451S and Samsung S222

I recently purchased a Liteon 451S after reading the reviews over here. The possibility of being able to upgrade it to a 851S, expecially when it was on sale made the decision very easy.

I purchased it, installed it, burned a few data backup dvd’s which I desperately needed. and then the fun part came :slight_smile:

I wanted to burn the avi files I have to dvd’s and watch them on my Samsung S222 player.

The first one (burned it onto a Memorex+RW) was just fine, it worked beautifully …

Then burned another one, and it went ok too, I burned just a few minutes to see if it worked. After that whatever I burned player would not recognize … I purchased Maxell-RW s and same result.
Purchased Memorex-RW’s same result. Very rarely it recognizes the dvd, mostly not. It plays fine on my pc.

Yesterday I got the booktype utility and set the typr to dvd-rom, and still it would not recognize the dvd.

I broke down and purchased a cheapo Cyberhome 300 dvd plyer from Wallmart last night. It played the the first few minutes of a few short movies with soem pixelaztion. Overnight I burned a whole movie (to a Memorex+RW set as dvd-rom) and when I tried the cyberhome did not recognize the dvd.

Is there a problem with my burner ? Is it the dvd players ? Can somebody help me please ? I am a computer engineer, but do not know much about this side of the profession and I am just thrashing …

Looking forward to some help …

P.S. I should add that when the samsung recognizes the dvd and plays it, if I turn off the dvd player and turn it back on, it won’t recognize it anymore.

Did I post this question in the wrong forum ?

Wrong forum…, no I don´t think so. :smiley:

OK, from my knowledge you have a media or compatibility problem.
For compatibility you can read here.

You say you are using “the booktype utility”…, are you on latest firmware? I hope you have done some read-in on this forum, so you could come up with full media code of your DVD+RWs… More info needed.

From my experiance DVD-Rs work well on Samsung. I burn mostly RiTEKG 04 (DVD-R) with my standalone DVD M305 and have not encountered any problem… :wink:

The writer is at the lastest firmware, GSB7 , I did read a lot here before purchasing and when the compability problem showedup, but too much information and too many tools to make sense of in a short amount of time, that is why I decided to ask for help :slight_smile:

FYI, I even upgraded it to GS0F (851S) successfully, but since I didn’t do the speed hack, it still burnt at 4X, Only today I found out that I should have used the speedhacked firmware to write at 8X on 4X media. Now it is back at GSB7, the version I got from liteon’s web site.

I am using memorex+RW and Memorex-RW dvd’s only as I am jobless and don’t want to create coasters.

Which program do I use to show you guys more information ? There seems to be so many of them.

I am running a WIndows XP PRO/SP1, Celeron 2.2 overclocked to 2.9, nero 6.3.1.6. (demo version)

The manual for the dcd player shows only DVD_r compatibility but, the dvdrhelp site shows that it is supposed to be compatible
with almost everything.

Obviously somebody was able to use the same media, and the -rw failed for one person … Not a very common player I guess

1 Memorex 1xDVD-RW (RITEK000V11A) comments, 0 plays 1 dont play.
1 Memorex 4xDVD+R (RICOHJPNR01) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.

Cyberhome 300 seesm to fare better though …

1 Memorex 4xDVD-R (CMC MAG. AF1) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
1 Memorex 4xDVD-R (ProdiscS03) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
1 Memorex 4xDVD+RW (RICOHJPNW11) comments, 0 plays 1 dont play.
1 Memorex 4xDVD+R (CMC MAG.F01) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
1 Memorex 2xDVD-RW (RITEKW01…) comments, 0 plays 1 dont play.

I find it weird that both are showing the same symptomps …

So do I run that k-probe thingie ? please advise …

A must have tool.

Full media code like this:

Thank you Thank you Thank you

got the software (Also got the k-probe thingie)

Here is the dvd identifier screen shot :

This one is a Memorex DVD-RW , with a small clip burnt on it.

This one is a Memorex DVD+RW , with a small clip burnt on it.

Here is a brand new never used Memorex+RW :

Unused disk the first page of dvd identifier, is that an error ?

Good. NOW we hawe info of your media… :smiley:

1. DVD-RW. I´m not familiar with RiTEKW 01, maybe somebody reading this is.
    Are you burning this @ 1X or 2X speed.?
    (Will add attachment later down)

2. DVD+RW. Unknown media…, read as BAD media.! I don´t think you will get these running on your standalone.
    [You better spend your mony on less, but higher quality media.]

