48125s?!

Anybody did flash their CD writer to 48125S firmware??? What is the difference between 48125W and how the performance is it? Please kindly tell me about your experience!!! thx

“W” and “S” signify that only the flash memory is different.

Rest hardware is same.

I flashed my 40125W to a 48125W and in the end found vs08 to be the best firmware for a wide range of media. Even some 24x certified media (eg Imation) can be burnt at 48x without errors. My recommendation for consistently good results is:

1. Initially check the media using the Smartburn utility which will give you an idea of its maximum speed.
  2. If you are using Nero modify the registry to give you a real speed indication as it is burning (you will find references on how to on this forum). For example you may find that although Smartburn indicates 48x speed, at 46x it is unable to increase speed and drops back to 40x to finish the remainder of the disk. Keep in mind that if you are using 700Mb media in order to check the true writing speed, you need to burn a 700Mb file otherwise it will never reach the maximum speed at the end.
  3. Check for errors using CDSpeed and CD Quality test.
  4. If errors show up, drop down to the next lower speed and repeat.

I found the overclocked drive very reliable and although I have since replaced it with an overclocked 6 chipset burner, I have no reason to go back to the speed it came at.

Not sure what the difference between the W and S is at 48x. Originally it was the difference of having Mt Rainer and using CAV but I don’t think that is the case of the latest firmware. I would go for vs08.

I too stand by VS08 for speed and write quality. I an using a LiteON 40125S which I originally flashed to 48125W using VS04 and VS06, both of which I had problems with media with. For normal aplications, I use cheapo media (CMC, MMMC, anything I can get cheap) and those seemed to have a great deal of problems. I am now using VS08 with not a single problem to date. I burn 32x rated CMC media at 48X (smartburn ENABLED) with less than half a percent yellow sectors. I can also burn 24x rated media (unknown manufacturer) at 48X with NO yellow or red blocks! that’s right 24x media, 0 ERRORS!. sadly the media is so crappy that within months the silver will begin to flake off with just normal use, but that’s another story. But anyway, 08=great!

Not to forget the improved reading of protected audio with VS08.

Originally posted by raykam
[B]Anybody did flash their CD writer to 48125S firmware???

Please kindly tell me about your experience!!! thx [/B]

Yes, I flash my 48125W to 48125S.
I have tried various disk.
In my own experience 1s05 is equal to or better than vs08 espicaiily in some crap disk.
Maybe we need more people to confirm it!?:bigsmile:

Can someone please advise if the 48125S is as good for audio copyguards as 48125W and also if the 48125S firmware will work on my LiteON 40125S that is currently 48125W:VS08?

Originally posted by zanwang

Yes, I flash my 48125W to 48125S.
I have tried various disk.
In my own experience 1s05 is equal to or better than vs08 espicaiily in some crap disk.

I wonder if you tried with it overburning tests in CD Speed ?
AFAIK, the vs08 doesn’t support the overburning/CD capacity.
So, how does the 1s05 work there ?

TIA !

I just wanted to ask the same question BoSkin asked.

Does the 1s05 have the Overburn Capacity Determining Bug ???

Originally posted by BoSkin

I wonder if you tried overburning tests in CD Speed ?
AFAIK, the vs08 doesn’t support the overburning/CD capacity.
So, how does the 1s05 work there ?

In order to make sure if it worked or not I flashed my 48125W ( VS08 ) to 48125S ( 1S05 ).
What a funking failure ! Unfortunately 1S05 didn’t support the overburning/CD capacity .
Besides, the 48125S still was not among the supported ones by Feurio either.
So, I had to take the drive back to normal.

Conclusion : don’t try it at home for now :bigsmile:

So, I’ll stick to VS08.:wink: