I have a 451S drive, I don't want to overclock, unlock etc, I just want to be able to read the DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks it writes, but OH NO.
the current firmware is GSB7, opsys Win XP, burner is Nero (newest revision, 22.214.171.124 I think it was) and my current media is RICOH (Platinum DVD+RW). I've written about 30 times on it, but either:
- system freezed during write
- nero says "writing failed"
- it writes OK but DVD is blank when being read
- it writes OK but DVD is only partially accessible when being read (some subdirectories are empty)
- it writes ok and DVD is fully accessible but when trying to copy information from DVD back to HDD it says "read error - abort, ignore, retry?" somewhere along the way.
I've both quick-erased and full-erased the DVD, I've checked for viruses, I've checked for spyware, I've scandisked all my drives, I have no background processes running, my computer isn't overclocked, I've reinstalled Win XP, I've tried about 3 other burning programs besides Nero, I've dual-booted into my old Win98SE and tried 3-4 burning programs there as well, I've tried different settings in Nero (multisession/no multisession, finalize/don't finalize etc) and as you can see, I've also flashed to the latest officially available firmware. the same DVD+RW disc burned fine about a month ago but now I am just completely unable to burn it again without errors.
and before you think I just have bad media, I had a 411S drive about a month ago and had exactly the same problems with PRINCO media (Acme DVD-RW), then I exchanged that to 451S and problems didn't quite disappear, but I was at least able to burn a DVD without problems the third or fourth time. and my current RITEC burned fine the first time, now I am just unable to reburn it. any suggestions?