-If you DVDplayer is compatible with DVD-RWs, I should go for an “downgrade” of burning speed descriptor with this utility, to start with.

Edit:Topicstarter edited, and so do I.
3. RICOHJPNW… is working well here as well… :wink:

Have you done full FORMAT/erase after your first (short) burns?
Whats the programs you are using for burning?

Report back.

The one which you said bad was a used DVD, I posted an empty one, can you look at that please ?

I am burning the -rw at 2X and +rw at 4X The dvd player (Samsung) is supposed to be compatible with -r only … Shall I also post an identifer of an empty -rw dvd ?

The Cyberhome is supposed to be compatible with everything …

they work well on my pc though …

here is the dvd identifier image of a never used memorex-rw

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Good. NOW we hawe info of your media… :smiley:

Have you done full FORMAT/erase after your first (short) burns?
Whats the programs you are using for burning?

Report back. [/B]

I did full format once (takes almost an hour, yikes !) other than that it is all quick formats.

I am using nero 6.3.1.6 demo version … I have also Roxio 6 (Oatest updates) but same results with it as well … I downloaded and tried TMPGENC and TMPGNC dvd builder as well, same results.

Right now I have a clean ghost image installed, only with roxio and nero …

P.S. Started a full format on the -rw DVD …to save time as I am guessing that is what you will ask me to do …

Originally posted by Goomph
[B]The one which you said bad was a used DVD, I posted an empty one, can you look at that please ?

I am burning the -rw at 2X and +rw at 4X The dvd player (Samsung) is supposed to be compatible with -r only … Shall I also post an identifer of an empty -rw dvd ?

The Cyberhome is supposed to be compatible with everything …
they work well on my pc though …
here is the dvd identifier image of a never used memorex-rw
[/B]

OK, you already got some answers.

• Samsung is not compatible with +/-RWs.
  • Yor DVD+RW, unbranded, put them aside…
  • DVD-RWs can “maybe” be used when burning @ 1X.
  • richjpnw11 is the road to go. Anyway to start with.

:cool:

[B]OK, you already got some answers.

• Samsung is not compatible with +/-RWs.
  • Yor DVD+RW, unbranded, put them aside…
  • DVD-RWs can “maybe” be used when burning @ 1X.
  • richjpnw11 is the road to go. Anyway to start with.

:cool: [/B]

Umm, ok let me guess what you mean , because you lost me :slight_smile:

I have the cyberhome which also refuses to read any of these dvd’s … maybe like 10 seconds and it …'s out on me. If I keep the rate to 1651 Kbps it shows … that is all.

I do not have unbranded dvd’s they are all Memorex plus or minus rewritables … No idea why the plus one showed like that.

You think the minux rewritables can MAYBE be read on Samsung …I will try that aftee the full format is completed

Isn’t richjpnw11 the +rw ? If the cyberhome reads the dvd’s I will just keep it, cost me only 35 US$ worth keeping … But I am thinking something else is wrong (Yeah I am stuck with the burner is defective idea :frowning: )

Thanks for all your help until now, very appreciated. Please keep them coming.

I´m two steps behind you… :bigsmile:

If you read my last post, I mentioned to go for +RW.

Sure you can erase -RWs…

BTW, NEVER mix Nero and Easy CD COASTER on same partition.
[Nero and RecordNow DX/Max, normaly works.]

-I need 20min. break-

Only a note; full format takes the same time as burning @ rated speed.
Keep your eyes open on this…

[B]I´m two steps behind you… :bigsmile:

If you read my last post, I mentioned to go for +RW.

Sure you can erase -RWs…

BTW, NEVER mix Nero and Easy CD COASTER on same partition.
[Nero and RecordNow DX/Max, normaly works.]

-I need 20min. break- [/B]

Ok, I wanted to be sure that you meant to sue the +rw ones …

I will restore my clean image and just install Nero then …

So you think the pluses are a possibility, and to forget about the minus rewritables … Well I think I should try to burn them at 1X speed and see what happens.

Here is what I did …

Went back to my nice clean ghost image …

Installed Nero

Burned some stuff which did not work

Burned a Memorex +rw at 2 times …

Samsung did not recognize the dcd

Cyberhome is gladly playing it !

Hmmmm ! How can I make Samsung read those dvd’s so that I can return the CYberhome ? My dvd is much nicer.

