4Tb Drives - another step down in prices

Sep 7th - Fry’s is listing their two Hitachi HGST 4Tbs with substantial price drops

The $229 4tb is the 7200rpm Sata3 model, the heat-producer. This new price is a $70 drop from last week, and is $20 less than their previous low ($249) from early August 2012.

The $299 4tb is their CoolSpin 5400rpm Sata3 product that has been listed in the $400-500 range earlier in the month.

This is why I’m hoping Stormy will open up his 12Tb drives in the $150 range - no need to lag around with up-and-down pricings - just start 'em off at that nice price and save all that ink and paper from silly ad gimmicks!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2653686]Sep 7th - Fry’s is listing their two Hitachi HGST 4Tbs with substantial price drops

The $229 4tb is the 7200rpm Sata3 model, the heat-producer. This new price is a $70 drop from last week, and is $20 less than their previous low ($249) from early August 2012.

The $299 4tb is their CoolSpin 5400rpm Sata3 product that has been listed in the $400-500 range earlier in the month.

This is why I’m hoping Stormy will open up his 12Tb drives in the $150 range - no need to lag around with up-and-down pricings - just start 'em off at that nice price and save all that ink and paper from silly ad gimmicks![/QUOTE]

You can buy a 4Tb Seagate external formatted for Mac from Cost Captain for $211 and then strip out the drive. That has the 7200rpm Barracuda XT HD. Of course, Cost Captain takes 3-4 weeks for shipping…

Still, the 3tb drives are the current sweet spot $130 -$149…
The 4tb drives should’a been $199 by now… if all the rest of the drives have come down to their preflood levels, what makes 4tb drives so special in the etail/retail markup?? Just the last refuge of greed before HAMR??

BTW, new capacity hard drives are quickly becoming a legend like chupacabra… poop or get off the pot!!

And another step down - Fry’s… Sep 28… Hitachi 4tb 7200 Sata3 $199, and the Coolspin for $269.

I think the lowest pre-flood street price was about $169 for the 4tb drives… maybe $179. Also, no new capacity or hybrids taking the place of 4tb drives as capacity increases. Seagate could easily do a 5tb drive (4tb as HDD 1tb as SSD) for the $300 range-- and the SSD would be getting upwards of 500MB/sec… 1tb is enough for an o/s & installed program base. Apparently, many other re/etailers didn’t get the memo that the flood is over…

The longer these companies wait to plunk down money on a new mfg facility the faster their street prices will erode (until the next supply disaster strikes). Samsung’s already thowing down 7Billion… within 3 years they could be churning out internal or external usb 3.0 flash drives in the area of 4tb+ in the current hard drive price range today…

Our wholesale channels are just now lowering their prices to us for 3Tb below the original pre-flood 2011 levels, and at the time of the flood, their supplies of 4Tb were “test only” where builders at our level were restricted to quantities of 10s at near retail. Then supplies vanished.

It’s interesting that so many external 3tb became available and I surmised these were Original Models while the PreFlood Retail 3Tb ($139-ish) were 2nd- and 3rd- models. Those first-runs apparently are seldom sold in retail because they’re often test-beds for production.

Or were these the ones that were submerged? (“How’d those helium seals hold up?”)

(And please… no “arf arf” seal calls…)

Regardless, I think the $150-170 range is where 4Tb should be - will be. I’m shocked that it’s taken this long, and that so few 4Tb products are available at all.

Maybe Stormy’s threat that his 12Tb models will be arriving by the dozen has spurred them into those 12-14Tb ranges. I hope!

By the way, for you silly clockwatchers - October is “typhoon season” in the western Pacific. Here they come again…

Didn’t they raise the factory floor to higher ground or move production altogether?
It doesn’t seem a smart idea to tempt fate twice. We won’t probably see $150 this year… they are too greedy to fully exploit the flood price fluff-- perhaps at high enough volume at the wholesale level. Of which I know zero companies that sell at cost or a loss…

Thinking again, we’re so lucky that DRAM and HDD production is not in Japan by-en-large… or the world would really be screwed (earthquake & tsunami)-- that set 1/2 of Japan back economically 10 years-- though I really hope that push for hydrogen cars really pays off.

