 plugs :
DVD IN L + R.

Thanks!

Yo-

Type 1 looks like [B][I]speaker[/I][/B] connections - not a CD to receiver connection-

Type 2 looks like a analog CD “IN” connection and are probably red and white-

The preferred connection between DVD/CD player and receiver would be using either the optical (TOS) or coaxial imputs on the receivers DVD/CD “IN” ports

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2150446]Yo-

Type 1 looks like [B][I]speaker[/I][/B] connections - not a CD to receiver connection-

Type 2 looks like a analog CD “IN” connection and are probably red and white-

The preferred connection between DVD/CD player and receiver would be using either the optical (TOS) or coaxial imputs on the receivers DVD/CD “IN” ports[/QUOTE]

Ah, I think the receivers that have a 6 point input leave it to the actual DVD/CD player to decode signals like DTS, but the 2 point recievers do the decoding themself through a coaxial cable, instead of having the DVD/CD player do the decoding…

So what happens if your receiver only has the 2 point input and you want to play DVD-Audio ? (DVD-Audio doesn’t play through coaxial).

OK I read that to play DVD-Audio you have to use the 6 point connection and that it does not use the coaxial cable…
But I’m not sure that is right, maybe the newer players can play DVD-Audio through the coaxial input ?
I know that my DVD-Audio plays when I only have the coaxial plugged in…, but maybe it’s not playing in true 5.1 ?