411S reads DVDs but not CDs

installed new 411S and used it to burn a CD, worked fine
used it to play a DVD, works fine
however, when any data CD (burn or commercial) is put in, it won’t recognize anything in the drive, it just shows the contents as if it were a blank CD
I’ve uninstalled Nero 6 and InCD, ran the NeroRegCheck, flashed the firmware to FSOJ multiple times with liteon’s software, reinstalled drivers from safe mode, reinstalled the ASPI layer with force ASPI, tried system restore, turned IMAPI to manual, reset the BIOS, etc. etc. Only thing I know of left is to try it on another system which I haven’t had a chance to do yet
drive is jumpered to master and I’m testing it now as the only drive, I’ve checked the IDE cables etc.
this system is amd athlon 1.4 with XP pro
what else can I do???

Start by trying everything found here.

done

still the same problem

is it even possible for the laser to read DVDs but not CDs?

Originally posted by davinci242
[B]done

still the same problem

is it even possible for the laser to read DVDs but not CDs? [/B]

Curious problem. Well, DVDs do require the laser to fire at a slightly different wavelength. My old (piece of shit) Artec DVD-ROM had trouble reading some CDs, but I’ve never ever had an experience like this with LiteOn drives…

1. When you put in the CD, did you hear noises like the disc spinning up and down repeatedly or the laser head moving back and forth a lot? If that’s the case, then it may be indicative of a hardware problem as the drive is having trouble physically reading the disc.
  2. On the other hand, if you put the disc in, and it doesn’t many any out of the ordinary noises, and it doesn’t spend a lot of time trying to recognize the disc, then there’s probably some configuration problem.

So when you say that it doesn’t recognize the “contents” of the disc, do you mean that it doesn’t recognize the disc itself (case 1) or that it recognizes and accepts the disc, just not any of the file one it (case 2).

Also, if you have access to another computer (perhaps a friend’s?), you may want to try using the drive there to narrow it down to a problem with the drive or to a problem with your computer and/or setup.

tomorrow I will be testing on another machine
when I put in a CD the green light flashes for about 10 seconds but doesnt make any particularly unusual sounds, then I open the drive from My Computer and it just opens a blank window with D:/ at the top as it would with a blank disk, it doesnt say there is no disc in the drive, but no files are listed

Originally posted by davinci242
tomorrow I will be testing on another machine
when I put in a CD the green light flashes for about 10 seconds but doesnt make any particularly unusual sounds, then I open the drive from My Computer and it just opens a blank window with D:/ at the top as it would with a blank disk, it doesnt say there is no disc in the drive, but no files are listed

10 seconds is kinda long… usually, when I pop in a disc that my drive refuses to recognize, it’ll flash its lights for a while (probably longer than just 10 seconds, though), and it’ll make sounds as it desperately tries to recognize the disc–it’ll spin up, spin down, the head will move a little bit… etc… well, let us know how trying it on another computer goes.