– though I really hope that push for hydrogen cars really pays off.

Probably enough Hydrogen bubbling up out of all that radioactive water to power them for decades…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2657099]Probably enough Hydrogen bubbling up out of all that radioactive water to power them for decades…[/QUOTE]

SHHHH!!! You’ll wake GODZILLA!!!

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2657832]SHHHH!!! You’ll wake GODZILLA!!![/QUOTE]

ROTFL! :bigsmile:

First weeks of October have seen Fry’s yo-yo these prices back to NewEgg’s $299 range.

Apparently, when consumers saw “7200rpm at $199 but 5400rpm at $269”, this price differential was enough to fan the “bad 7200rpm drive” flames.

So the prices have been jacked back up.

Remember, as a child, when some unpleasant uncle would dangle something above your head, just within reach, and yank it away, time after time? Even a child learns quickly enough to stop wasting any effort.

Our local Fry’s stores are going thru an awful empty-shelf-itis with rumors of imminent bankruptcy. There’s something about not being able to pay their suppliers and, now, without shelves being stocked, how many consumers are willing to point to an empty shelf and say, “I’ll buy THAT”?

I’d say the number is close to Zero.

But these yo-yo-ing prices don’t make me want to visit them, either. Now these Hitachi 4Tbs are $299 for the 7200s, and ‘only’ $269 for the 5400 green intelli-power units. The wholesale prices are still quite low, though, so I’m guessing someone’s believing they’re running Lucy’s Lemonade Stand: “Let’s charge a million - we only have to sell ONE!!”

Uh huh… it seems like the same intelligence that believes in Empty Shelves has been running on Empty Brains, too.

We’re about 38 days left before the clock strikes Black Friday. Many stores habitually jack up prices of products so that they don’t liquidate stock too soon so they have full shelves during the high volume sales… this is called stock aggregation. Then they lower the boom of the sales… not so good to sell something too soon, as they can earn HIGHR PROFITS by consumers shopping EN MASSE rather than piecemeal (MUCH better VOLUME shipping deals, are part of the mix as a factor).

As for Frys going out of business, I doubt it… some of the sales they’ve had recently probably lifted them… but a dismal BF season could kill many businesses, not just electronics heavy-weighted stores… Sears is always an example of one BF crashed sale away from bankruptcy.

On Amazon UK, both HDD and SSD prices are also creeping back up again, which I suspect is for a similar reason as Amazon are one of the few that do Black Friday promotions over here.

Just recently, I bought the Seagate 3TB for about £99 and currently it’s £114. The Hitachi 4TB is £210 and I’m fairly sure I saw it under £200 on Amazon a week ago.

A week ago I posted about the Crucial V4 256GB for £105. It’s now £127.

Go to Costco and buy 4Tb Touro external for $199. Crack it open, and ouila, new 4Tb of internal storage.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1226270/

Why do EXTERNAL drives seem to end up LOWER priced than internal drives…?

For the first 2+ decades of drive pricing it was internals that were cheaper. Is external storage more popular or less popular as a function of lowering the prices to levels lower than internal bare drives?

TMC, yes! If there is ONE retail strategy that raises a bigger red-flag on a product’s quality, it is always “Externals cheaper than Bare Drive” pricing.

I can understand the home-user’s belief that installing an HDD internally is a monumental task (especially if some New Device Wizards don’t work properly - trying to find the Control Panel, Admin Tools, etc, all manually) and thus “externals are so much easier”. I can understand “easier” being “more popular”. But the $5 power brick? The $5 external case? Those alone gobble into the profit margin.

Where does the additional margin come from?

I suspect it’s (1) from old, pre-flood inventory that was being horded, or (2) a new production run of questionable quality.

They can ship out external units and perhaps some large percentage of the failure-customers will have ‘broken open cases’ and thus voided warranties.

“Hello, RMA Department… oh? You got a bad drive? But you didn’t find out until after you broke open the case? Then we’re going to claim it’s YOU that broke the drive.” Yeah. Right.

But that’s what they can do! They have your money and got rid of dust-collecting inventory that shows up on their tax-rolls, too. Win Win for them.

But I’m always amazed to see this pricing strategy. “It must be really old stuff, or returned internals that they reassembled and are selling as New.”