5.1 speakers

vbimport

I have a 4.1 system made from a 2.0 and a 2.1, is there a good 1 piece speaker to get to turn it into a 5.1?

These are PC speakers.

Not that I know of. But you can use another 2.0 setup and remove the second speaker to make a center channel. The issue lies with the output of your sound card. Most sound cards have both center/subwoofer on the same output, one channel is the subwoofer and the other is the center channel. I guess if the software that came with your sound card would allow you to configure both of the 2.0 speakers are a center channel that would work well too.

It could also be done by using a splitter cable converting the output of the center/subwoofer into two seperate outputs, and that would allow you to connect just the center cable to a 2.0 speakers and use just the one speaker as a the center channel, the second speaker would not play anything.

On ebay if you were to get this item 290207283009, that would seperate the center from the subwoofer. Then buy this item 230224021015 and only connect the center channel from the first splitter, then in the end you would have the output of just the center channel and it would have the proper connector for a 2.0 speaker set, now only one speaker would play and it would be the center channel as long as you connected the center channel and not the subwoofer by accident. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2006273]On ebay if you were to get this item 290207283009, that would seperate the center from the subwoofer. Then buy this item 230224021015 and only connect the center channel from the first splitter, then in the end you would have the output of just the center channel and it would have the proper connector for a 2.0 speaker set, now only one speaker would play and it would be the center channel as long as you connected the center channel and not the subwoofer by accident. :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I’m not too technically learned about this.

From what I know, my soundblaster audigy 2 zs has 3 analogue ports. I now plug the 2.0 on the front, and the 2.1 as the side. What if I was to get another 2.0 and let both speakers play the front? Wouldn’t that be essentially the same as the 5.1?

Simply adding another similar or identicle speaker or subwoofer and adjusting your software paramiters will do the trick.

[QUOTE=THE C.;2006387]Simply adding another similar or identicle speaker or subwoofer and adjusting your software paramiters will do the trick.[/QUOTE]

How do you do that?

What sound card are you using?

[QUOTE=Goit;2006331]Sorry, I’m not too technically learned about this.

From what I know, my soundblaster audigy 2 zs has 3 analogue ports. I now plug the 2.0 on the front, and the 2.1 as the side. What if I was to get another 2.0 and let both speakers play the front? Wouldn’t that be essentially the same as the 5.1?[/QUOTE]

Your 2.1 should really be used as your front speakers.

[QUOTE=Bob;2006725]What sound card are you using?[/QUOTE]n/m i see now :doh:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2006817]Your 2.1 should really be used as your front speakers.[/QUOTE]

But don’t the main sound get channeled through the front speakers? The 2.0 system is better than the satellites of the 2.1 system.

Your software for sound in your system. Example I have a Sigmatel 6.1 sound software in my laptop. If not you can purchase cheap software if you don’t have any.

[QUOTE=Goit;2007061]But don’t the main sound get channeled through the front speakers? The 2.0 system is better than the satellites of the 2.1 system.[/QUOTE]

The rear channel doesn’t get all the good bass information that the front channel gets. Its atleast worth trying.

The 2.1 set splits the bass to the “.1” from the front left/right, a 5.1 drives bass and centre from a seperate feed. I don’t think hacking a 5.1 out of 3 sets would work very well.

If you use the 2.0 as the front, then the bass unit is only assisting the rear - the satellites of the 2.1 may not seem very substantial, but that is because the bass unit does most of the heavy work.

Sure it will work. Its a ‘on a budget setup’. All he needs is to add another 2.0 set of speakers. Big deal, he won’t have a dedicated sub, the sub from the 2.1 will do the job.

The problem is the channel routing.

2 speaker mode - outputs left & right with bass included, the 2.1 set does the bass splitting.
4 speaker mode - like 2, but with an extra pair for rear.

6 speaker - splits the bass and centre as seperate channels, with front L/R and rear L/R pairs, when the bass actually needs to hit the 2.1 set.

A kludge that might work, plug the 2.1 set in as bass/centre so it gets the bass (which should be filtered to the bass unit by the 2.1 amplifier) and the centre (to one of the 2.1 set satellites).

