Fengtao, 5.0.1.5 is having some issues with Win 98. It takes about 2
minutes to start up (with anti virus disabled) & occasionally causes the
pc to freeze.

All previous versions (2.x-4.x) started quite quickly. What I’m seeing
is first the main process starts, followed about a minute later by the
mobile process, followed about a minute after that by the interface
becoming available.

Upgrade your OS…

You are rigth, this latest version is much slower to start up in older Windows versions. :sad:

These are the times on my Windows Me computer for DVDFab Platinum.

Version 3.0.2.6 - 33 seconds
Version 4.1.2.0 - 35 seconds
Version 5.0.1.5 - 60 seconds

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2053267]Upgrade your OS…[/QUOTE]

That may not be an option for the OP, unfortunately some older systems that are still running
Win98 are not capable of being upgraded to say XP or Vista. I would just suggest maybe adding
more RAM that may or may not help with the problem of slow loading of v5 Fab like the old saying
goes “you can never have too much Ram” :disagree:

If this is the solution then Win98 and ME should be removed from the list of supported OS’s (note that the release notes for DVDFab 5 Beta make no mention of what OS’s are supported, so I’m going by the list of supported OS’s the the website gives for version 4.x).

That is rude.You don’t know MooMooMooMoo’s circumstances what ever they are.

[QUOTE=mwb1100;2053569]If this is the solution then Win98 and ME should be removed from the list of supported OS’s (note that the release notes for DVDFab 5 Beta make no mention of what OS’s are supported, so I’m going by the list of supported OS’s the the website gives for version 4.x).[/QUOTE]
I have a friend that got v.5 before the May 8 dead line. He has 98 & so far it has froze his computer every time.He got it so when he finally does get a new computer he will have the lifetime upgrades.
I had 98SE before I got Vista & I will tell you I liked 98 a lot better than Vista.One of my main problems with 98 was less software available & same for drivers.So if a software no longer works correctly with 98 it should be in the system requirements listed on the software site.

[QUOTE=cholla;2053622]That is rude.You don’t know MooMooMooMoo’s circumstances what ever they are. [/QUOTE]
Thank you!
:wink:

[QUOTE=cholla;2053622]
I have a friend that got v.5 before the May 8 dead line. He has 98 & so far it has froze his computer every time.He got it so when he finally does get a new computer he will have the lifetime upgrades.
His computer would barely support XP maybe but he has ripped & burned many discs with his old computer using AnyDVD & CloneDVD2.
I had 98SE before I got Vista & I will tell you I liked 98 a lot better than Vista.One of my main problems with 98 was less software available & same for drivers.So if a software no longer works correctly with 98 it should be in the system requirements listed on the software site.[/QUOTE]

Cholla, in case in helps your friend, after 2 reboots the freezing problem seems to have been solved.

I do prefer Win 98 to other MS systems. IMO, other then the end of patches issued by MS (Catch 22) Win 98 SE is the most secure operating system MS has ever released. A friend gave me an xp box awhile back which I’ve used OFFLINE for video editiing (mostly working with ISO’s & converting PAL to NTSC) due to the 4 gb FAT 32 file size limit on Win 98 & I finally put it on the internet recently due to 1 particular piece of software no longer supporting Win 98.

Ever since it feels like I spend a silly amount of time making sure the XP box hasn’t been infected with the worm of the week! I also know Win 98 really thouroughly & don’t feel as comfortable with XP.

My Win 98 box is still set up as my main machine & is where I use DVD Fab.

It has been repeatadly confirmed that DVD Fab continues to support Win 98.

MooMooMooMoo;I will pass the info on rebooting to my friend.I know he reboots after any install & usually right before.He feels it’s most likely a conflict with some other software installed on his computer.
I haven’t had but one virus on my Vista machine & I found it quickly .It appeared not to have done anything.I do keep a secure system.
The same with my 98se computer I’ve only had 2 viruses on it both with one download of a zipping software.
I still have 98se on my old computer & it is still my main DVD ripping & burning machine.I use AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 on it with no problems.
It is offline about 99% of the time.It is on dial-up so very slow online.
I eventually will get a router & put it on DSL with my Vista machine.If I can.
Right now it wouldn’t run XP even if I had a copy much less Vista.But it runs along happily with 98se.
You may have already done this but it makes my 98se run better.Update the ASPI & get NUSB31E.EXE.I think these were from Windows ME but it makes driver installation more automatic & the USB work better.

cholla, I noticed you mentioned your friend is using AnyDVD. Do they know that AnyDVD will cause DVD fab to freeze? I apologize if you already know this but in case you don’t, for the 2 programs to get along:

1. Shut Down AnyDVD
  2. Start Up DVD Fab
  3. Go to options (Green check mark)/DVD Protection
  4. Uncheck the first 4 boxes and the remove structure protection
  5. Re Start AnyDVD

While DVD Fab will still give a warning message on startup, the 2 programs will now get along. The other option is to not use Any DVD. I prefer using them together.

