411s - producing 'semi-coasters'

Hi there

I’ve had a 411s since January and at first had a few teething problems and made a big pile of coasters when backing up movies. I then thought I had solved the problem when I starting using Nero Recode to compress and copy the movies to my HD, then use Nero Burning ROM to copy the files across to Imation DVD-R 4x discs. I did this about 8 times in a row with no coasters.

However, the last 3 discs I have made have had the same problem. After I burn the disc, I take it out and put it in my normal DVD-ROM drive and just skip through the chapters to the end credits to make sure everything looks normal and it does. However, then I try to play the DVD on my DVD player and after approximately 11 minutes I start to get break-up before the player crashes and I have to remove and start again. If I turn the player off for about an hour, put back in and play from where I left off, it plays the bit it got stuck on and then crashes again after about another 11 minutes!!

Now the weird thing is that both my drives in my PC can read no problems, yet both my standalone players (different brands) have the same problems. Could it possibly be that this media is effected by the heat of the player or something?

Any suggestions?

Try using DVDSHRINK OR DVD DECRYPTER to compress your dvds, then use NERO to burn. Nero is not that great to use to compress and encode. That’s just my opinion.

PENT 4 2.4 MHZ CHIP, 1 GB DDRAM, WIN2000 PRO W/SP4
PLEXTOR 708A DVD BURNER
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CD BURNER
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CD BURNER
LITEON 411S DVD BURNER
TOSHIBA 1612 DVDROM (2)
TOSHIBA 1712 DVDROM
60 GB, 120 GB MAXTOR HD’s, 120 MAXTOR EXTERNAL HD
CANOPUS ADVC-100 DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR PCI CONTROLLER CARD
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT PS

Do you think that this why my DVDs may be failing on my standalone players? Because of poor encryption? Not tried either of these other two you have mentioned, are they freeware or commercial programs?

Thanks!

Steve

they are both freeware

http://www.dvdshrink.org
http://www.dvddecrypter.com

it COULD be that your standalone dvd player(s) are really picky

i’ve had the same problem with mine and have worked out its heat thats the problem. i had to take the disc out and cool it down for it work and it would eventually start breaking up and gradually get worse. i moved my dvd player from the to the bottom of an amp and its much better now. try dropping the burn spped aswell. 2x gave me much better discs and no probs with the standalone compared to 4x burnin

Hi - yes I had wondered whether it was heat. I also hadn’t thought about the burn speed, but I’ll give that a try. Thank you for your help!!!

so have you figured out your solution yet?

Erm… no, not really! I’m actually beginning to think that I may have a faulty drive on my hands. I’ve tried all the suggestions above but I’m still getting the same results.

I may actually be able to return the drive in which case I think I’ll look at a different model. Is the 415s any better / more reliable than the 411s?

Thanks!

Originally posted by steve98
[B]Do you think that this why my DVDs may be failing on my standalone players? Because of poor encryption? Not tried either of these other two you have mentioned, are they freeware or commercial programs?

Thanks!

Steve [/B]
Could be the standalones just don’t like the burned disks, or your media or both. Which models of players do you have and what media are you using.