5.1/7.1 surround sound advice needed

For way to long I have only had 2.1 sound on my pc. I have finally decided to go surround and so I have bought a Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card for my PC. I don’t really care about my TV remaining stereo, as most of its sources are stereo anyway. My main aim is for my computer to have really good quality sound, mainly for movies, I don’t play games much so I am not desperate for 7.1 sound for games. My problem is this, I have very limited space. I dont really wish to start trailing cable all over the room for a surround setup for my PC. I have drawn a diagram of my room, as well as potential sound obsticles/absorbers.

Is their any way I can get 5.1/7.1 sound using just the space on my desk? Would I be ok if I used only my desk and 2 mounted rear speakers (fixed to the wall). Would I need to do this with 5.1, or only 7.1? Also, if most of what I watch is 5.1 movies and listen to stereo audio CDs, am I going to benefit from 7.1, or would I be best to stick with 5.1? How much better does 7.1 sound with normal stereo/5.1 content? Or does 5.1 give the feel of being “surrounded” well enough. Also what is the best way to fix to the wall, do they normnally come with brackets (I am looking at the Creative T7900 7.1). I have looked and it does not appear there would be room for stands.

Regards,

Ben

Oh, and here are some diagrams I found showing the positions of 5.1 and 7.1

5.1 setup:

This is my proposal for a layout, the red is what is in 5.1, and the two blue ones are the extra ones for 7.1.

Hey Ben.
Here is how I have my 5.1 Klipsch Pro Media system set up, and it rocks…

Gotta love them Klipsch :smiley:

The klipsch promedia’s are fantastic. But I must confess that at low volume, my Altec Lansing 5.1’s actually have a little better sound quality. Not that I usually have the klipsch on low volume. :slight_smile: But, the als 5.1’s are pretty good for low end stuff. They just don’t have the upper range and deep bass.

Ben,

(LTNS, btw) 5.1 will be more than enough, if you don’t have enough space, i.e. you won’t profit anything from 7.1 in a smaller room.

Last, but not least, have the satellite speakers on the wall, just a little higher than your head. The Subwoofer has to be always on the floor, right or left side from the center speaker.

This is how to do it in an ideal way: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/cinema/index8.html