I also have 1 Win 98 box that ran perfectly but is to old for XP. Ironically, I put it in my car to give to my father, & it died during the car ride to his house…

MooMooMooMoo; I bet he knows I think he usually has AnyDVD set on manual start .He’s the one that started me burning discs.
I think this is the first time he has bought DVDFab but he first taught me with freeware like he learned on.The DVDFab HD Decrypter,DVDShrink & ImgBurn combination.When I saw how easy AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 worked together I bought those.
I will have him look at your last post though.It never hurts to have some additional information.He told me today both the last DVDFab 4 & 5 still freeze his computer so bad he has to hard shutdown.

My apologies for starting another similar thread so soon, but I want to make sure Fengtao sees this.

With 5.0.2.0, the program takes about 2 minutes to start as did the beta.
It then crashes everytime while scanning the disc. This is repeatable, & no other dvd related programs are running. Here’s the Windows info:

DVDFAB caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:1c22630e.
Registers:
EAX=0137bc54 CS=0187 EIP=1c22630e EFLGS=00010246
EBX=81d5f144 SS=018f ESP=04baff94 EBP=04baffcc
ECX=0137bcc0 DS=018f ESI=00000000 FS=5c27
EDX=81d6d0bc ES=018f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Hey, its now 2008!

what do expect for win98 ???

microsoft abandoned it years ago so how can other vendors support it properly.

• get real & buy a proper O/S if you want a program that defeats CURRENT dvd protections! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cybmole;2054646]Hey, its now 2008!

what do expect for win98 ???

microsoft abandoned it years ago so how can other vendors support it properly.

• get real & buy a proper O/S if you want a program that defeats CURRENT dvd protections! :-)[/QUOTE]

As several of us stated in the prior thread, THE PROGRAM OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS WIN 98. Read your license, & Fengtao’s previous statements.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2054650]As several of us stated in the prior thread, THE PROGRAM OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS WIN 98. Read your license, & Fengtao’s previous statements.[/QUOTE]

dream on - win 98 is obsolete - deal with it .

A quick question if I might to the 98 users. It took 35 sec for 4.1.2.0 to open.
How long does it take to rip and burn an average DVD?

flopguy;I don’t have DVDFab platinum or gold so I can’t give you the speed on those.
On my 98 computer.Pentium 3.
AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 takes about 1hour 10 minutes average to rip & compress a copy protected DVD to HD.Then about 10 minutes to burn to a backup DVD.
You probably know this but that is from a DL comercial DVD aprox 8GB to a 4.36GB to fit on a single layer DVD disc.

[QUOTE=flopguy;2054987]A quick question if I might to the 98 users. It took 35 sec for 4.1.2.0 to open.
How long does it take to rip and burn an average DVD?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t timed it, but ripping speed on 4.x for me is similar to 3.x & 2.x. Averages 10-20 minutes. I rarely compress, but often split or customize.
That doesn’t include burning, I use Nero as a standalone to burn all discs. While I know it’s gotten better in the 4.x series, 2.x & 3.x had issues with burning, so I got into the habit of using Nero.

IMPORTANT: I started a second thread on this, but it’s dropped way down:
DO NOT INSTALL the final (5.0.2.0) on Win 98. IT repeatedly crashes when trying to scan the dvd. The beta didn’t do that.

Hopefully Fengtao will read one of these threads & address it.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2054646] microsoft abandoned it years ago so how can other vendors support it properly.[/QUOTE]
I don’t want to derail this topic any.But actually MS stopped support for Windows 98 July 11,2006 so less than 2 years ago.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2054646]- get real & buy a proper O/S if you want a program that defeats CURRENT dvd protections! :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]
How is the above helpful?
The reason this question is being asked is Windows 98 is supposed to meet the System Requirements of DVD Fab 5.0.2.0. Acording to the DVDFab web site.MooMooMooMoo & a friend of mine are having the same problem since they have Windows 98.
If this software doesn’t work on Windows 98 the DVD Fab web site should put that in the System Requirements so people with Windows 98 wouldn’t purchase the software.
Fengtao needs to fix DVD Fab 5.0.2.0 so it works with Windows 98 since he sold it to people stating that Windows 98 meets the System Requirements.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2054646] CURRENT dvd protections [/QUOTE] for everything I have tried to backup.
So Windows 98 is capable of doing this with software that works on it.
Right now DVD Fab 5.0.2.0 doesn’t work on Windows 98 but is being sold as if it does.This needs to be fixed with an update & only Fengtao & DVDFab can do that.

[B]I think the best thing Fengtao could do is remove ANY reference to Win 98 from the website so that there are not any unreal expectations. [/B]

I agree while that is there, expectations are set.

For you guys with Win 98, I would suggest that you really need to start planning to upgrade your system NOW !!!

As Cholla has said, Microsoft abandoned support for the OS around 2 years ago, and I think that you have got your value out of the O/S.

I, as a developer, notified my clients 3 years ago that I was no longer supporting Win 98, Win 98 SE or Win ME and there was no negative feedback.

Only “We knew we would eventually have to do it. It was just a matter of when”

Yeah, I hope he removes all references to Win 98/Win 98 Se & ME from his website.

Read my full answer in your other post.