4x -r wont play in my dvd players?

vbimport

someone please help… unknown dvd-r’s burn perfect and play perfect in both my samsung and sony 5 disc players. i just bought an unknown 4x dvd-r 100pack spindle that wont play in either dvd player but they play fine in my optorite dd0401. what gives? is there a way to burn them so they do play in the dvd players? i hope i didnt waist my money on some discs that can only be played in my burner, that would suck bigtime.

p.s. im using alcohol 120% to burn the dvd image files.

It all depends on your burner and firmware. Try upgrading (or downgrading) to a new firmware. As they are DVD-R disks, you cannot change the booktype which might have helped. Also, try CopyToDVD, I find this often gives a more compatible burn. If neither of these helps, sorry - you’ve bought incompatible disks.

There’s no such thing as “unknown” media. Consult the media FAQ and find out what the media is. Obviously your movie players don’t like some DVD-R so you will have to dry a different burn speed or different media.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Obviously your movie players don’t like some DVD-R so you will have to dry a different burn speed or different media.

thats sooooo weird… thank you both for your advice. i tried “different burn speeds” and sure enough my players only read burns of 2x. what the hell is that about? what is the logic behind this? why wouldnt it read a 4x burn? same data just at a different transfer speed… i’m lost :confused: so… conclusion…

i bought 4x’s to get a faster burn but i cant play them without burning at 2x. so i guess i waisted my money. :sad:

i just got a couple of memorex +rw 2.4x so i’ll see how those go too. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!:bigsmile:

You never said what burner you have, I’ll guess it’s a LiteOn 411 or 811, cause this is a common problem for them. Switching to DVD+R will cure it if your players support +R.

In any case, yes compatability issues get pretty weird.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]You never said what burner you have, I’ll guess it’s a LiteOn 411 or 811, cause this is a common problem for them. Switching to DVD+R will cure it if your players support +R.

In any case, yes compatability issues get pretty weird. [/B]

i did say what drive i had. +R media is too expensive for me. i am unemployed.

but they play fine in my optorite dd0401

Originally posted by scr2004ge
i did say what drive i had. +R media is too expensive for me. i am unemployed.

Then you should have plenty of time to burn that media at 2x…unless your unemployment income is based on your dvd output…not good: :cop:

very funny.

2.4x +rw dont work in my dvd player either. are they only for backing up data or can they be used also for dvd-rom video.

also… whats +vr (something nero recognizes)

also… is it worth it to buy a dvd-ram burner? can -ram be played in dvd players? 9.4gb on each side… sounds great!