451s Owners Post Your Media Results Here

vbimport

Hi, This thread will provide a list of the media listed as supported in the 451s firmware and provide a place for users to post their real life experiences using the various medias.

Why do this? Becaise just because it’s on the list doesn’t mean it’s good media to use. the cheaper brands tend to have varying quality so the discs upi receive may not have the the same characteristics as the discs the factory used to develop the writing strategy.

From what I’ve gathered in the media group, the writing quality is more than an issue of the disc brand (though it is an issue), but it also entails the specific burner, operating system, peripherials installed in the sytem, software used, etc…

Still, using generally good (meaning the quality is fairly consistent) media does help keep one variable under control.

So, if you will please post a brief summary of your hadware/software and what brands/types of media you’ve tried and what the results were and hopefully some brands and types will emerge as media that generally works well.

Bob

Ok, I left a note for the Moderator who posted the media listing in another thread to post it here too - I couldn’t get it to cut and paste correctly.

My system:

Emachines 667ix
1.1Ghz processor (upgraded)
512 Ram (upgraded)
Western Digital Limited Edition 40 gig HD (upgraded)
LiteOn 166s DVD/CD reader
LiteOn 451s DVD/CD burner, GSB6 Firmware

The DVD drives are on the secondary IDE controller with the burner as master.

Operating system is Win 98 SE with all current patches.

I use Nero 6.0.0.23 for general burning.

I’ve used DVDDecrypter to make and burn an ISO image (DVDD did the burning).

I’ve used CloneDVD to copy an unprotected video disc (CloneDVD did the burning).

I test in the DVD drives in the machine and on a GE1101PA, a GE1101PB, and a Mintek 1600.

So far all I’ve tried are Ricoh JPN R01 discs - that’s what came with my machine, and they’ve worked fine.

I bought some Memores DVD+Rs, they came in a 25 spindle with a grey base and rounded top and were Ricohs.

I also bought some Sony 3 and 6 packs at WalMart and they were also the same Ricohs.

That’s all I know, I have some Ritek G04s on the way!

Bob

I guess you missed this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=83557

No, I didn’t miss it. I thought it was more for general discussion of the 451s - i.e. you had problems getting the system to even recognize it, programs freezing, etc…

I envisioned this thread more for owners who’s systems have been running fine so they can post what media they’ve had good success with and what media they haven’t.

A general description of the system they are using may be useful if one brand seems to work for most and not for you - then you could look and see what’s different between your setup and most others.

/Bob

Ideally that is what the DVD Media Tests forum is for.

Hi,
I started the other thread on the 451S, but personally I am very thankful that this thread is here…the reason? Because there is hardly anything written on this forum about the 451S and media…in general there is plenty written about the 411S but the 451S is a different animal…at least now. We are still trying to figure out what we can and can’t use on this machine, at least until the firmware upgrades come along making this machine more in line with his older brother, the 411S. By no means are the 411S and 451S twin brothers. It’s as if the 451S is still learning to crawl while the 411S with FS0F firmware is up and running. So, thanks Svenson for starting this thread. Once we have a better grasp, I’d say this thread can close and be moved to the media testing section…but it needs to stay here for now…IMHO.

Here are my specifics on my system (my problems can be read on another thread with similar name):
Home made computer with PCChips 807 motherboard…AMD 900GHZ Athlon Thunderbird with 133 512MB memory, Via Chipset MoBo…with VT8363 AGP, presently running Nvidia TNT Reva 32MB Graphics card. 400Watts CooMax Power Supply. System board AMR and Sound are disabled…instead I am running Creative Audigy Sound Card and Diamond Supra 56K Analog Modem (yes, I prefer this to some generic WinModem). I was also running a network card but I took that out recently so it doesn’t count. HHD is Primary Master 40Gig Maxtor Fireball (UDMA enabled…in windows, shows as UDMA-5). As Primary Slave I have running Liteon 163D DVD-ROM with JLMS firmware GHR7 (region free). On secondary channel I only have one drive, the Liteon LDW-451S, with GSB6 firmware, set as Secondary Master. Both DVD’s run at UDMA-2. I am using Windows 2000 Pro, Service Pack 4, with all other Windows Updates and no viruses or spywear. File system is NTFS. Recently added the Via Mini Port Drivers which has made my DVD burnings at least go to the end (I do get the blue screen of death but not until after the burning is over…before the mini port driver it was happening during the burn). The new drivers make both of my DVD’s show up as SCSI devices.

