5.0.3.5 Smaller file size + lower playback rate = poor video quality

vbimport

The following was observed with both versions using all default options and the PS3 profile

On DVDFab Platinum v 4.1.2.0 a 2 hour movie file size was approx 1 GB and averaged 1.2 Gbits/sec data rate on playback

The same movie on DVDFab Platinum 5.0.3.5 is about 640 MB and averages about 500 k bits/sec on playback.

Overall the picture quality is a good deal poorer at the lower playback data rate. The only thing that did remain constant was the encoding times.

Any suggestions to regain the higher resolution? Again, no options were changed with either version. Even though 5.0.3.5 indicated the data rate was 1.2Gbps, it did not play back that fast.

Regards,

Tracy Ann

I have noticed the same thing and have sent sample files to the developers. This was with the H264 codec and may effect many profiles. I was using the Archos H264+MP3 profile. The image improved slowly the longer the movie ran but never got back to where it should have been.

I notice the same type of thing happening with version 5.0.3.0 using the default PS3 profile at 3072 bitrate (2-pass). The resulting MP4 file shows as 1536 kb/s on VLC, exactly half.

In a similar vain, my custom test profile that creates a H264 + AC3 in an MKV file at 10000 bitrate comes up averaging around 1000 kb/s. It also does something weird during playback in VLC; the video plays fine but the time at the bottom keeps jumping back 10 seconds or so for a frame or two. The slider is doing a little dance as the movie plays. I think the timestamps are off on some of the frames.

I didn’t see these problems on previous versions. I would think that this line from the 5.0.3.0 release notes is telling:

New: Updated H.264 codec to improve encoding speed. (DVDFab Mobile Option)

Obviously whatever was changed in 5.0.3.0 is still present in 5.0.3.5 as far as H264 is concerned.

I sent Ting files from the same HDD folder converted with 4.1.2.0 and 5.0.3.5 yesterday USA time, he will fix it.

hi,

I have got the sample file, I will try to fix it,

a question, the profile your using is ps3.default or just ps3 ?

[quote=Ting;2079864]hi,

I have got the sample file, I will try to fix it,

a question, the profile your using is ps3.default or just ps3 ?[/quote]

PS3 with bitrate changed to 3072 and 2-pass encoding results in 1536 bitrate.

Seems to occur with any H264 conversion. I’m not sure if it is related, but the following custom profile averages about 1000 bitrate even though it is set to 10000 (using 1-pass).

<profile name="PlayStation 3 - Film MKV" version="200" device="ps3" tag="dvdfab" description="The profile is used to create mkv(h264 + audiocopy) file, which can be played in Playstation 3.">
<common>
<file format="mkv"/>
<audio copy="1" />
<video>
<size list=""/>
<subtitle mode="0" />
<outfps mode="3" value="23.976" list="23.976,24,25,29.97,30" />
<encode codec="h264" fourcc="H264" bitrate_kbps="10000" maxbitrate_kbps="10000" >
<mode value="real_time" list="real_time, high_quality" />
</encode>
</video>
</common>
<vcodec name="h264">
<generic profile="0" level="41" />
</vcodec>
</profile>

I’m seeing this same issue. I’m using ps3.default. I have customized the bitrate to 3072. On 1-pass I see it 100% of the time, however, I’ve ripped a few using 2-pass, and I get better results… about 75% of the time the resulting filesize is close to the prediction DVDFab gave me before the rip. I have a batch running about 4 movies right now on 2-pass, since last night I did them all on 1-pass and got the lower quality bitrate, so we’ll see what happens.

However, on a side note… for some reason VLC always shows me a bitrate of 1536kb/s. I have been burning ALL of my videos using ps3.default, 2-pass, 3072kb/s for the past year, and VLC shows me 1536kb/s as the bitrate on all of them. Maybe it’s reading the wrong info somewhere?

edit: I’m using 5.0.3.5

This problem will show up in any profile that uses the H264 codec. Hoping for a quick fix from Ting. :slight_smile:

Looks like my MP4 files are not displaying the problem. The bitrate in Gspot is similar to 3072. Guess I jumped to a conclusion when the bitrate in VLC was exactly half.

