44x 24x 44x

vbimport

Hi All,

I know this is not directly related to Liteon, but take a look at this:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/computer/index.html

Features 24x RW speed.

Does anyone know if Liteon has an ace up its sleeve? Since the Yamaha CRW-F1E is supposed to be released in July, one can hope that Liteon is not lagging behind.

Lite-On have LTR-48166W (48/16/48X) and LTR-48246W(48/24/48X) based on the mediatek series “6” chipset that supports 24X re-writing coming in the near future. (July/august probably).

So they are coming…

OC-Freak,

Thanks. That was quite prompt. :slight_smile:

If you have heard about the Yamaha, you have probably noticed it:

CRW-F1 supports up to 870MB and has CD-MRW.

Do the Liteons have comparable features? I was just about to place my order for a 32W Liteon and a TEAC today, when I came across this news :smiley:

Guess I’ll wait a bit longer :cool:

Lite-On have LTR-48166W (48/16/48X) and LTR-48246W(48/24/48X) based on the mediatek series “6” chipset that supports 24X re-writing coming in the near future. (July/august probably).

Would you mind posting some specs if you have them? Esp. the 48/24/48

Lite-On will support CD-MRW and most likely also 870MB(99min) CD’s(since all previous models supports it).

Hope they do. From whatever I have been reading so far (including this forum), some models don’t / didn’t come with MRW out of the box.

Incidentally, the SONY CRX1611 that is actually a Liteon 16101B can overburn only to 82+ minutes.

However, I’m more interested in overburning the CD-RW rather than the CD-R. I presume that should be possible…

Are u sure that this information is correct?

Because this would mean that a LTR-48166W (48/16/48X) can be (overclocked ) upgraded with a firmware flash to a 48/24/48 drive.

If that would be possible …:slight_smile: :smiley: :cool:

I hardly ever rewrite anymore but I suppose it could come in handy.

Truthfully just want DVD burners to lower there price, maybe a 4x or 6x DVD burner for $199.00.

I don’t use rewrite often, except for backing ud data on my HDD etc.

Given the low price of CD-Rs, it’s cheaper to use them rather than RWs. For the cost of one CD-RW, I can buy 7-9 CD-Rs.

The only concern would be environmental. Has anyone thought about what they’d be doing with so many CD-Rs a few years down the line, most of which would contain useless data (by that time)?

I’d rather pay more for a drive that doesn’t have media quality issues. The 48125W is my second LiteOn drive that I’m returning. Plex, Teac and Yamaha’s reputation are deserved given the fact that they write with just about any media, error free. Software can address copy protection issues for backups, but I can’t stand finicky hardware.

Notice no Tier1 manufacturers have released a 48X drive? Why? Because the Tier1 companies realized that it’s too early and written media wouldn’t meet their standards.

The Yamaha’s drive is 44X, in between 40X and 48X… probably a reason behind it.

Originally posted by tazdevl
[B]

Notice no Tier1 manufacturers have released a 48X drive? Why? Because the Tier1 companies realized that it’s too early and written media wouldn’t meet their standards.

The Yamaha’s drive is 44X, in between 40X and 48X… probably a reason behind it. [/B]

Agreed, but that does not mean the Lite-ONs are any worse than the other ones, just that other manufactuters have refrained from releasing them and are adopting a cautious policy of wait and see simply because the present technology as well as the media issues are not fully resolved yet.

Yup… but the other manufacturers took a better route, call it the high road (which most Tier1’s do, they can afford to). They didn’t introduce a product to market too early and license it to OEM/ODMs. I respect that. They understood what it would do to their perception in the market.

The only other company with a comparable product is BenQ… which is also a Tier2 company.

Tiering happens for a reason and this is a good example why it’s worth paying attention to.

Asus also have a 48X in stores…

That’s right, forgot about them. I’m not too sure about their drives as well. I’ll be curious to see what the new firmware for the 48125W does… if anything. They probably slowed it down a bit so it doesn’t write as many errors.

I have no problems at all with my 31223S, maybe it’s just a problem for the faster Lite-On’s?

Most if not all problems at high speed seem to be mainly media related. At the risk of repeating myself once more, here’s what I base my conclusions on.

I went through two spindles of the same media and tried all firmwares avaliable for the 40125S, official and overclocked. It seems the burner is most reliable using the original firmware (Z-CLV), but the actual differences are small in CD-Speed Scandisk. As for all the later P-CAV, they all give sensibly similar results.

In all cases, the media is the main limiting factor.

As for different apps, no major differences at a given burn speed, Except when using Norton Ghost (it’s a DOS app and it doesn’t let you set the burn speed). Seems the burns are much slower with all the later firmwares and that at least for this app, the early Z-CLV firmwares work best.