Wyy does the burnung speed make a difference anyways ? I am now going to apply the speedhack thingie magicie and see if I can burn the -RW at 1X and see what hapens …

[B]Ok, I wanted to be sure that you meant to sue the +rw ones …

I will restore my clean image and just install Nero then …

So you think the pluses are a possibility, and to forget about the minus rewritables … Well I think I should try to burn them at 1X speed and see what happens. [/B]

When you are ready with your ‘homework’, burn a DVD, run Nero CD-DVD Speed test on it and report back.
[This will give you an indication if the media is readable.]

Sure, if you have time, run it in Kprobe as well.
Remember; 4X speed (“max” unticked), PI/PO sum 8ECC.

Edit:we posted at same time…hehe :smiley:
You mentioned the bitsetting utility earlier… Try it again (for Samsung)

BTW, burning DVD-RW @ 1X speed will take you approx. one hour…
And yes, burn DVD+RWs @ 2,4X. (ricohjpnw 11)

[B]When you are ready with your ‘homework’, burn a DVD, run Nero CD-DVD Speed test on it and report back.
[This will give you an indication if the media is readable.]

Sure, if you have time, run it in Kprobe as well.
Remember; 4X speed (“max” unticked), PI/PO sum 8ECC.

Edit:we posted at same time…hehe :smiley:
You mentioned the bitsetting utility earlier… Try it again (for Samsung)

BTW, burning DVD-RW @ 1X speed will take you approx. one hour…
And yes, burn DVD+RWs @ 2,4X. (ricohjpnw 11) [/B]

Working on burning the -RW, 2 minutes dvd is taking forever at 1X. Also, when I look at the back of the DVD, it burns almost half of it (previous times) weird …

Once the -RW is over I will try the dvd test ! yehaaa it is finished :slight_smile:

:frowning: Neither of them read the memorex-rw written at 1X :frowning:

Burning another Memorex+RW at 2X … I will run the speed test on this one

I must have at least one bad media, or it needs a full format. The first +RW couldn’t be read , but the second one I burned worked beautifully. Running the nero speed test on it right now …

Here is the result of the cd/dvd speed test of nero :

Now I will burn a 5 minutes clip to see if that plays too …

Just wanna show you how good quality DVD-RW looks like.
This disk has been erased 19 times. Yes read right 19 times.

DVD-RW, sold as Maxell DVD-RW 2X.
Burned with RNM 4.5 (Eng.507) 411S fw FS0F @ 2X.

0000 : 01 40 d6 fd 9e d8 21 00  02 0e 08 06 88 85 0d 00   .@....!.........
0010 : 03 4d 43 43 20 30 31 00  04 52 57 31 31 6e 39 00   .MCC 01..RW11n9.
0020 : 05 06 88 85 0d 00 00 00  06 10 0b 05 60 05 10 00   ............`...
0030 : 07 10 0b 05 88 60 05 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   .....`..........

What does the lines in the chart represent ? error count ? I also deleted and rewrote this dvd a lot of times, you mean it is a crappy brand (Memorex ?) I have 5 more boxes (unopened) maybe I should return them ?

[B]Working on burning the -RW, 2 minutes dvd is taking forever at 1X. Also, when I look at the back of the DVD, it burns almost half of it (previous times) weird …

Once the -RW is over I will try the dvd test ! yehaaa it is finished :slight_smile:

:frowning: Neither of them read the memorex-rw written at 1X :frowning:

Burning another Memorex+RW at 2X … I will run the speed test on this one

I must have at least one bad media, or it needs a full format. The first +RW couldn’t be read , but the second one I burned worked beautifully. Running the nero speed test on it right now …

Here is the result of the cd/dvd speed test of nero :

Now I will burn a 5 minutes clip to see if that plays too … [/B]

Man… If I wouldn´t known you only burned ~400-500 MB, I would been shocked… :confused:

Try to burn FULL disk next time. These are…Rewritable… :smiley:

Run errortest as well. >Extra -->Scandisk -->SurfaceScan.

What does the lines in the chart represent ? error count ? I also deleted and rewrote this dvd a lot of times, you mean it is a crappy brand (Memorex ?) I have 5 more boxes (unopened) maybe I should return them ?

1. The line going upwards is DVD read speed.

2. The sraight line is DVD rpm´s (rotation)

3. Crappy… I would say the same. :wink: