4163B and Verbatim DVD+R 16x YUDEN000 T03-000 MIJ - what burn speed?

vbimport

Hi!

Bought these Verbatims DVD+R 16x (Advanced Azo+) YUDEN000 T03-000, made in Japan (25 spindle, made in 2006) and wonder which speed to use to burn them for high quality (low jitter etc). Previously I asked similar Q re V. DVD+R 16x MCC004 MIT by CMC Magentics and finally sticked to 4x speed (thanks to tests conduscted by Arachne). Wonder if it’s the same for these TY ones (that is: 4x is the best here as well)?

If anyone has this burner, this media and some drive to test quality on, please help me choose correct burn speed.

btw which media is better in your opinion: this YUDEN000 T03-000 or MCC004 MIT CMC Magnetics?

Firmware used: A106.

TIA!

The 4163 rarely burns well at 16x. Suggest 12x, which should work very well and is nearly as fast. The TY will always burn well in the 4163, I’d stick with it if you can. The MCC should also do well at 12x, but some batches are better at 8x.

12x? I’m thinking of 4x - to minimalize jitter levels.

Main Q/point here is: does this YUDEN000 T03-000 media burn relatively well @all speeds on this drive (ok, except 16x), including lower ones like 4x, that is - is it true multispeed media like MCC004? Or does it have some one preferred speed which is (much) better in terms of quality than others (and similarly: does it have some one speed which is (much) worse in terms of quality than others))? I wouldn’t like to choose 4x only to find out later that it burns @4x WORSE than 8x etc (unlike MCC004). Main concern for me is lowest possible jitter.

hope I explained quite clearly what I mean/aim and what I’d like to know about this burner/media combo.

The media itself is true multi-speed and I have burned it with great results at 4x in my NEC ND-4551A. I don’t know if the LG 4163 has an optimized strategy for burning it at 4x however.

Main concern for me is lowest possible jitter.

Since there’s no reliable way for you to measure jitter at home, nobody can answer that question for you. personally, I think you’re chasing a goose. Burn at 8x if you want to play it safe, and don’t worry.

I have the verb TYG03’s and a '4167 LG and I have found that they come out best at 8x and 12x (my LG works best at these speeds), the only thing 8x has over 12x is that I see a better jitter line in my tests with the LiteOn.
There is a ‘kick’ very near to the front and it grows at the end of the disk, but TBH its not a big deal, just that I get a flat line at the lower speed.

I have found a burn/scan that I had just done, its one of the better ones IMO.
Why not start at 8x and then see if 12x is any better, but I do 90% of my stuff with the LG at 8x.

if someone has scans made on discs burned @4x and @8x to compare (using media and burner in the title), I’d be very grateful. What exactly goes worse @4x (if anything) compared to 8x (on this particular burner): higher PIE/PIF? Sth else? Jitter @4x is lower than @8x I guess (typical to 4163B and DVD+R media). I think the only thing that can go wrong @4x is unnaturally high PIE/PIF - is this the case with this media and 4163B?

anyone? please help…

I dont know what you want in answers ??? in the end only you have your media and hardware so even if I have the same I could only give you some idea of what to expect, as everything in my systems are different, even down to the age and life of the media.

I dont see where anyone said that there would be a problem at 4x and I said that the only difference was that the jitter gets better at lower speed i.e. the burn is better.

‘Drage’ said that it is “The media itself is true multi-speed” so that gives me the impression that he thinks it will be fine at any speed. What speeds does your drive work best at ? I would think its best to work from there and see.

My drive is not the same, but I would have thought that it is quite a close match, and the media is up there with the best you can get, you are just going to have to try it for yourself and see… its the only way you will get the data you want.