4166 or 4167?

Any advice here on which way to go?

Also, while I have seen the 4166 for sale online, I haven’t seen the 4167B in the USA–although I did see a 4167BI whatever that is.

Both are available at Newegg. There seem to be more 4167 tests since the 4166 isn’t quite as popular.

The one at Newegg is 4167BI and the review drive is 4167B. I don’t know why there is a difference with that added I.

Seems like the 4166 is a newer version and that would explain the lack of reviews, and likely the popularity as well. The one thing I’ve gathered from reading posts here is a difference in the chip. I believe it was a Panasonic in the 4166 and some other chip that was used in older versions also used in the 4167.

I have burned a YUDEN000 T02 at 8X with the 4166B with the 1.01 firmware and the results were top quality, virtually the same scans that I get with my 4163 and all my other drives (same discs). It also seems to rip at a decent speed, near 9X or so and bitsetting for +R is built in. I have no use for Lightscribe, but one user reported it as much lighter than the BenQ version.

Newegg actually has three variants of that drive, OEM versions 4167BG and 4167BK as well as the retail version 4167BI. Previously Newegg added those odd modifiers to indicate the colour of the drive. BG is a white model and BK seems to be a black model. I don’t understand BI though, since there seems to be only grey for retail drives. If you’re worried, get the retail BI version. So long as it says GSA-4167B not GWA-4167B or GCA-4167B, you should be alright.

The 4167B uses a chipset from Renesas. That’s the same type of chipset as in the 4163B. It isn’t really a case of the Panasonic chipset in the 4166B being newer and the Renesas being older that is the issue. Usually, Panasonic chipset writers have crappy burn quality and cannot do booktyping. The 4166B is an exception to the rule because it seems to do both decently. In reviews I’ve read, the 4167B does have better burn quality though, especially for less well known media.

4167 is the newest drive, and has impressed in tests and the drive auto sets booktype to dvd-rom, I would go for it.

Based on what I have read here, so would I. I was actually very surprised that my 4166 did so well. No saying how it would do with other media.

Sorry if it’s off-topic. but it’s really necessary to disconnect all devices and set LG drive as master in PIO to upgrade firmware? I read this on LG site, but it’s really boring to open computer every time to change a firmware :frowning:

Not really, but a few people have reported problems with other methods that were resolved when they did it the hard way. The only way I have found that will NOT work is firewire. I do mine on USB.

BTW, back on the 4166/4167 question, I have found that the 4166 will burn 16X -R at 12X, which is a significantly better burn quality. I have also noted that the 4163 will not do this. As the 4167 is a similar chipset, it might have the same problem. I rarely use this media, but in a while most media will be 16X so it is something to consider.

The BI also has me totally confused as that is supposed to be the retail version, but on LG’s website it shows 4167B.

I also see this drive on another website, aside from Newegg, and again it’s listed as 4167BI:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=174241

I went to LG’s site but I don’t see where there are firmware upgrades, or any instructions. Can someone point me to where the firmware upgrades are listed? I’m in the USA.

The AU site is more current. The 4166 is not available yet.

I would not worry so much about the designations as the drives generally are the same, other than software and faceplate. The “I” at the end probably stands for internal.

Thanks for the link.

As it states only for 4167B, I assume the 4167BI is all right :confused:

The instructions for installing the firmware are somewhat strange to me, being a Plextor user. According to the instructions as seen below, I should disconnect my Plextor (Slave) on the Secondary IDE channel and also disconnect from the Internet (I have DSL) and disable A/V, firewall, and anti-spyware programs while doing the update. Now, how about on rebooting? Do I have to take those programs out of the Startup group so they don’t start when rebooting, or can I just disable them while updating and let them start on the reboot?

¡Ø INSTRUCIONS

GSA-4167B Version DL12 Firmware Update
To update the firmware of the GSA-4167B please refer to the following instructions:

Note: Not following the subsequent update instructions explicitly will result in
permanent damage to your drive, for which LG will not be responsible.

This firmware update is for drives with original firmware versions below DL11.
The drives must be original LG branded drives with the DVD Writer
model number GSA-4167B(no OEM units).

If you have an OEM unit, branded with another manufacturers name,
please contact that manufacturer for support and firmware updates.

This firmware update is for use only on PC¡¯s with Windows XP, Windows 2000,
Windows Millennium Edition (ME), or Windows 98SE.

¡Ø Critical Instructions: (to be followed carefully)

1. Connect the drive as ¡°master¡± by it self, on the secondary IDE controller with
    no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper on
    the back of the drive to the ¡°master¡± position.

2. Download the file GSA-4167DL12(EW).ZIP to a folder of your choice.
    This download includes this “Read me(ew)” text file, as well as the GSA4167DL12.EXE
    program, which will auto-update your drive¡¯s firmware.

3. Close all other programs including: screen saver, antivirus and/or power-down programs.
    (If these programs are not closed, they will try to engage the PC, during the update process,
    thus interrupting the update and damaging the drive).

4. Check the drive to ensure that there is no disk in the tray
    before you start the update procedure.

5. Go into the folder with the update file and double click the GSA4167DL12.EXE program
    and click the¡°update¡±button (red). Once the update is complete,
    you will see¡°Firmware Update Complete¡±and the button will become green
    and advise you to reboot the system.

¡Ø You will need to reboot your PC
The update will be complete, after you reboot your system.

¡Ø WARNING:
Do not open any programs or start any system functions during the update,
as they will interfere with data transfer and damage the drive.
Do not cancel the operation once it has been started or the drive will
become permanently damaged, as a result.

The startup part is not critical so don’t worry about what is connected or what software is set to run. The important part is when you flash the drive. Nothing should be running that can interfere and there should be no discs in the drive. Many people have flashed with another drive on the cable and others have had to disconnect so make your choice. You need to confirm before you flash that you are flashing the right drive; this is why they have you remove any other drives as a safety measure.

The 4167B is not the newer of the two drives. 4166B and 4167B were both released roughly about the same time, but depending on where you are around the world, one model may have appeared on the market before the other.

Anyway, which is newer is not really important. 4166B has lightscribe, 4167B doesn’t. One is targeted at people who want lightscribe, the other at people who just want a pure burner. It depends on what you need. It’s the same with other manufacturers, e.g. BenQ 1650 and 1655.

I think all these codes are just things the retailers added to distinguish one type from another. I’ve seen something similar in the shops I bought my 4167B from. Some referred to the drive as 4167BB and 4167BW, to indicate what colour the drive is. When I got the thing, the box itself said just 4167B.

If you are in doubt which to get, go for the retail model as the OEM one may not come with bundled burning software. Unless you already have that software (it was Nero 6 in my case) you might want to spend a little more and get the retail version. Just make sure the model is GSA-4167B not GWA-4167B.

I intend to get the retail version, always do.

Since I have to confirm which drive, I don’t see a need to disbable my Plextor 712A. But how come people have been unable to flash without disconnecting the other drive, assuming they chose the correct drive?

Does it matter if I use a 40 or 80 pin IDE connector? I still have my Plextor 712A using the 80-conductor IDE/ATA cable that came with the Plextor 716.

I cannot really determine why they are having problems as it is certainly something that is system dependant and not a function of the drive. I have flashed my drives with others connected all the time with no trouble. As to the 80 wire, that is all I use and I have never seen a drive that would not work with an 80 wire cable, while I have seen plenty that had trouble with 40. Stick with 80.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for your help!