451S-851S-812S@U18A Sony (It works)

DVD+R bit setting does not work…

Originally posted by C0deKing
If you don’t mind me asking; Newegg’s; what did they charge you for freight. Also can you provide a link to their site for the DVDs. Thanks…

www.newegg.com … on last check, shipping for their G04’s was free… They are VERY reliable. I’ve done a dozen purchases from them, and they have sky-high ratings from various consumer-rating groups.

Originally posted by code65536
www.newegg.com … on last check, shipping for their G04’s was free… They are VERY reliable. I’ve done a dozen purchases from them, and they have sky-high ratings from various consumer-rating groups.

Thanks. That’s what I tried before asking but the link is down. When you say free do you mean in the USA. I’m in New Zealand.

Any more updates on the tests…

[B]Thanks. That’s what I tried before asking but the link is down. When you say free do you mean in the USA. I’m in New Zealand.

Any more updates on the tests… [/B]

Oh. Newegg doesn’t ship ouside the US.

No, haven’t done any tests since #3. Got caught up on a few things that I had to take care of.
*Edit: Just tried to start #4. Stuck at 1% on lead-in. Strange, since #3 burned just fine, and the only difference is 1) a reboot in between and 2) no simulation was performed before the burn for #4.

Okay, I’m too tired. I’m going to go to bed. In the meantime, if anyone else would like to try burning -R discs at 8x with UYS1, be my guest, as I would love to see the results.

I’ll continue this tomorrow.

Just tried to start #4. Stuck at 1% on lead-in. Strange, since #3 burned just fine, and the only difference is 1) a reboot in between and 2) no simulation was performed before the burn for #4.

I have read reports of this with 8x DVD-R and 451S/US05. I am convinced that the SOHW-812S does have different hardware. I have tried 812S eeprom and US0A in my 451S and blank DVD-R still could not be detected. This tells me that there is a new hardware register that Liteon is looking at to do with DVD-R.

I think for this test we should focus on DVD+R 8x, DVD-R 4x, 8x read, bit setting, reliability and quality of write.

812S owners may find this firmware works ok with 8x DVD-R and will also have the benefit of bit setting and write quality.

[B]I have read reports of this with 8x DVD-R and 812S. I am convinced that the SOHW-812S does have different hardware. I have tried 812S eeprom and US0A in my 451S and blank DVD-R still could not be detected. This tells me that there is a new hardware register that Liteon is looking at to do with DVD-R.

I think for this test we should focus on DVD+R 8x, DVD-R 4x, 8x read, bit setting, reliability and quality of write.

812S owners may find this firmware works ok with 8x DVD-R and will have the benefit of bit setting and write quality. [/B]

Okay, so I guess I’m not quite asleep yet… :slight_smile:

Yea, I think you might be right about the hardware. But just concentrating on 8x +R and 4x -R just isn’t nearly as exciting as toying with that remote possibility that 8x -R would work. :wink: Maybe I’m just being stubbornly foolish with this 8x -R thing, but it adds spice to things… :slight_smile:

Using UYS1 - CloneDVD2 at 8x RICOHJPNR01-002

[B]Okay, so I guess I’m not quite asleep yet… :slight_smile:

Yea, I think you might be right about the hardware. But just concentrating on 8x +R and 4x -R just isn’t nearly as exciting as toying with that remote possibility that 8x -R would work. :wink: Maybe I’m just being stubbornly foolish with this 8x -R thing, but it adds spice to things… :slight_smile: [/B]

I have been toying with this for a number of weeks. What you will find is UYS1 works quite well on the 812 drive. On the x51 drives it works but you can’t burn 8X -R and it does not properly write Lead-In on some -R discs. As you suspect, there are some hardware differences between the x51 drives and the 812. 8X -R writing on these drives, while technically possible, is not likely to happen without LiteOn’s support.

Sadly, I side with worker on this one.

Hardware differences are just too great. We would need a NEW, correctly compiled f/w with new control structs…=(.

LiteOn isnt going to let this happen any time soon.

Loading the .BIN using LtnFW with Boot Code enabled will have the same effect as running the patched XFlash version, except you won’t have to download as much data, and you can just download it off a website instead of waiting for e-mail. :slight_smile: Well, if you’re impatient like me… :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help bro, I will try it ASAP!!

Originally posted by worker
I have been toying with this for a nymber of weeks. What you will find is UYS1 works quite well on the 812 drive. On the x51 drives it works but you can’t burn 8X -R and it does not properly write Lead-In on some -R discs. As you suspect, there are some hardware differences between the x51 drives and the 812. 8X -R writing on these drives, while technically possible, is not likely to happen without LiteOn’s support.

