4x or 8x dvd help

I’m new to the dvd burner hardware and was wondering what drive to get .I have a p4 1.3 with 256megs or ram ,i plan on using it to transfer some vhs to dvd and i also have a digital 8 camcorder that i would like to back up and maybe copy some of my tivo recordings to dvd.Just wondering because the new 8x are out and the 4x should be dropping in price. and since this is a older computer. and the dual layered are coming out soon.thanks

Depends on your budget and when you want to do this.

If you have the money, get the Plextor 8x burner. If you don’t care about the extra bit of speed, get the Pioneer A06 4x burner. If money is really tight, get the NEC 1300a and use the modified firmware available for it.

If you can wait about a year or so, the dual density burners and the media they’ll use will be out and maybe down in price where you can actually buy them.

You might want to pick up another 256mb ram for your computer while you are at it. It will help quite a bit.

In addition to what Kerry said,get yourself a good video card,your video input will only be as good as that…Good Luck,and let us know how it goes…:cool:

I didn’t want to spend to much money,i was lookin at the 4x tdk for 159.99 plus a 20.00 rebate free shipping and no tax,and the extra wait isn’t a problem either versus the 8x .The video card is a geforce 3 ti 200 and i was thinking about getting a new computer in about a year.Do they still make the rdram in pc 800?
Thanks

new Lite-On 8X dvdwriters released
it cost’s 155euro here in Belgium

Well i picked up the pioneer a06 ,can anyone recommend the best dvd 's to use with this drive?
Chuck

The Pioneer A06 is known to be pretty good with cheaper media. If you are buying online and looking for fairly inexpensive stuff, you might look for the Ritek G04 disks. Rima, Hyper Micro and allmediaoutlet are just a few of the many places online that carry them. Taiyo Yudens are more expensive but very good.

Buying by brand name is generally a crapshoot. You don’t know what you’ll be getting till you run an id program to see who manufactured it.

Thanks everybody for all your help.
Chuck

@Ruffrob

In addition to what Kerry said,get yourself a good video card,your video input will only be as good as that…Good Luck,and let us know how it goes

What the hell’s a graphics card got to do with the quality of the input.
The graphics card is for the output and plays no part at all in the input.
It is the capture device that you are using that makes the difference not the display card unless you were refering to a combined card.

@kerry56

If you are buying online and looking for fairly inexpensive stuff, you might look for the Ritek G04 disks.

This makes it sound as if Ritek disks are of cheap quality. Quite on the contrary the Riteks are widely known to be the BEST and most compatible disks money can buy.

Well Ashyx it may be your opinion that Ritek’s are the best, but that doesn’t make it so.

Plenty of other good disks out there, including the more expensive TY’s I mentioned in that post. I believe one of the mod’s here prefers RicohJPNR00 disks above most everything else (which may in fact be Ritek—hard to tell on the Ritek/Ricoh situation).

I personally like the 4x MCC +R disks burned at 2.4x speed. They suit my particular combination of equipment and firmware rather well.

Now, if you want to argue quality/price combination, the Ritek G04’s may be the best available, since they are so inexpensive compared to the others I have mentioned. If you want to talk about longevity, no one knows at this point, but my bet would be on the Taiyo Yudens. So, how do you want to define “best”?

Originally posted by Ashyx

What the hell’s a graphics card got to do with the quality of the input.

My bad…that’s what I meant… a combined card,…:cool:

Originally posted by Kerry56
[B]Well Ashyx it may be your opinion that Ritek’s are the best, but that doesn’t make it so.

Plenty of other good disks out there, including the more expensive TY’s I mentioned in that post. I believe one of the mod’s here prefers RicohJPNR00 disks above most everything else (which may in fact be Ritek—hard to tell on the Ritek/Ricoh situation).

I personally like the 4x MCC +R disks burned at 2.4x speed. They suit my particular combination of equipment and firmware rather well.

Now, if you want to argue quality/price combination, the Ritek G04’s may be the best available, since they are so inexpensive compared to the others I have mentioned. If you want to talk about longevity, no one knows at this point, but my bet would be on the Taiyo Yudens. So, how do you want to define “best”? [/B]

I have to agree i have tdks that are RITEKS they work ok but nothing like the mitsubishi chemical dvd disks (Verbatam datalifeplus azo) that i own.