48126S only seems to burn @ 48X

I have a 48126S that only seems to want burn @ 48X. When I burn a CD, it will get to very near the end and error out with a buffer underrun error, and SmartBurn is turned on. VCD Easy (CDRDAO I suppose) only lists the possible speeds at 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or MAX. Fireburner only lists the available speeds as 1 or MAX. I’m using TDK 800MB 32X certified media. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Trekboy

You need compatible media that can handel 48x with smartburn on. And when you burn VCD cd’s you need a fast computer. And also for MP3 converted to audio CD’s

/Dyzan

I guess my question more centered on if the unit has the ability to burn at lower speeds (if I can pick 32X for it to burn at as an example) The software I’m using (VCDEasy and Fireburner) don’t seem to allow me that choice, and I’m wondering if it’s a limitation of the drive itself.

It isn’t a limitation of the drive. If Smartburn is turned on, the software may use the Smartburn maximum speed rating as its default. If Smartburn rates media for a 48x burn (regardless of its packaged rating), then the software will try to burn at that speed.

Normally, Smartburn should be left on, primarily to keep media from burning too fast and exceeding its capabilities. It is not a certainty that the burn speed is causing your problem because the failure is caused by a buffer underrun error. This should not be happening at any burn speed, as your burner has buffer underrun protection. Either the software you are using is not supporting the buffer underrun protection or it is not enabled in the software.

In any event, if you want to burn at a lower speed, turn Smartburn off and you should see a variety of burning speeds. If you do not, then the software is properly supporting your Lite-on drive. If you continue to have problems with the software, you might try a different software such as Nero.

1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or MAX

Your drive supports these, and only these, burn speeds:
4x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x, 48x. It seems your software does not adequately support the drive.

Originally posted by Dyzan
[B] And when you burn VCD cd’s you need a fast computer.

/Dyzan [/B]

Why? it is the same as burning any file! Have you got mixed up with encoding it?

Originally posted by I Have Piles
[B]

Why? it is the same as burning any file! Have you got mixed up with encoding it? [/B]

Was he perhaps talking about when using those programs that convert and burn on the fly? As you correctly stated, the burning part doesn’t require a lot of CPU power.

Prowler, you got it! :slight_smile:

/Dyzan

Thanks for the help guys. I flashed my drive w/the 52126s firmware and now it works just fine.