Sigh. I guess I let me optimism get the better of me. Well, time for me to abandon that optimism and to face reality…

RITEKG04 (same spindle as disc from test #3) burned at 4x on 451@812 UYS1, 2.3 GB data written… (basically, same test as #3, run a second time) (this was NOT burned at 8x!)

RICOHJPNR01 burned at 8x on 451@812 UYS1, 4.1 GB data written…

• Bitsetting did NOT work… just as with the 812S firmwares, the utility said that it worked, but it didn’t really work (popped it in another drive, and it was recognized as +R)
  • Compared to my 451@851 GS0F scans, these are much worse. Since I use RICOHJPNR01 discs much more frequently than RITEKG04 discs, I’m going to revert back to my previous setup

Because +R writing was worse for me and also because bitsetting doesn’t work, I’m going to go back to 451@851 GS0F. Since 8x -R doesn’t work if flashed onto a 451/851 (Nero/SB says you can, but you really can’t), the only real benefit is the better -R writing quality (and reading speed, which I did not verify). Since I do almost all +R and only a few -R, I’m gonna revert.

*edit: my reverting back is a decision that I made based on my own circumstances… for me, the +R was worse, and I personally did more +R than -R, so that’s why I reverted… but people should make their decisions not based on what I do, but on what your results are and what you do with your drive

Hey! Cheer up man! :D.

Your efforts and the fact that you took the time to try are good enough. You have made a significant contribution here!

With all respect to Code65536 but I think he became fixated with achieving 8x DVD-R writing on RITEKG04 media which has been proved to not work anyway. My original flasher did not allow RITEKG04 to write at 8x. Even the Polish site remove the firmware that allowed 8x write with RITEKG04. 812S firmware only allows certified 8x DVD-R media to be written so prehap 8x DVD-R should be re-addressed with this firmware on certified media.
This firmware is giving me the best writes on DVD+r and DVD-R that I have every had. Plus the 8x read which allow for 33% faster ripping and copying is fantastic. A whole DVD±R/W can be read in under 10 minutes.
Before I loaded this firmware I loaded my original eeprom into the drive. I think this is one of the keys to the success of this upgrade and I would recommend that anybody who has a copy of their original eeprom does the same.

The attach KProbe is about as good as it comes. I used Nero to write it to avoid the buffer under run spikes of my previous scan above.

UYS1 Ricoh Media RICOHJPNR01-002 ECC8

Here is Nero showing the increased read speed of the above media. This is a hugh positive to me and should have been added to the 851S firmware by LiteOn if they cared about the existing customers.

See the elapsed time…

[B]With all respect to Code65536 but I think he became fixated with achieving 8x DVD-R writing on RITEKG04 media which has been proved to not work anyway. My original flasher did not allow RITEKG04 to write at 8x. Even the Polish site remove the firmware that allowed 8x write with RITEKG04. 812S firmware only allows certified 8x DVD-R media to be written so prehap 8x DVD-R should be re-addressed with this firmware on certified media.
This firmware is giving me the best writes on DVD+r and DVD-R that I have every had. Plus the 8x read which allow for 33% faster ripping and copying is fantastic. A whole DVD±R/W can be read in under 10 minutes.
Before I loaded this firmware I loaded my original eeprom into the drive. I think this is one of the keys to the success of this upgrade and I would recommend that anybody who has a copy of their original eeprom does the same.

The attach KProbe is about as good as it comes. I used Nero to write it to avoid the buffer under run spikes of my previous scan above.

UYS1 Ricoh Media RICOHJPNR01-002 ECC8 [/B]

Yes, I did become fixated on the -R goal. :slight_smile:

A few points…

1. I should’ve clarified in my concluding statements that I made my decision based on my own circumstances. My drive liked GS0F more than UYS1 when it came to +R media (you can compare my scans in this thread with my scans in other threads)… this may not be true for all drives, and there are probably drives where UYS1 would work better (like yours). Kinda like how some 811S drives like HS0P, and some liked HS0K. People should base their decision about this FW based on what they personally think is important (how important is bitsetting vs. 8x read) and also on how their particular drive likes the FW. I’m not saying that everyone should abandon this FW. I’m just saying that I am. :slight_smile:

2. Many 812S owners have been able to write RITEKG04 discs at 8x. And I think I may have seen a few U18A’s do RITEKG04 at 8x (though I can’t remember too clearly). As zebra and worker pointed out, the reason why 8x -R isn’t working isn’t because of the lack of 8x-cert. media, but because the hardware simply doesn’t support it.

Verbatim 8x certified media MCC003 ECC8