Then use the best of the 2.0 sets for the front, and add a cheap 2.0 for the rear.

Whether it’s worth doing at all, depends on the source, the centre speaker can be a pain to place (mine is behind the LCD monitor) and is really only of value with 5.1 source material.

[QUOTE=Matth;2011500]The problem is the channel routing.

2 speaker mode - outputs left & right with bass included, the 2.1 set does the bass splitting.

6 speaker - splits the bass and centre as seperate channels, with front L/R and rear L/R pairs, when the bass actually needs to hit the 2.1 set.

A kludge that might work, plug the 2.1 set in as bass/centre so it gets the bass (which should be filtered to the bass unit by the 2.1 amplifier) and the centre (to one of the 2.1 set satellites).

Then use the best of the 2.0 sets for the front, and add a cheap 2.0 for the rear.

Whether it’s worth doing at all, depends on the source, the centre speaker can be a pain to place (mine is behind the LCD monitor) and is really only of value with 5.1 source material.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain it more clearly? Or is there a guide for this? I’m not that technical with audio systems.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Matth;2011500]The problem is the channel routing.

Whether it’s worth doing at all, depends on the source, the centre speaker can be a pain to place (mine is behind the LCD monitor) and is really only of value with 5.1 source material.[/QUOTE]

that’s not quite true. all sound cards even in 5.1 mode only output 5 channels of information for most sounds. the lfe channel is not separated out to the .1 channel at all. only in the case of DVD playback I believe is lfe routed to the .1 channel, and even then you have the option of telling the software (powerdvd and windvd both have this option) to route the lfe into the front channels. all PC multimedia speaker systems have a built in crossover for any of the channels except the lfe channel, so even if you route all lfe into the front channels, all the bass is rerouted into the subwoofer by the speaker system. remember, the whole point of lfe is that the frequency range is below the localization range. the option that some soundcards have of having a software crossover is to simplify connections to a HT system, where there is often no crossover for the direct 6ch input.

[QUOTE=seeker010;2040413]that’s not quite true. all sound cards even in 5.1 mode only output 5 channels of information for most sounds. the lfe channel is not separated out to the .1 channel at all. only in the case of DVD playback I believe is lfe routed to the .1 channel, and even then you have the option of telling the software (powerdvd and windvd both have this option) to route the lfe into the front channels. all PC multimedia speaker systems have a built in crossover for any of the channels except the lfe channel, so even if you route all lfe into the front channels, all the bass is rerouted into the subwoofer by the speaker system. remember, the whole point of lfe is that the frequency range is below the localization range. the option that some soundcards have of having a software crossover is to simplify connections to a HT system, where there is often no crossover for the direct 6ch input.[/QUOTE]

So what should I do here?

If I just use my 4.1 setup, is there any way to direct the main treble to the 2.0 and the main bass to the 2.1?

Actually, if you look at the Audigy 2 ZS it supports a 6.1 setup. There is front, rear, and center/sub. So there should be no problems for a 6.1 setup right? Because the soundcard supports it, I don’t even have to
rerout anything.

http://www.creative.com/products/speakers/howto/?c=2&sc=2&ssc=2

The link says that I can do it.

[QUOTE=Goit;2040439]Actually, if you look at the Audigy 2 ZS it supports a 6.1 setup. There is front, rear, and center/sub. So there should be no problems for a 6.1 setup right? Because the soundcard supports it, I don’t even have to
rerout anything.

http://www.creative.com/products/speakers/howto/?c=2&sc=2&ssc=2

The link says that I can do it.[/QUOTE]

you can, but it takes a bit of work. creative cards and speakers use the nonstandard tripolar plug for 6.1 and 7.1 output. all other speakers uses a bipolar plug, so you need to convert creatives three pole output to a two pole output.

[QUOTE=Goit;2040434]So what should I do here?

If I just use my 4.1 setup, is there any way to direct the main treble to the 2.0 and the main bass to the 2.1?[/QUOTE]
you can if you have a soundcard that supports setting a crossover frequency in the driver. If it does, then set the crossover frequency to be the crossover point for you sub on the 2+sub set. the speaker set should automatically direct all that to the sub. your 2 speakers will act as mono speakers, so you should put them next to each other.