411S Read Error/CRC Problem w/ Data Burns in DVD-R

Hi guys, first time post but I’ve been reading for awhile. The Pioneer A104 at work has been terrible lately (1x only regardless of the disc) so I decided to switch to the Liteon 411S…

The Problem: All discs burn fine - no errors reported during the 4x process. However, Nero verification reports that every file above 3.8GB fails due to Read Errors. The 411S can still open most of the files on the disc, although you can tell the read errors are causing problems since the whole system stalls for up to 10 seconds while the disc is being read.

The Specs: Athlon 2400XP, Nforce2 Mb, 512MB Ram
HD - primary master, 411S - secondary master (yes, using a reliable 80pin IDE Cable)
Intel Application Accelerator: not installed
Nvidia drivers: seems to make no difference. Of course, SP1 installs an Nforce driver by itself anyways so I’m not sure how to get it some sort of “windows default”
Nero version 6.3 latest update
411S latest firmware (F type)
Ritek G04 (4x) DVD-Rs
Windows XP Professional with SP1

I’m clueless about it now, guys. Reinstall windows? Take the drive back in (I bought it today) for another one? Find some magical way to get windows default ata drivers?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

-CrazyMoogle

Originally posted by CrazyMoogle
[B]Hi guys, first time post but I’ve been reading for awhile. The Pioneer A104 at work has been terrible lately (1x only regardless of the disc) so I decided to switch to the Liteon 411S…

The Problem: All discs burn fine - no errors reported during the 4x process. However, Nero verification reports that every file above 3.8GB fails due to Read Errors. The 411S can still open most of the files on the disc, although you can tell the read errors are causing problems since the whole system stalls for up to 10 seconds while the disc is being read.

The Specs: Athlon 2400XP, Nforce2 Mb, 512MB Ram
HD - primary master, 411S - secondary master (yes, using a reliable 80pin IDE Cable)
Intel Application Accelerator: not installed
Nvidia drivers: seems to make no difference. Of course, SP1 installs an Nforce driver by itself anyways so I’m not sure how to get it some sort of “windows default”
Nero version 6.3 latest update
411S latest firmware (F type)
Ritek G04 (4x) DVD-Rs
Windows XP Professional with SP1

I’m clueless about it now, guys. Reinstall windows? Take the drive back in (I bought it today) for another one? Find some magical way to get windows default ata drivers?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

-CrazyMoogle [/B]

hi pal,

Had similar problem … For me, everything is okay except DVD-R burning. Nero will report successful burning. But upon verification, all goes well until it hits around 80% of the disc and will report CRC error with some files corrupted. Till now, still don’t have a clue about this issue …

had emailed US liteon tech. support… they said they are looking into the problem but I doubt they can do anything …

Not to monopolize my own thread, but I guess I should mention I used to run into the problem on the old pioneer drive, but that seemed to be a deteriorating laser problem since the issue would go away (at first) by turning the burn speed down - but the problem eventually happened at 2x and now at 1x, effectively rendering the drive useless.

I would normally take that as a hint to trade the drive in for another one, but I’d really like to hear some forum feedback on whether that is going to help at all.

Thanks guys

-CrazyMoogle

Well, tried another couple of media (Maxell and Princo) and both flunked out more or less the same as before.

Took the drive in, got it replaced for a new one.

1. Using ‘B’ firmware, not ‘F’
  2. Using Recordnow

All burns have cleared verification. Not sure if it was the drive or the software, but seems to be working now.

Hope this helps out a little for those just as stumped as I was.

-CrazyMoogle