4x DVD+RW media widely available!

vbimport

Well, I am finally pleased to say that I now have in my possession a 10-pack of 4x DVD+RW media, and I got it all for free. Thank you, CompUSA for screwing my order up and giving me a free $50 gift card. Now let’s get on to business.

I checked their website at this link to see if the product was available at a CompUSA near me. The site said it was in stock at a CompUSA about 10 minutes from my house so off I went, gift card in hand. Everything went smoothly, and soon I was back home with my 10-pack of Memorex 4x DVD+RW media, and $1.52 richer (they actually gave me change from my gift card, instead of leaving it on the card as credit). I grabbed a single-layer DVD that was as close to full as I could get (Baseketball, 4.35GiB) and ripped in ISO mode with DVDDecrypter 3.1.6.0. About eight minutes later I had an ISO to burn.

Here is the box:

Here is the first case I grabbed out of the box:

Here is an actual disc:

I popped the first 4x DVD+RW that I opened into my drive and WindowsXP immediately recognized it as a blank disc with 4.37GiB of free space. So far, so good. I loaded up DVDDecrypter to burn in ISO mode, and selected my Baseketball ISO. As a test to see if the software would correctly identify the +RW as a 4x disc, I chose “MAX” (instead of “4x”) as my burn speed. It asked if I wanted to format the disc before burning, and I clicked yes. A few seconds later I was burning - at 4x! The burning process jumped back and forth between 4x and 4.1x the entire burn, completing in 14:14. That’s impressive!

Here is a screenshot of DVDDecrypter burning my +RW at 4x:

Well, it’s great and all that it burned at 4x, but did it even burn properly? I put the disc in my DVD player (Apex AD-1500) and it was immediately recognized as a DVD. I watched the movie from beginning to end with absolutely no problems. The disc also played back properly in my DRU-510A. In conclusion, I’d have to say that the disc worked flawlessly. Anyone who is looking for some 4x DVD+RW media, they are in stock in most CompUSA stores (the nearest five stores to my location all had some in stock). At $4.50 a disc, they might be a little on the pricy side (doesn’t matter to me, I got them for free), but they just came out, and they’re branded. It’s worth it for anyone who does a lot of test burns (like me) or for someone who archives/backs up large amounts of data (like me). Enjoy!

:slight_smile:

VCDmonger

For anyone who might be interested in who manufactured the Memorex 4x DVD+RW discs I purchased at CompUSA, I put in the DVD I burned from my first test and ran DVDInfo Pro. It gave me this info on the burned media:

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name BASKBALL
Application id
Implementation id MEI
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 10/27/1998 9:26:41
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Free Blocks 0
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

I then put in a fresh blank Memorex 4x DVD+RW disc, and DVDInfo Pro reported this info:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Format Capacity Blank
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
BG Format Status Not Formatted
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

It seems that these discs were all manufactured by RICOH Japan, which of course is great news, as they are known for producing quality media. Anyone in need of 4x DVD+RW media should jump on this before Memorex switches to a cheaper manufacturer, which a number of other companies have done.

VCDmonger