48246S and Blank Media Issue

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat or “noob” question, I did search before posting:

Hardware and setup: 48246S running 6S0F so 52246S but regardless of F/W rev, same symptoms. This drive has shown the same issue in 3 different PC’s, all running XPSP1

Problem: Can’t read some blank media but reads all burned or purchased CD’s.

I’ve been working on my 48246S for a few days trying to get it to read blank media. Finally after just about every firmware revision I could find and removing Alcohol 120% from the system I can read SOME blank media and some not. I am curious what the difference between cd-r (a+) and cd-r(a-) is? Here is the media it will read, package as Maxell 50pk Color CD-R Music 80min 32x

Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Manufacturer = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited

<< Disc Information >>
Erasable = False
Status of Last Session/Border = Empty Session/Border
Disc Status = Empty Disc
Number of First Track/RZone on Disc = 1
Number of Sessions/Borders(LSB) = 1
First Track/RZone Number in Last Session/Border(LSB) = 1
Last Track/RZone Number in Last Session/Border(LSB) = 1
Disc Identification Valid(DID_V) = False
Disc Bar Code Valid(DBC_V) = False
Unrestricted Use Disc(DRU) = True
Disc Type = Undefined
Disc Identification = 00000000h
Lead-in Start Time of Last Session = 97:24:01(61:18:01h)
Last Possible Start Time for Startof Lead-out = 79:59:73(4F:3B:49h)
Disc Bar Code = 0000000000000000h
Number of OPC Table Entries = 0

<< Track Information >>
Number of Complete Sessions on Disc = 0

This is the output of the generic 100pk (using my 812s) that works in every other drive in my house including other lite-on’s but won’t show up in this drive but instead gives media not present:

Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Manufacturer = CMC Magnetics Corporation

<< Disc Information >>
Erasable = False
Status of Last Session/Border = Empty Session/Border
Disc Status = Empty Disc
Number of First Track/RZone on Disc = 1
Number of Sessions/Borders(LSB) = 1
First Track/RZone Number in Last Session/Border(LSB) = 1
Last Track/RZone Number in Last Session/Border(LSB) = 1
Disc Identification Valid(DID_V) = False
Disc Bar Code Valid(DBC_V) = False
Unrestricted Use Disc(DRU) = False
Disc Type = Undefined
Disc Identification = 00000000h
Lead-in Start Time of Last Session = 97:26:66(61:1A:42h)
Last Possible Start Time for Startof Lead-out = 79:59:71(4F:3B:47h)
Disc Bar Code = 0000000000000000h
Number of OPC Table Entries = 0

<< Track Information >>
Number of Complete Sessions on Disc = 0

I have checked and loaded ForceASPI, DMA is correct, etc. etc. I’ve hit just about every thread I could find regarding this, and I’m just perplexed by what the huge difference in the media is and why just this writer is affected by it? To those that thought they had dead 48246s’s I’m wondering if they too had purely a media manufaturer issue as well. I just about gave up on this one thinking it was kaput :slight_smile:

Thanks to anyone that has an answer and thanks to all the previous posters for insights and help

Yaga

I dunno if it helps , but I had similar problems with Ricoh MP7200A. At first it stopped burning one brand of disks,after that another one and so on. At last i got to a situation that I couldn’t burn allmost anything. The solution I found - to use the Ricoh as a CDROM and to buy a new 52327S Lite-On .

maybe its getting on in age and is getting more specific as to what it accepts. we all know that TY is top notch, so maybe its just tired of the cheap stuff. maybe.