4x recording probs on DRU 500AX

vbimport

Hiya all :slight_smile:

OK I decided to buy a couple of pots of 25 4x media, to test out the writing of the 4x on my new Sony 500ax

Now, whats going on i dont know but :slight_smile:

I recorded the first one in 31 mins, so it wasnt 4x at all, only 2x

:frowning:

I then put the same brand in again, and it was 16 mins! It did exactly the same with the other media type… some seem to record at x2, others at x4

Has anyone got an insight as to why it would do this, or how I can get around it?

It would be pointless having a 4x writer if the majority are going to record at 2x :frowning:

Chris

I tried Princo 1-4x DVD-R and Maxell 1-4x DVD+R.
The Princo burned at 2x ant the Maxell at 4x.

i have the same prob (almost). i have some red top datawrite media (4x) and it takes 30 mins to burn even tho nero says it’s burning at 4x.

tried doing some iso’s with dvddecrypter as well and had the same problem.

no matter what i do i cant get a 4x burn :frowning:

Try different media,I used ‘4x’ Ritek media
from www.meritline.com and my DRU-500a would never burn a DVD in under a half hour. But since I started using Memorex,it does most around 15 minutes. The only caveat is that it’s +R media,and some people’s players(even some new ones) don’t play them. Go to
www.vcdhelp.com for an updated list on what plays in what…:cool:

just got some free samples of 4x media. will try to write on those tonight

Originally posted by Ruffrob
Try different media,I used ‘4x’ Ritek media
from www.meritline.com and my DRU-500a would never burn a DVD in under a half hour. But since I started using Memorex,it does most around 15 minutes. The only caveat is that it’s +R media,and some people’s players(even some new ones) don’t play them. Go to
www.vcdhelp.com for an updated list on what plays in what…:cool:

Been having the same problem with the sony dru500ax for a few weeks it seems if it likes the media it will write at 4x but if it dont then 2x is all you can expect
I also have a spindle of RITEK 4X but only get 2x max out of them (well tried 3 so far and all burned at 2x)
latest firmware installed correctly

i’ve tried white top datawrite and can only get 2x out of them, same for silvertop unbranded ritek’s. have been able to burn on pioneer at 4x with 0 difficulties (meaning i was playing a dvd and downloading loads at the same time).

have traxdata and memorex left to try

any other -r media i can try?

Best bet,try a major brand,then search for a discount on it,cause my experience
with those internet DVD outlets has been
less than stellar. Case in point,I got a 50 spindle of so-called ‘4x’ media,and the first 5 burned at 4x,then the other 45 took a half an hour or more. it’s a good thing i wasn’t pressed for time…:rolleyes:

Zero problems with 4X Ritek G04 -R and Verbatim 4X +R. All take little under 15 min for a full disc and about 30 seconds longer when the drive is in a external enclosure.

Everyone needs to degrade to firmware 1.0d and then you will be able to record at 4x.
I have been recording on ORANGE BULKPAQ 4X DVD-R with out any trouble since downgrading.

And these are the CHEAPEST 4X DVD-R media on the market.

where do you download that from?

Hi tomos. The link is “http://www.sonydru500a.com/

Regards all.

thanks

Why not get some top notch Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-r’s??

http://www.riverproaudio.co.uk/index.html

Media details from DVDinfo:

Media Information
Region info N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Mfr ID TYG01
Formatted Size Blank
Total Size 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media type V2.2 DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
Current Drive Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
Default Rotation Control CLV
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
No of Layers 1

the 4x ones are £1.70 each :eek:

i just ordered some orange top bulkpaq’s and some memorex. they work at 4x (as well as traxdata after going to the 1.0d firmware) :stuck_out_tongue:

TOMOS Try this site mate.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html

know about SVP mate :bigsmile:

that’s where i ordered them from. (they’re a sponsor on another forum i visit all the time)

I had some devine intervention in my TY order. I ordered 10 for £35 but got 100 instead :smiley: :smiley:

35p for a TY 4x DVD-r

:eek:

lucky b’stard

best i had was a free fingerprint scanner for my PC once

got my orange top bulkpaq’s today and only get 2x out of the 2 i;ve tried so far. will try another when i get home tonight from another drive, just in case, and with the 1.0f rather than d firmware (again just in case).

anyone got any tips?