451s to 851s

vbimport

I know theres a few threads about this, BUT;
Hey, Im new to cdfreaks, i just got myself a liteon 451 for $100, ive sepnt an hour or so searching how to update firmware to the 851s to allow 8x burning.

Can any of you email me the files required to update it to 851s, with the speedhack tools aswell?

Thanks in advance

Cody

EDIT:
Nevermind, used the polish hack thingy and it works a treat. For those who dont have it:
http://members.westnet.com.au/recruit/clubcdfreaks/451s-812s@851s-nowy.sfx.exe

Originally posted by landw0lf

EDIT:
Nevermind, used the polish hack thingy and it works a treat. For those who dont have it:
http://members.westnet.com.au/recruit/clubcdfreaks/451s-812s@851s-nowy.sfx.exe

You better stay away from “polish hacks”

There is a 451@851 guide here.
You will find the patch in ‘tripleH’ signature.

BTW, The link is to 851 fw GS0F. :slight_smile:

The polish hack works great, all my 4x +Rs i have around are now 8x, even generic ones burn without a problem and read in 6 or so different devices including standalone dvd players and car dvd players.

The polish hack works great, all my 4x +Rs i have around are now 8x, even generic ones burn without a problem and read in 6 or so different devices including standalone dvd players and car dvd players.

Try burning some -R media and you may change your mind…

Burnt some -R media @ 4x this morning and reads fine. What sort of issues are there?

reads your first post You could’ve downloaded all the necessary tools from Ssseth’s tool collection stickied at the top of the forum…

As for the Polish hacks, I actually don’t really know what they do. It might be that the Polish hack is nothing more than applying the same patches that we would’ve normally applied. Or they might have done something totally different. The Polish hacks aren’t documented and don’t specify what is done, and that’s why I’m wary. Whereas if you use the patchers, you will know exactly what each patcher does and exactly what is being done with your drive, which, for many people, gives them some peace of mind. I’m trying to download some of the Polish stuff to do some comparisons to see what they actually do, but the Polish site doesn’t seem very responsive… at this rate, I’ll be done with the download in a few years…

We’re somewhat wary of them on this forum after the 451/851@812 hack that came out of them caused problems.

Okay, I got a hold of this Polish mod that you used… ran some comparisons…

Comparison of extracted BIN firmware…

Comparing files GS0F.LDW851FP.BIN and GS0F.POLISH.BIN
00096BE7: 60 D3
00096BE8: 02 D3
00096BE9: C3 D3

Comparing files GS0F.BIN and GS0F.BIN.POLISH
00096B96: 60 D3
00096B97: 02 D3
00096B98: C3 D3
00096BE7: 60 D3
00096BE8: 02 D3
00096BE9: C3 D3
000C00B3: 06 1E
000C02D5: 06 1E

So it looks like that the “Polish” FW is the same as the LDW851FP-patched FW except that there’s an extra sequence of 3 bytes that got disabled (the sequence common to both disables the EEPROM check… what does the extra changed sequence–0x96BE7-9–of the Polish mod do?)

The flasher itself is also different (not even the same size, so a comparison isn’t meaningful). I don’t know if this is because the “Polish” mod ended up wrapping the GS0F firmware in a flasher made for an older firmware. Or if there are other changes to the flasher that we don’t know about.

Thanks for investigating that. Ive now “POLISHLY” hacked 2 451s to 851 and both are working well. One is speedhacked and burns DVD+RW at 8x, and DVD-R at 8x no worries. i think ill keep mine just @ 851 no speedhack. One last thing, does the polish hack modify the EEPROM at all?

Thanks for investigating that. Ive now “POLISHLY” hacked 2 451s to 851 and both are working well. One is speedhacked and burns DVD+RW at 8x, and DVD-R at 8x no worries. i think ill keep mine just @ 851 no speedhack. One last thing, does the polish hack modify the EEPROM at all?

Woul be “nice” to se a Kprobe scan of an DVD+RW burned @8X, or a DVD-R scan @ 8X… :rolleyes:

BTW, a (ordinary) firmware upgrade don´t make any eeprom changes…
but… I don´t have any experiance of “polish mods”. :cool:

Ill do some kprobe testing after dinna.

One last thing, does the polish hack modify the EEPROM at all?

Dunno. Their flasher is different, but I’m not sure why that is so. It’s conceivable it’s been modified to do some EEPROM modding. I seriously doubt it, but I can’t be sure because I’ve never tried. Like I said, they don’t document what they do, which is why I’m a little bit distrustful.