4in1?

this maybe a dumb question but after searching the forums here i didn’t get all the info i wanted.

i hear about people who need to install 4in1 drivers, my friends were talking about installing 4in1 drivers after re-installing Windows, i hear people have problems if they don’t install 4in1 drivers. i myself have never installed or done anything with 4in1 drivers ever. my new motherboard came with a disk that has a 4in1 driver setup and various other programs on it, i have never used this disk and my comp works fine.

two questions:

1. are 4in1 drivers really needed?

2. and exactly what do they do?

hope these aren’t dumb questions, just wondering what i’m missing thats all.

You don’t actually NEED them in order to have a stable working operating system with your hardware (The VIA chipset in this case).

Usually the native drivers are working good enough to have a nice system.

But ViaTech offers the 4in1 drivers for accellerating purposes and hopefully , more stability than the native drivers that your Operating System works with.

In some cases , these ViaTech drivers have produced horrible results (that’s why they update them every month :slight_smile: ). In other cases it enhanced the Operating Systems speed immensly.

I’ve been using every ViaTech 4in1 driver i’ve downloaded with pleasing results on my AsusTek A7V motherboard , but i always wait a few weeks to check out if other people had issues with the latest drivers ViaTech offers.

That’s why I won’t use VIA!

Ya, never upgrade unless you have problems or you are really bored. What they do is essentially from its name, its just basically four drivers packed into one installer, which would detect your current set of the four types of drivers and install whichever one it has a newer version of.

A better explanation by www.viaarena.com 's FAQ section,
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=3&faq=7&Search=

Basically, the four drivers are IDE Filter Driver, AGP Driver, VIA Inf Driver, and IRQ Driver. Win98 uses all four, and every Windows cept WinNT uses all but the IRQ Driver.

Btw, the two newest versions are 4.42 and 4.43, I’m using 4.42 and it works great, of course some people may have problem with it.

Download the last VIA 4-in-1 drivers v4.42(P2) drivers here

Download the latest VIA 4-in-1 v4.43 drivers here

Hope that helped

I use the VIA drivers. With the native Win2K drivers i cannot burn CD copies “on the fly” on the secondary IDE channel any faster than about 24x. With the VIA drivers installed, I can burn copies at 48x. That’s enough reason for me.

I always use the VIA drivers, even on WinXP systems. Ofcourse the built-in WinXP drivers work fine, but the VIA drivers are way faster. Other Windows versions don’t recognize the VIA chipsets and this may result in system instability or lacking performance. I never had any problems with VIA drivers… I also never installed beta drivers!

For those ppl who think that only VIA needs/uses drivers like these: Intel has got its own drivers (Intel Application Accelerator) in order to boost the systems performance. They work quite nice… as I am old.

Intel has two things you can install to increase speed/stablility, that’s its INF drivers and Intel Application Accelerator, which the newest version is v2.2.2.2150.

Download the latest Intel Application Accelerator drivers here

Make sure your chipset supports it, old ones like the 440BX I think don’t.

For the INFs and other stuff, go to www.intel.com

You didn’t identify which motherboard you are using. Does it have a VIA chipset? If not, don’t install the 4in1 drivers as these are intended for VIA chipset motherboards only.

Originally posted by accel7
[B]this maybe a dumb question but after searching the forums here i didn’t get all the info i wanted.

i hear about people who need to install 4in1 drivers, my friends were talking about installing 4in1 drivers after re-installing Windows, i hear people have problems if they don’t install 4in1 drivers. i myself have never installed or done anything with 4in1 drivers ever. my new motherboard came with a disk that has a 4in1 driver setup and various other programs on it, i have never used this disk and my comp works fine.

two questions:

1. are 4in1 drivers really needed?

2. and exactly what do they do?

hope these aren’t dumb questions, just wondering what i’m missing thats all. [/B]

if ur mobo is Via chipset, the 4in1 drivers will work for any model/manufacturer.

eg:
i hav e a gigabite VIA mobo (spec) andam using winXP.

I am wondering wheather on not to get the 4in1 drivers(newest)

i of course willl have to make new data backups first!:slight_smile: