4163 Read speed too low

vbimport

i recently bought a 4163B drive and burnt a couple of Moserbaer Pro DVD-r 8X discs at 8X…though i was able to burn the discs in under 10 mins, the read speeds on the same LG writer are very slow, not more than 2X…
i’m attching an image of the Nero CD-DVD speed test…

also when i ran another DVD rom bundled along with a tech magazine, it read it fine as high as 12X…posting a screenie of that too…

the Nero info tool shows that the drive’s firmware is A104…

my System config:
Intel 2.8 HT
865 GBF board
MS windows XP (w/o SP)
nVidia 5200 gfx
120 GB seagata HDD

please advice me as to wat i should do…

thanks

so where are the images ? =)

oh…
will attach them again…

My guess is that the Moserbaer media you used is low quality media. You did not say exactly how long it took to burn the disc but my 4163B manages an 8x burn in about 7:30. If it took you about 9min for that burn, it’s possible your 4163B slowed down at certain parts to deal with inconsistencies in the media. That would mean the media is either inferior or defective which might explain why you couldn’t read the media back properly. The DVD-ROM disc you read at a decent speed shows that your 4163B can read properly so it doesn’t seem to be your writer which is at fault.

Try burning with better quality 8x media such as Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim/Mitsubishi, TDK or even Ricoh. You should get much better read speeds with these.

thanks for tha reply…
here in india, its very difficult to get the high quality media that u specified…
so i went and bought a SONY 8X DVD-R
it seemed to have burnt fine, as i was able to read the DVD very well with no hiccups…

i will try and write the same moserbaer pack DVD on my frnds BenQ and check for the results…

the DVDs that i burnt contained divx movies…i wanted to know if it is better to burn the movies at 4X for better write quality…??

It’s almost definitely the Moserbaer media then. Trying it on your friend’s BenQ might not really be of much use. See, it is possible that Moserbaer media just does not burn properly with a 4163B but might work with a BenQ. If that is what happens, you can just sell him the rest of your Moserbaer discs! On the other hand, if they don’t work well with his BenQ, then it proves they really are poor quality media.

As for writing at 4x, it should not matter with the 4163B. For one thing a disc rated at 8x is made using dye that works best burned at 8x. Also the 4163B seems to do good quality burns with decent media at the rated speed the media is supposed to burn at. So your Sony 8x DVD-R should burn with decent quality at 8x on your 4163B. No need to burn at 4x.

Oh btw, I’ve tried Sony 8x DVD+R media (media id SONY-D11-00) and it seems to burn fairly decently on my 4163B. So if you can find that, it should work ok with your 4163B as well.

thanks mate…
another related query…
i burnt a DVD-R at 8X(unbranded, made a direct copy of another DVD on my SONY DU1622)
the read speed of this disc on my 4163 was very bad, hardly over 1.4X, but on the sony DVD ROM it went all the way 7X w/o any hiccups…
i ran a ScanDisc test on the burned media, first using the Sony drive and then using the LG 4163…both the times it said that the disc is 100% good…
does it mean that my 4163 has a problem??

Not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but if that unbranded disc was burned on your Sony writer, reads fine on your Sony DVD-ROM but not on your 4163B, it means that the 4163B does not like that type of disc. You can only conclude that the 4163B has a problem if it cannot read any brand of discs that are burned on any writer.

Usually not worth using low quality/unbranded media. It might burn nicely, but will die after a few months or a year.