4TB WD Hard Drive 139.00

vbimport

This is something that everyone with a desktop should have as a data drive.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2736288]http://www.frys.com/product/8078024?site=frysecampaign1+date:090514

This is something that everyone with a desktop should have as a data drive.[/QUOTE]

I seen that at MicroCenter sites and stores already. Cost is way prohibited when you can get a 3tb for less now if that was the price for a 6tb drive that would be different. Also I heard they got now 8tb drives coming out.

4tb drives have been around for about 4 years so they should drop to about $99 (or less) in the next year. That’s about where it would need to get to on this black Friday for me to jump and buy one. Lowest I’ve seen 'em is $109 - $119. The problem with dropping prices is that the low end of the marketplace still keeps demand up for low end parts (aka the cheapest). That puts “HIGH” demand on 1tb drives. So, instead of it clearing out at $25 for that 1tb drive, they can charge $40…
and that puts 4tb drives in the $120-$160 category. When consumers start buying 2tb+ drives and shunning the 1tb drives… then the market can discontinue the 1tb and charge $40 for the 2tb drives shifting everything higher. Do we buy 1gb flash drives anymore? Not really.

As for ddr memory… I should be able to buy ddr3 8gb sticks for $40 by now-- not $75+ These mfg’s really “STICK” it to the consumer with market manipulation. And there have been no long term serious disruptions in the last 5 years of production.

BTW, 8tb drives are enterprise and likely to have a hefty price tag. At least HDD makers drop prices relatively consistently… you can’t say that of any other PC parts niche.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2736646]BTW, 8tb drives are enterprise and likely to have a hefty price tag. At least HDD makers drop prices relatively consistently… you can’t say that of any other PC parts niche.[/QUOTE]

But heck they do sounds sweet… a 8tb drive…enterprise or not it will come pretty soon if they want to keep the market shares away from SSD.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2736666]But heck they do sounds sweet… a 8tb drive…enterprise or not it will come pretty soon if they want to keep the market shares away from SSD.[/QUOTE]

SSD has got a LOOONG way to go in price cuts to get anywhere near threatening HDD market share. While I give credit for their R&D on the higher capacities & speed… they seem to keep that 10x price ratio firmly entrenched…

compare: 1tb hdd average street price $40 - $55. average SSD 1tb drive ~$400

Let’s say 1tb ssd costs ~$85 to make the drive in volume (today)… the fair market retail should be $250 - $300… not $400. until they cut out all that greed and shorten the sinkhole where mainstream demand would be… all they’ll really sell is maybe 250k (1tb+ ssd, not including hybrids)all year while hdd makers will sell millions of drive a year. pricing is a big factor.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2736779]SSD has got a LOOONG way to go in price cuts to get anywhere near threatening HDD market share. While I give credit for their R&D on the higher capacities & speed… they seem to keep that 10x price ratio firmly entrenched…

compare: 1tb hdd average street price $40 - $55. average SSD 1tb drive ~$400

Let’s say 1tb ssd costs ~$85 to make the drive in volume (today)… the fair market retail should be $250 - $300… not $400. until they cut out all that greed and shorten the sinkhole where mainstream demand would be… all they’ll really sell is maybe 250k (1tb+ ssd, not including hybrids)all year while hdd makers will sell millions of drive a year. pricing is a big factor.[/QUOTE]

That’s the crutch of the problem now if one can buy a 3tb SSD for the same price as 3tb HDD they will fly off the shelves without advertisements for SSD. Now a 8tb SSD at HDD prices that will rock my day.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2736785]That’s the crutch of the problem now if one can buy a 3tb SSD for the same price as 3tb HDD they will fly off the shelves without advertisements for SSD. Now a 8tb SSD at HDD prices that will rock my day.[/QUOTE]
Bu that wont happen for a few years, an 8TB SSD now would cost in the range of 20,000USD, if you could buy one.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2736827]Bu that wont happen for a few years, an 8TB SSD now would cost in the range of 20,000USD, if you could buy one.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and cost two kidneys for it… lmao… :sad:

I think the latest dev. has ssd in the 4 - 6tb range… no 8tb+ ssd… unless it’s a custom config rigging several drives together as one contigious drive (raid). Perhaps because the killer app is hardcore data crunchng by supercomputers that we still see SSD drives getting primo prices. 10x that of a HDD. Maybe one day when that demand “cools” they will float back to consumer level prices. That or we get a new company who wants to satisfy the home market which is not greedy for profits right away.