On the MKV file, VLC shows a running bitrate rather than a static one but I wonder if it is similarly incorrect. Anyone know of a program similar to Gspot that will read MKV files? I have a feeling that VLC is correct because the original MPEG2 test file is 195MB, the standard PS3 at 3072 bitrate file is 88MB, and the MKV at 10000 bitrate is only 25MB.

BTW, on the original post I was typing at the same time as Signals and didn’t see his post; he is damn fast on the draw.

[quote=Complication;2080031]Looks like my MP4 files are not displaying the problem. The bitrate in Gspot is similar to 3072. Guess I jumped to a conclusion when the bitrate in VLC was exactly half.

On the MKV file, VLC shows a running bitrate rather than a static one but I wonder if it is similarly incorrect. Anyone know of a program similar to Gspot that will read MKV files? I have a feeling that VLC is correct because the original MPEG2 test file is 195MB, the standard PS3 at 3072 bitrate file is 88MB, and the MKV at 10000 bitrate is only 25MB.

BTW, on the original post I was typing at the same time as Signals and didn’t see his post; he is damn fast on the draw.[/quote]And it often shows in his typing. :slight_smile: The bitrates in the tools I have show about 66% lower with 5.0.3.5 compared with 4.1.2.0 with the exact same input and settings.

As a follow up… I’m running 2-pass conversions on 4 movies at the moment… 2 are finished and they both are correct… meaning they are hitting the filesize that DVDFab predicted in the conversion settings window, and the quality is what I expect. Reminder, that the same 4 movies, when converted using 1-pass last night came up about 66% (as signals noted) of the predicted size. Soo… for me atleast, 2-pass seems to be working better than 1-pass… that’s a first! :wink:

[quote=triggerx44;2080135]As a follow up… I’m running 2-pass conversions on 4 movies at the moment… 2 are finished and they both are correct… meaning they are hitting the filesize that DVDFab predicted in the conversion settings window, and the quality is what I expect. Reminder, that the same 4 movies, when converted using 1-pass last night came up about 66% (as signals noted) of the predicted size. Soo… for me atleast, 2-pass seems to be working better than 1-pass… that’s a first! ;)[/quote]What profile are you using? //EDIT//Never mind, found it above.

Thanks everyone for the quick response and attention. If possible, I am an even bigger DVDFab fan now :slight_smile:

MediaInfo will read mkv files…
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

Ting
Thank you for fixing this. Video quality back to normal with v5.0.4.0 Beta. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Looks great even full screen from 480x208 encode. Note: Encoded 10:00 runtime VOB in 5 minutes 7 seconds, this is close to 60 fps, but the readout said 47.7 fps. It was really faster than DVDFab was reporting. ??

[quote=t0nee1;2080211]MediaInfo will read mkv files…
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo[/quote]

Thanks for the info t0nee1. The program is a little temperamental accessing it’s DLL but otherwise works.

Sure enough, the MKV file made with 5.0.3.0 shows up as “917 Kbps” in MediaInfo.

The same profile settings in 5.0.4.0 Beta result show up as “10.0 Mbps” in MediaInfo and the file is much bigger. The resulting file is still unreadable by mkv2vob (to make it PS3 compatible) but I’m starting to think it is more that just the Codec ID that is bad. I wonder if I should start a new thread or post in the beta thread about the problem.

[quote=Complication;2081116]Thanks for the info t0nee1. The program is a little temperamental accessing it’s DLL but otherwise works.

Sure enough, the MKV file made with 5.0.3.0 shows up as “917 Kbps” in MediaInfo.

The same profile settings in 5.0.4.0 Beta result show up as “10.0 Mbps” in MediaInfo and the file is much bigger. The resulting file is still unreadable by mkv2vob (to make it PS3 compatible) but I’m starting to think it is more that just the Codec ID that is bad. I wonder if I should start a new thread or post in the beta thread about the problem.[/quote]
Hi Complication, Ting has a thread to post in just for these problems, please post there and I am sure he will see it. Ting is a member of Fengtaos Authoring Team and he will be glad to help with any problems you encounter.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/please-tell-me-problem-when-you-using-dvdfab-mobile-function-230642/