Here is the process I use to burn DVD’s:
Rip with DVD Decrypter (or recently just have AnyDVD running in the background for the next process), then use DVD2One to make the IFO/VOB files that go in the VIDEO_TS folder. Burn with RecordNow Max 4.5, including both an empty AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folder. In the past, with another burner, media I am using now have played fine on my set-top, Sampo 611 DVD Player.

Here is the media I’ve tried with the 451S and the results:
Sky 2x DVD-R media…not recognized until firmware upgrade…now burns fine and reads in my desktop unit without any problems.
Maxell DVD-RW (1x) Haven’t had a successful burn yet, so dont’ know…but it does erase okay with the 451S.
Maxell 2x DVD-R. Burns fine, but not recognized in my desktop unit.
TDK 2X DVD-R. Burns fine, but also not recognized in desktop unit.
Princo 1X DVD-R media…burned at 2x…works fine in desktop unit too!
Ricoh DVD+R and RW (both 4x)…came with unit…burns fine at 4Xs, but don’t have a machine that will play DVD+R to try…plays in my computer fine with Power DVD.

I have found that the smoothest burns and fastest erase procedure have been with the “+” formatted discs, but unfortunately, neither my Sampo, nor my son’s PS2 will play these discs. So, if I’m not going to be buying “+” media types.

Guess this is about it…some of the information was pasted from my previous thread. Hope others add to this and we all help each other understand what’s best with the 451S!

Svenson…I found what you were refering to. This is valuable information and I was looking all over for it. I also tried cut/paste but it did not work, but I see it was done succesfully below.
Therefore, I’ve deleted this post.

Hey! The jpeg works - thanks!

I thought about this being more appropriate for the media forum, but I would like it more specific to just this drive and I thought it was just handier to keep it in the Lite On forum.

I broke it away from the main thread as I wanted it to be specific to the issue of media compatiblity with this specific drive more than anything else.

I spent today playing with my new toy and it’s been a fun day! So far the thing has just worked like a charm!

I do fireworks displays and I have some videos of those, as well as some videos from conventions and seminars I’ve attended so I’m playing with encoding those and making DVDs out of them - being able to set chapters and stuff makes things really nice!

/Bob

deleted by author

I agree the jpg isn’t the best solution, but it worked better than my attempts at cutting and pasting!

I just saved the jpg and then used a viewer that came with my scanner to view it, then printed it full page size.

The Moderator who posted it told me to quote it, but when I hit quote it seemed to want to post a reply in that thread.

I’m just getting used to this messaging format, and today has been more of a challenge than normal - I have an eye disease which requires me to wear hard contacts. I scratched by eye over the weekend so I’m leaving the contacts out and squinting, so when I tried and it didn’t work I just wasn’t up to figuring it out.

I’ll either figure out how to get it into a message or I’ll simply re-type it in in the next few days as I heal up a bit.

Bob

He meant to hit quote and then copy and paste the quote to this thread, like this:

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]I don’t think any have been posted for GSB6.

