451@851@812

vbimport

Anyone had any success with the mod that is going around for 851@812? I tried it but it wouldn’t write to a disc plus or minus with nero 6.3 just kept hanging at the lead in. The drive still worked after flashing though which I thought was encouraging. Had to revert back to 451@851 GSOA to get it to write to a disc. Anyone with any information or experiences that might help?
Scootz.

[fine print]

[ul][li]Now that it’s snuck out I know people are going to be trying it. So I thought I’d mention it’s always a good idea to backup your current firmware and EEPROM (use LtnFlash) before modifying your drive. Actually it’s always a good idea to have a backup copy period.
[/li][li]As with any mod be aware of the dangers. You could end up destroying your drive as well as voiding your warranty. In short, make sure you can afford to go buy another one.
[/li][li]Read me as well.[/ul]
[/li][/fine print]

:smiley:

did you downgrade to 451s FW before patching to 812 ? if not then do it and try then. good luck.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]

• [li] In short, make sure you can afford to guy buy another one.

Guy buy? lol :stuck_out_tongue:
sorry Ssseth I had to point that one out. :eek:

Originally posted by miszcz
did you downgrade to 451s FW before patching to 812 ? if not then do it and try then. good luck.

I’m curious; why do you recommend doing that?

Originally posted by miszcz

Tried this method. Didn’t work.

I did this mod, written 2 discs one with sonic and one with nero 6.3.0.3.

Perfect! (both +Rs at 8x), and it solved a problem i had where the lead in took 58 seconds, it now takes 20! Scans are excellent too.

My drive was previousley 451 @851 GS0C, just updated right away and rebooted.

Take note: The flashing program goes straight to 100%, but if you just leave it there a dialogue comes up saying successful.

Good luck!

I was also able to sucessfully upgrade a 451s@851s to a 812s. However on my first burn I was allowed to burn my worst media (hypermedia CMC DVD+R) at 8x (rated for 2.4x). Upon further investigation with smartburn v316 all my media- including DVD+RW was rated to burn at 8x- thats not possible, is it?

Of course it is possible, who know how this firmware is hacked?

We don’t know the author or what methods they’ve used to hack this firmware.
Speedhacking firmware is a common practice around here :bigsmile:
Some media that is low rated actually burns quite well at higher speeds. YMMV of course.

I understand how +/-R can be written faster than rated but burning a DVD+RW at 8x???

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]Of course it is possible, who know how this firmware is hacked?

We don’t know the author or what methods they’ve used to hack this firmware.[/B]
It is easy to find out the method. Extract the firmware from the installer and compare it to the available .bin file and you will know :slight_smile:
The eeprom checksum check is disabled as usual and the speed selecting bytes in the media descriptor section are changed, thats all.

Can someone send me or point me to the firmware for 851 to 812 please. rwarrin@hotmail.com

Thanks

Read my fine print in the second post in this thread before using it.
451S/851S@812S

This mod is very new and not very much information has been brought to my attention about it yet.

I have the 851 and not sure if the link you have has the update from a true 851s. If it is then which file to get. ANd what sequence to do such as EEPROM first then firmware or what?

I don’t know.

Originally posted by Ssseth
This mod is very new and not very much information has been brought to my attention about it yet.

Please don’t crosspost anymore it is against forum rules. (You posted same type question
here)

For anyone potentially wanting to try this. Please read me first.