451S and compatibility issues

Hi all, im new to this forum and first would like to say this is a great community and thank you for all the great tools, faqs, and help. :slight_smile:

On to the issues…
I have a lite-on 451S and a pack of dvd-r 4x PINE media. These work great on my ps2 (with most recent mod-chip) and my 5-6 year old dvd player. However, its odd how burned media doesn’t play on my newest dvd player (fully modded and works with ALL disc formats, and ONLY 1 year old). When I insert the disc into the player, it starts reading it but after 15 sec or so, it automatically ejects itself.
Does anyone know what the problem is with this?

My next question is whether I should invest in another PINE 25-pack but this time buy DVD+R instead and when burning, change the booktype to DVD-ROM? Are the chances of it working on my new dvd player bigger than before?

I was hoping to avoid other media types simply because my local comp store sells pine media for a very attracting price and I was hoping not to spend anything above that price.

Thanks in advance!!

What’s the media code? From what I remember that media is very low quality.

Have a read here and post back with more info (Kprobe scans and media code).

I’m at work right now so I don’t have access to the drive + discs.

However, I have scanned these media before and another odd thing is when I scan it, the media code comes out to all 0s!
Will knowing the media code have any effect or the help of this compatibility issue?

When you get home try DVDInfoPro to get the media code.

It’s the area highlighted yellow below.

If you post a Kprobe scan with the newest version of Kprobe it will show the media code as well.

from dvdinfopro:

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID AN31
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_LAST_SAMURAI
Application id
Implementation id mkisofs
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 3/18/2004 17:38:05
Format Capacity 4.37GB(4.69GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0B
2x Speed OPC power 10
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 17
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
4x Write Strategy field 2 98 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 88 65
4x Write Strategy field 5 98 9A 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22F54Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

could anyone be able to answer my questions now with the media code and kprobe scan?

Thanks in advance!

That media is very low quality. Use something better.

Do you happen to live in Canada? I know I’ve seen Pine media at FutureShop so that’s why I bring it up.

If so, I can recommend www.blankmedia.ca they have good prices and carry some decent media (the DVD+R 4X RITEK ARITA BRANDED and DVD-R 4X RITEK SHINY are a decent price/perfomance winner).

Yes I live in Canada :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recommendation!
I’m just curious to know why these low quality media would play on my 6 year old player prefectly and my ps2 (somewhat old) as opposed to playing on my new dvd player (only 1 yr old)! My new player has played everything since i got it.

Set top player compatibility is a touchy issue. Usually newer players work better, but not always. If you take a look at the bottom of the media and compare it to some better quality media you will probably see a large difference in reflectivity. This in conjunction with higher error rates can cause problems.
Just because a DVD player is newer does not always mean it’s better.

In my sig you will see a DVD player compatibility database. Perhaps it might be an idea to search it for your player and see if anyone else has reported problems.

But when it comes right down to it I really think it’s the media that should be blamed and not the player.

To ensure you get what you want it’s always recommended to buy media in smaller batches to start with. Perhaps this player is very picky and won’t accept even higher quality media.

Learn how to use Kprobe (check the tools guide in my sig) and you will be able to judge for youself different media quality.

thanks for the insights seth. its really appreciated!

you have recommended +r discs and -r discs, before i go ahead with my purchase, im wondering if the +r discs burned as -rom will be more compatible with dvd players or the -r will be more compatible?

the dvds will probably be lent to different ppl with diff dvd players so that’s why im taking this in consideration.

If you burn +R with the -ROM booktype it is just as compatible with set top players as -R discs (they are pretty much equal).

Bottom line whether you pick +R or -R is the best possible quality of media will ensure the greatest compatibility with the widest range of players. If you want the best then there is non better the Taiyo Yuden (TY), you do pay for it though.
Again, try smaller batches to start to ensure it works good with your setup. Blankmedia.ca offers test samples for cheap. If you are ordering anyway it’s a good idea to pick some up and then you can do some tests with Kprobe and your players and see what you like best.

Also be aware different firmware version give different results with different media types. Search the LiteOn forum and you will see the questions on different firmwares have been asked and answered many times.

GL!

(As this is pretty much confirmed to be a media topic now I am moving the thread to the Media Forum)