451s@851s worth it?

i recently just udpated the firmware on my 451s to GSB7 to have the BitSetting feature. i was reading that a handful of people burning w/ good media are getting below average results on kprobe w/ 4x-burn, 4x-read @8ECC. i also read that some people got better results when they did 451s@851s. so… is it worth it?

i don’t really care about the 8x speed but more the reliability of my burns on 4x (RICOHs DVD+R for example). just want to have a good data/movie backup(s). if it is worth it, i searched and checked out one thread over here…pretty much, this is the link that i got out from it… http://www.liteon401s.prv.pl/ …anyone care to provide the steps/how-to/walkthrough for doing 451s@851s?

thanks in advance.

The big advantage was the bit setting, which is now in the 451 firmware.

The ability to burn +R at 8x is nice, but it’s a personal decision if this is important to you or not.

Most I know who’ve done this have not lost anything - their drive burns as well as it did before.

Why not try it? If it doesn’t work you can always go back to 451 firmware . . .

k, if i do decide 451s@851s…a couple of things…

-i know 451s@851s support BitSetting…will i be allowed to make it region free?

-i heard that support for CD-r sucks w/ 451s@851s… is this true?

-what are the easiest/simplest steps to do a 451s@851s? break-it down the best way you can.

-any other advantages/disadvantages that i’ve missed to having 451s@851s? (besided the fact that the warranty can be discontinued…even though i got my drive from NE w/ an extended warranty ^^ )

-will i need to go back down to GSB6 before doing an up to 451s@851s?

TIA

ps. might just want to know… here’s some results from Memorex 4x DVD+R (RICOHs) burnt at 4x, scanned at 4x 8ECC

> i know 451s@851s support BitSetting…will i be allowed to
> make it region free?

I dunno, never tried it on a 451. Why not use AnyDVD? It’ll do it software so no messing with the drive is needed.

> i heard that support for CD-r sucks w/ 451s@851s… is
> this true?

Not for the couple I’ve seen running @851, but I don’t have a great deal of experience there so I can’t say definitively. Again, if that happens you can just flash back to 451 firmware.

> what are the easiest/simplest steps to do a 451s@851s?
> break-it down the best way you can.

I’ll try to write a step by step for this tomorrow, basically there is a program that will modify the factory upgrade.exe files so they will allow 851 software to load into a 451. There are also binary files around to use with other tools.

> -any other advantages/disadvantages that i’ve missed to
> having 451s@851s? (besided the fact that the warranty can
> be discontinued…even though i got my drive from NE w/ an
> extended warranty ^^ )

Not that I’m aware of.

> -will i need to go back down to GSB6 before doing an up to
> 451s@851s?

No, you can just load the new firmware.

-Bob-

great, i’ll await your step-by-step–thanks!

> i know 451s@851s support BitSetting…will i be allowed to
> make it region free?

I dunno, never tried it on a 451. Why not use AnyDVD? It’ll do it software so no messing with the drive is needed.

i did try it on 451s GSB7 and it works…are you talking about a 451s@851s?