DVD+R		DVD+RW		DVD-R		DVD-RW
MCC001		MCCA01		PVC001001	RITEK000V11A
MCC002		RITEK001	TAIYOYUDEN	RITEKW01
CMC MAGR01	MKMA02		SONY		CMCW02
YUDEN000T01	CMC MAGW01	PCMC MAG.	PRINCO
RITEKR01	NANYASCDRW	PPRODISCG02	PRINCO!
PRODISCR01	RICOHJPNW11	PMBI		ProdiscDVDRW
RICOHJPNR01	OPTODISCOP1	POPTODISCK001	OPTODISCK001
MAXELL001	PRODISCW01	PMCC 01RG20	MCC 00RW11N9
PRODISCR02	INFODISCA01	RPVCR001002	PVCW00V00245
TDK001		RITEK0040	RTYG01		TDK502sakuM3
BeAll000P40	RITEKW04	RRITEKG04	JVC_VictorW7
SONYD01		CMC MAGW02	RProdiscS03	OPTODISCK001!
NANYADR		PHILIPS041	RCMC MAG. AF1	RITEKW04
RITEKR02	SONYS11		RDAXON004	MCC 01RW11n9
DAXONAZ1	DAXOND41	RSONY04D1	OPTODISCW002!
CMC MAGF01	INFODISCA10	RMXL RG02
OPTODISCOP1	SENTINELW01	"RSKC Co.,Ltd."
MPOMEDIA001	PRODISCW02	RPRINCO
LD001		MBIPG101W03	RBeAll G40001
SKYMEDIAR01	RICOHJPNW01	RFORNEX101
OPTODISCOR4	NANYADRW	RNANYA-JC001
MPOMEDIA040	PHILIPS010	RGSC001
YUDEN000T01	DAXOND42	RDvsn
YUDEN000T02			RLEADDATA01
MCC003				RLD
RICOHJPNR02			PLEADDATA
RITEKR03			PPRINCO
CMC MAGE01			PRITEKG03
PRODISCR03			PTAROKO-MX4
SONYD11			RBeAll G00001
NANYARJB			PLONGTEN 001
MBIPG101R03			RTDKG02000000
OPTODISCOP2			PMAM4XG01
Philips081			RGSC001
CMC MAGF01			PMEI 00V001
MAXELL002			POPTODISCR004
LONGTEN002			RMCIG01
GSC502002			PSONY08D1
RICOHJPNR00			RGSC002
DT-D0202			RYi Jhan 001
				RMBI 01RG20
				RONIDTECH
				RVDSP_SAB 01
				RAN32
				RAN31
				RPOSG04
				RRITEKM02
				RDATA TRACK
				RVANGUARD
				RDKM_01
				RRITEKG05
				RMCC 02RG20
				RLONGTEN 009
				RPOSJ 01
				PAuvistar
				PMCC 00RG200
				PMXL RG01
				PVDSPMSAB 01
				ROPTODISCK001
 [/B]

You could have just linked to that thread as well. :wink:

Cheers.

Thanks, Ssseth! I’ve edited my previous posts to delete redundancy.

Media: Plextor +R 4x
Media Code: YUDEN000T01
Burned at 4x.
Tested on 4x, 8ECC

Ok, I got KProbe running on my machine.

The Ricohs are looking very good on my machine - only had one out of a bunch that looked “iffy” and it’s not bad!

I already uploaded the iffy one to the media forum so it wont let me upload it here.

It’s in the media forum under “Problems getting KProbe running”.

An average of the ones I’ve tested look like this one:

dwrbudr - that TY burn looks excellent!

Where do you get your TY discs at?

I will just say that my lite-on 451S also likes taiyo yuden, these verbatim datalife plus dvd-r 4x are TY.

@Svenson: from Bulgaria. The media is sold as Plextor DVD+R 4x.
The price is 2.5 Euro, a little high but the results are really great. BTW I’m going to Sweden tommorow :slight_smile:
The weird issue I have with 451S is that it cannot read/write CD(RW)s at all. I’ve tried everithing to fix this, but finally I’ve return it to the store :a

So did the replacement drive fix your cd problem?

<offtopic>
Still waiting for the new drive… I’ve read in the forum that many drives manufactured 9.2003 have the same problem. But that one is manufactured 12.2003… but still is not good. I think that the drives are not tested at all before going to the market…
</offtopic>