451s vs DVD-R vs Firmware

I’ve been searching through this forum… awesome site btw… to try and resolve an issue that I"m having with my Lite-On 451s.

Straight out of the box the drive came with a +R and a -R media and I tried burning video to both. The -R became a pretty purple-bottomed coaster and the +R burned with no problems (using DVD XCopy Express for both). I bought a 3-pack of Sony +Rs (4x OK) and they burned fine… I’ve come to the early conclusion that the 451s prefers +R media and this seems to be verified by much of what I’ve read on this forum. Unfortunately, I just bought a stack of 4x-OK -R disks and am struggling with getting them to work…

I hit two coasters about a third of the way into the burn with a write error. i then upgraded the firmware from GSB6 (thatit came with) to GSB7. The next -R I tried completed the burn but never finalized the disk. After a reboot the last one I did completed successfully but now neither my Sanyo set-top player nor my PS2 will read the disk (although both recognize the disk as a DVD movie). BTW, my DVD-ROM drive does play the movie using PowerDVD-XP so I assume the burn is good.

I guess my question(s) out of all of this is/are:

• Does this mean that I’ve fixed it but less set-top systems recognize -R than +R?

• Is there an older/more stable version of firmware that may give me a better shot of having myset-top system read the disk?

• Should I just give up on the 451s as a multi-format burner and just stick to +R and be thankful that I got it at a reasonable price? And if so, does anyone want to buy 95 generic brand 4x DVD-Rs? :smiley:

What’s the code for your -R media?

The reason you may be having this problem is that -R media is more variable in quality than +R media. There are many more crap-quality -R discs floating out there than crap-quality +R discs.

My 451 burns -R discs beautifully. I use RITEKG04 discs, which are fairly well-priced (in fact, the ad at the top of this forum is currently advertising it as 100 for $78) and which my burner loves.

Well the only code I can find on these particularly generic disks is:

• DVD-R 4.7GB 4X-TT 0012

Other than that the disks seem to have a unique serial number on each one, for example: E1530515.

Hope this helps but that’s all the info these disks have… I think I may have bought a cakebox of lemons :frowning:

Originally posted by Mass Daddy
[B]Well the only code I can find on these particularly generic disks is:

• DVD-R 4.7GB 4X-TT 0012

Other than that the disks seem to have a unique serial number on each one, for example: E1530515.

Hope this helps but that’s all the info these disks have… I think I may have bought a cakebox of lemons :frowning: [/B]

Download the latest version of SmartBurn from liteonit.com (it’s under utilities). Pop in a disc, and use SmartBurn to identify the disc in the drive. It should give you some interesting information, including who the manufacturer is and what the ADIP media code is.

Thanks dude, I’ll get right on that.

Meanwhile, late breaking news: The -R burn that completed successfully but wouldn’t play in either burner actually did play in my portable DVD player in my van… so Iguess the media isn’t all bad and maybe it’s just the Sanyo andPS2 that don’t care much for -Rs. Is there a freeware/shareware utility that I can get that will allow me to choose the burn speed? Thought I’d try 2x and see if that helps.

OK, checked out SmartBurn and here’s what I got:

Drive Type = DVD DUAL 
     Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
      Disc MID = 56 41 4E 47 55 41 (VANGUA)
      Disc TID = 52 44 00 00 00 00 (RD....)

Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Unknown
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

[B]OK, checked out SmartBurn and here’s what I got:

Drive Type = DVD DUAL 
     Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
      Disc MID = 56 41 4E 47 55 41 (VANGUA)
      Disc TID = 52 44 00 00 00 00 (RD....)

Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Unknown
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write) [/B]

Vanguard? Yea, I think you did get lemons… See this post by OC-Freak

Oh, and you probably shouldn’t revert to an older firmware for this media. Vanguard is new, so if you go to an older firmware, it might not even be able to identify the media. My suggestion, I guess, is to see if it’ll burn okay at 2x.

And in the future, if you want to burn -R discs, go for RITEKG04s (Ritek’s 4x discs) :slight_smile:

Moral of the story. Don’t buy cheap/unknown media. :iagree:

Originally posted by Ssseth
Moral of the story. Don’t buy cheap/unknown media. :iagree:

yes, usually for liteON owners :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by totalz
yes, usually for liteON owners :stuck_out_tongue:

No. I would never buy cheap media, with any burner. Period. :iagree:

Well like I said, I did get it to burn successfully after the GSB7 upgrade but now only my DVD-ROM and my portable DVD player (which I bought for playing MP3 CDs in the van) will play the movie.

So the PS2 and the Sanyo player are fine with the Sony +Rs that I bought but are not too fond of the -R disks it would seem.

Can anyone suggest a good proggy/utility for ripping/duplicating that will allow me to set the burn speed? I have DVD Xcopy platinum 3.2.1 and I’ve tried eXpress also, neither allow you to specify the burn speed.

I’ve had exactly the same DVD-R media problems with my 411S. It wouldn’t even give a good burn with Ritek G04 (and that REALLY sux).

My solution was to use Verbatim 4x DVD-R manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation with a media code MCC01RG20.

I get excellent results that seem to work in every device I’ve tried. They’re a bit pricey but knowing that my burns have worked is worth it IMO.

Marco

[B]Well like I said, I did get it to burn successfully after the GSB7 upgrade but now only my DVD-ROM and my portable DVD player (which I bought for playing MP3 CDs in the van) will play the movie.

So the PS2 and the Sanyo player are fine with the Sony +Rs that I bought but are not too fond of the -R disks it would seem.

Can anyone suggest a good proggy/utility for ripping/duplicating that will allow me to set the burn speed? I have DVD Xcopy platinum 3.2.1 and I’ve tried eXpress also, neither allow you to specify the burn speed. [/B]

Most burning programs will let you select burn speed, including RecordNow (should have came bundled on your Sonic CD), Nero etc.

To all,

I am still making Ritek g04 coasters with my 451@851 GS0F. As I mentioned before, I’ve been burning lots of DVD+Rs just fine. I got a 50 pack of Ritek 04s because of the recomendations here. My Kprobe Pi and Po’s were ok but not as good as reading from the Ritek 04s here on this site. So I went for the 04s.

I’ve been trying to burn just as I have with the DVD+Rs. ShrinkDVD and DVDXCOPY plat. The burn never goes past 1%. and then it fails.

Any and all Idea are welcome for help.

Thanks

PS: Ssseth you seem to be a ritek guru, got thoughts?

Did you try dvdshrink with nero plat?
I’ve noticed Dvdshrink prefers nero and
seems to work better …at least for me.

I’ve been using memorex 4x dvd-r prodisc03’s…not a single coaster so far…all burning at 4x good quality burns.

Havne’t coastered any dvd-rs or dvd+r’s.
I did coaster a cdr though…just once…go figure…wrote it off as a fluke.

LiteOn LDW451@851 GS0F
LiteOn LTR-48246S SS0E

DVDShrink rulez with DVDDecrypter for the writing :smiley:

MTC
I’ve got the 451s with the GSB7 firmware.
It seems to burn Princo A grade -Rs just fine now, although I should add that it depends what you want to play them on.
Had probs with my Samsung set top but it turns out to be a hardware prob because none of my friends had probs with same discs.
No probs with the PS2 - at all.
I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD, which allows you to control burn speed.
Only thing I have found is the drive is much slower with GSB7 compared to to GSB6 which is what it came with.
At the price you’d be mad not to give the Princos a go - but only the A’s.
Hope this helps.

“Grade A” Princo is still “Grade A” crap imho :Z

By definition if it works then it is no longer crap.