48125: it's not WRITE quality, it's READ quality!

strange things happening w/ my Imation 32x media:
burning at 40x and checking it afterwards w/ scandisk shows 50% C2 errors :frowning:
burning at 32x, and scandisk still shows >40% C2 :frowning:

I take an imation disc I burned with my old Yamaha 4x: >40% C2 :frowning:

OK, then I use Nero’s Drive Speed to limit the LiteOn’ reading speed to 32x, then I use scandisk, and guess what: 0% C2 w/ any of the above media, even the one written @ 40x!!!

So, at least in this case, it’s not a problem with writing quality, but actually a problem with reading quality! weird thing is that it can actually write faster than it reads!

oh yes, and writing @ 48x gave me one unreadable sector, even when reading @ 32x…

j

Imation is bad CMC media. So it’s not really a suprise… When you slow down the reader the laser takes longer to pass over the disc-surface, and that may well improve the results…

Originally posted by Airhead
Imation is bad CMC media. So it’s not really a suprise… When you slow down the reader the laser takes longer to pass over the disc-surface, and that may well improve the results…

Of course, that is pretty obvious. But that WRITING @ 40x makes no problems while READING does is pretty strange.
at least that’s my opinion – high speed writing is normally supposed to be quite more difficult than high speed reading.

besides, i have been worried about the C2 errors thinking about the future of my CDs, because C2 indicates that error correction has been needed, so a scratched disk might wear out sooner and become unreadable. Because of that, finding out that the data actually gets burned right was pretty important to me!

j

LiteOn are continously improving their media support through firmware updates, and I guess they have put some more effort into writing-strategy’s than reading…

But still it’s a bit strange I admit :slight_smile:

There’s nothing strange about this. You are measuring read errors, not write quality. It’s important to understand the difference. Crappy media results in difficult reading, so slowing the read speed improves the test results. The only acceptable test result is “0” errors and a full-speed read.
You will see differing results with different CD readers, some will slow automatically to read and correct errors, therefor giving better test results.
If you use WSES to check errors, you can set the read speed to whatever you like, and this has been argued here many times.