451s vs 411s? retail and oem?

vbimport

I have a Buslink DVD burner, that shows as a Liteon 451s. Looking at the Liteon site, it appears that the 451 is the oem version and the 411 is the “official” liteon boxed version. They now both look to be at the same firmware level in that the current f/w versions both bring them up to the changeable booktype feature. I’d like to know if exchanging my 451 for a 411 will buy me anymore flexibility, i.e, the 451 to 851 mod. Is the 451 a “better” drive or they essentially identical? It looks like Liteon has a similar scheme for the 811/851… What gives? Thanks!

Update: Sorry Folks! I just did a deeper search in the forum and understand they are differant drives. The 451 is bug fixes and improved mechanics over the 411. Liteon sure created alot of confusion with the identical specs…I will keep the 451!

451 is NOT the OEM of 411. 451 is a different drive with different hardware than the 411. The 451 is newer, and personally, I’d prefer the 451 over the 411.

Originally posted by dvd4all
I have a Buslink DVD burner, that shows as a Liteon 451s. Looking at the Liteon site, it appears that the 451 is the oem version and the 411 is the “official” liteon boxed version.

Nope. They are seperate drives.

Originally posted by dvd4all
They now both look to be at the same firmware level in that the current f/w versions both bring them up to the changeable booktype feature. I’d like to know if exchanging my 451 for a 411 will buy me anymore flexibility, i.e, the 451 to 851 mod. Is the 451 a “better” drive or they essentially identical? It looks like Liteon has a similar scheme for the 811/851… What gives? Thanks!

The only difference between the drives is they use a different PUH (pickup head) and firmwares.

Some people say the _51S versions have less troubles then the _11S versions. I tend to disagree and think both are fine drives.
If what you have is working fine then just keep it.

PS- Check out the Tools sticky at the top of this forum for all sorts of goodies. :smiley:

Edit: A couple seconds too late, someone beat me to an answer :stuck_out_tongue: