4Kus EEPROM on LiteOn811S with LtnFlash

vbimport

I have seen that a 4Kus 811 of a friend have best performance of my LiteOn811s. Do you think that can a flash his EEPROM in my drive without problem?

The 4Kus is modded like LiteOn811 (have the liteOn firmware).

NO!

The EEPROM contains calibration data that is unique & specific to each drive. Do NOT ever interchange EEPROMs!

:sad:

Isn’t possibile to improve the quality of burning ?

But what’s the risk? I can backward to the original firmware.

If you do the eeprom swap you better backup your original, label it plainly so you can find it, and put it in 3 diferent spots and maybe to a cdr for safety before you muck around becuase like code65536 said every eeprom is unique to the drive it came on becuase it has the factory writing strategies for that drive only on it. The Zebra mod works becuase it adds generic best guess ones and some media calibration data to 401/411 drives. Some work very well after the mod, some don’t depending on the drive and whether the new calibrations were what the drive and media used likes.
You can try it, but it will probably be worse, BUT you might get lucky, you’ll probably just have to go back to the factory firmware and eeprom though.
If you blow up your drive bin it, that’s the risks you’ll take.

Sees your edited message

Well, you can flash your EEPROM around if you really want to. Just follow what Dartman said:

1. make sure you have backups because if you mess up and lose your backups, you’re screwed
  2. keep in mind that flashing around the EEPROM might work, but that is unlikely… but if you’re very very careful (see #1), then the only real risk is you losing a few blank discs as you test this out

I’ll make 20 Backup of my EEPROM: 5 on 2HD (on 5 different partition ), 5 on 5 different floppy, 5 on a CD-RW and 5 on a CD-R.
Do you think I will safe?

I had this idea because I ‘ve read how Zebra mod work. So’ I hope I’m lucky…:bigsmile:

Well 3 should do it but you should be be fine. hope you get lucky, let us know.

Originally posted by Dartman
Well 3 should do it but you should be be fine. hope you get lucky, let us know.

chuckles Well, we did emphasize being careful…

The first time I did anything w/ my EEPROM, I had no idea what I was doing, so I made 5 different backups and md5summed each of them. :wink:

Originally posted by code65536
…md5summed each of them. :wink:

What’s? I don’t understand. Is a checksum control made by some program?

Originally posted by Ventu
What’s? I don’t understand. Is a checksum control made by some program?

md5sum is a checksumming method. Don’t bother with it; your 20 backups is more than enough. :stuck_out_tongue: