4167B not reading/burning +R

vbimport

Hi, I’m new and i’m having issues with my LG 4167B.

When I put a blank DVD+R in it, the writer tries to read it then gives up or just ignores it.
When I put a non-blank DVD+R, Windows (XP) says it’s a blank CD.

I’m trying to read a DVD+R my friend burned using the same writer model and Nero version I have. I have the latest driver and Nero Info Tool says it can read/write DVD+R/RW. But it just doesn’t.

Do you have any idea about what can be wrong?

What do you expect from the drive when inserting a BLANK DVd into it??

The only useful task would be to insert a blank media to burn to it or to identify the media/mediacode.

Use a proper burning app if you want to burn DVDs.

I agree 100% with chef

As for the DVD+R that your friend burned…the LG drives can be picky about media, so it’s possible that your drive doesn’t like that disc. As suggested, try loading that disc into DVD Identifier, and post the Media ID for us.

Can you read pressed (store-bought) DVDs with the drive?

when I put a blank DVD +R I expect windows to say: ‘hey you have a blank dvd in there, what do you wanna do with it?’

My drive does read pressed DVDs.

The DVD I’m trying to read is a data disk

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

About ‘my drive not linking that specific disk’, my friend has the exact same writer, why can’t I read/write DVD+R?.

The fact that it’s identified as Book-Type DVD-ROM would suggest that it has been written to & can be correctly seen, by DVD Identifier at least. A blank one shows as Disc & Book type - DVD+R.

Don’t know that this helps at all though.

Maybe IsoBuster would see something on there.

Tell that m$…

HAhahA you know what I mean.

If I try to burn using a DVD+R disk Nero says:

Disk required to burn this compilation: DVD+R, DVD-R…
Disk in writer: DVD+R

but nothing happens…

[B]Ausentao[/B]
That’s exactly what happens to me when I insert, e. g., a DVD +RW. The drive
says, that I can use anything but +RW, though this writer supports all the formats. I don’t know what’s wrong with it…The only use I can get from 4167 now is CD-RW burning (for my DVDRAM won’t recognise most of the disks), but I already have LG Combo for that purpose :slight_smile: :frowning: I’ll try to reinstall my W2K3, yet I doubt it’ll help - it seems that the drive itself is corrupted (it cannot simply ignore ~90% of media, whatever stupid compatibility fancies it has).

What’s the firmware version of your drive?

[B]pejakm[/B]
if you’re asking me, mine is DL13 (the same happened with DL11). I read that thread about PSU, now I’m almost sure that it’s due to some power issues. BTW, I’ve had my Lite-on replaced recently - the symptoms were alike: not reading/writing CDs, blinking LED, hanging PC…but: I’ve been using that Lite-on Combo for a year, and all of a sudden it just stopped working. The service said that the drive had failed, well…I hope it had nothing to do with my PSU, cause in that case I’m the trouble maker, breaking all the drives, that happen to fall into my clutches :wink:
Now LG DVDRAM. Thinking…how to tell the service nothing about the PSU stuff (for then they’ll offer me to buy a decent unit), but to ask for another (non-LG) drive (since history will probably repeat itself - the PC is still the same…and what to ask for? Nec? Benq?). Thanks for suggestions.

Probably. What is the total output power of your PSU? If it’s 400 W that should be enough…

It’s 300W, Target ATX (not sure of the manufacturer though: while buying my PC 4 years ago I was rather ignorant of the relevance of the brand :().

That could be the problem. Burners, especially DVD burners, need a lot of power. Try borrow 400 W (or higher) PSU from someone, and test your burner. Do you have any other optical drive installed? How about give me your whole configuration details (cpu, mb, etc.)?

I won’t be able to use a DVD-RW drive on my system then, will I?

My PC:
VIA Shuttle AK31v.2 (old BIOS, 2001 yr.)
Duron 750,
128+256 MB DDR RAM,
nVidia 32 MB Riva TNT,
WD 20 GB (+fan),
floppy,
modem,
LAN card,
LG Combo,
LG Flatron 795FT Plus
and
LG DVDRAM :slight_smile:

I unplugged the Combo, floppy, even the monitor, inserted a blank
DVD-R TDK disc into the DVDRAM and no results. I tried LG DVD-RW
media and still nothing: the LED was blinking and the drive shaking a
bit (I didn’t tackle it for that moment, but while spinning the disk
knocked inside as if it stuck, what wasn’t the case with CD-RW
or other media, that were recognized).

BTW, has anyone 4167 working properly on a system with <300W PSU?

Your system should be capable to use a DVD-RW drive, although you might not be able to burn at 16x. I have had a working LG 4082B on a PIII/667.

BTW, has anyone 4167 working properly on a system with <300W PSU?
My old system was equipped with a 200W PSU. But there wasn’t a 4167 drive.

There is one issue with old systems: Leaking capacitors in the PSU and on the mainboard. Last year I had to replace a decent fortron (built in 2000) due to that.

Michael

I have a feeling my other PC could have a PSU that’s either 300W or less. It’s a 4 year old eMachine, I’d have to double check the PSU though, it’s the one that came with it.

And my 4167 works just fine in there…

Hm… Your configuration isn’t that good… How about to take your DVD burner to a friend who has better computer (and possibly a better PSU)? Is there anyone near you who can help you that way? If the burner starts working normaly, then you will definitely know that your power suply isn’t enough.
Also, try to find something here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=160378

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=166553

Yes, it works fine on an old system I have with a Aopen 250W PSU.

This problem is most probably related to ripple in the power supply or something similar, not the wattage of the PSU. See here :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=166553

Come on, please read all the information in the other threads about this PSU related issue and stop speading mis-information. A DVD burner only takes about 15W of power, it’s not the rated Wattage of the PSU that is important here, it’s the quality of its output capacitors. It has already been reported here that some computers with 230 Watt PSU’s work ok with this burner while others have problems with 400 Watt PSU’s.

Still you are correct that a good quality 400W PSU would probably fix his problem, but so would a good quality 300W unit. Actually any good quality PSU will normally have good enough quality capacitors for this drive, pretty much regardless of Wattage.

BTW Arachne, have you read my thread on this where I describe how to fix this issue by adding a capacitor to one of the molex connectors of your PSU. So far I think it’s worked for everyone who has tried it and can save you from needing a new PSU.

An LG burner needs more than 15W (especially 416x ones).