451S DVD-ROM Read Speed Locked

My 451S won’t read pressed DVD’s at a speed greater than 8x. It used to go up to 12x on pressed discs, but now it’s locked at 8x and I can’t figure out WTF happened. Nero Infotool shows 8x, 6x, and 1x as my only read speed options on pressed DVD’s. I’m using the latest firmware (GSB7) and DMA is on and I haven’t done anything lately to cause this problem. I noticed this when ripping in DVD Shrink that my times went down drastically. I’m getting sick of this drive.

Daffy

DVD Shrink is not only ripping, but also re-encoding at the same time. Logically this would make it slower than if you were to only rip the disc with a program like DVD Decrypter.

You’re also probably not using the same exact disc as you were when you got 12x, right?

Good point dhc014. However, on one rip DVD Shrink didn’t need to re-encode (no compression) so I’m not sure why the speed was so low on that rip. Let me run some test in DVD Decrypter to see what kind of ripping speeds I get. I’ll report back later today.

OK, I ran DVD Decrypter in ISO mode on a pressed DVD and read speed peaked at 6.1x. What gives?

Hmm, sounds strange. Are you realy sure you got a ‘snap’ when DVD Decrypter peaked? :confused:

I for sure know mine 411 does what it should, peaks @8X as stated by Nero info when ripping DVD.
And our hardware is the same except for the pickup head.

:cool:

Yea, but the specs on the 411/451 show that they should read up to 12x (16200KB/sec) maximum by CAV. I’m not getting over 6x on most discs and haven’t seen it go over 8x ever. I’ve done transfer test with Nero’s CD-DVD Speed program and the best I’ve seen is 8x near the layer break and then it starts to slow back down. Is it possible some of my burning apps might have locked down my drive? Or are my sample discs just not able to go up to 12x?

411S/451S/811S/851S Specifications :

[b]Read

DVD-ROM
12x ( 16200KB/sec ) maximum by CAV
( single layer )

DVD-ROM
8x ( 10800KB/sec ) maximum by CAV
( dual layer )

DVD+/-R/RW
6x(8100KB/sec) maximum by CAV[/b]

Originally posted by Daffy
Is it possible some of my burning apps might have locked down my drive? Or are my sample discs just not able to go up to 12x?

There is nothing wrong here. We got what we paid for.! :wink:

Read:

DVD-ROM 12x ( 16200KB/sec ) maximum by CAV ( single layer )

DVD-ROM 8x ( 10800KB/sec ) maximum by CAV ( dual layer )

DVD+/-R/RW 6x(8100KB/sec) maximum by CAV

This info from OCFreaks 411S review. Also published on Lite-On page before.
:cool:

Beaten by 2 min. by Ssseth. Damn… :bigsmile:

In the words of Homer Simpson:

“Doh!”

:bow:

Now if I can only get it to burn with PI errors under 100…