48x write speed overclock to 52x

When using Nero to burn a cd, once it reaches 93 - 94 percent complete, the buffer (nearer to the bottom of the dialog screen) fluctuates between 96 - 55 percent and goes on till the cd is 100 percent complete. Is this a sign of the drive unable to go up to 52x?

Originally posted by Ome

Is this a sign of the drive unable to go up to 52x?

Yes, this is an indication of buffer underrun, which among all can depend on the media/speed you choose.

Troubleshooting :

[ul]1. Enable buffer underrun protection
2. Record at a slow speed
3. Use better, at least 48x certified media
3. Use a fast, AV-friendly hard drive
4. Don’t do anything else with the computer while recording
5. Defragment your HD
6. Depending on your setup,
putting the recorder and your hard drive on separate IDE controllers may be helpful[/ul]

Good luck ! :wink:

It´s the same here…looks like a media problem.
In simulation mode you don´t see this problem. It occurs in real writing mode only.

I guess its a media problem like what 1.Master has mentioned. The media used is 16x but can be selected to burn at 52x in Nero. The 32x rated media can only go up to 40x. But in both cases, the same phenomenon is happening. The hard disk and cdrw drive is not on the same channel, not doing anything while burning, hard disk has been defragged recently. Guess I got to spend some cash to get higher rated media.

Originally posted by Ome

Guess I got to spend some cash to get higher rated media
That’s a real wise decision ! By doing so you’re gonna win in the long run :wink: