411S problems after using Princo; plz report!

vbimport

I have the strong suspicion that some Princo blank media can seriously damage your LDW-411S drive!

First of all, if your drive isn't functioning like it should, bring it back! You have warranty and even if the problem is caused by bad media, YOU HAVE WARRANTY!

And if you encounter problems with your drive after you have used Princo's, please post a reply to this thread. I want to make an overview.

To read more about the technical backgrounds of why I suspect Princo (and maybe some other brands) to kill your 411, read here

Ok, i don’t have problems with princo, i actually have the exact opposite. Using the 411s, at 4x with 4xPrince dvd-r i havent had a bad burn yet. (I cant do pi/po, see sig). But using other things i have no read errors, and all the movies play perfectly.
It seems i’m the only one who gets good results though.

Edit : I’ll add it here so i dont add more excess reply’s to this. Its not a little problem with KProbe, see my topic a few lines down.

People who don’t have any problems usually don’t post at CDF. But I’m intrigued by the large number of 411S users who report hardware problems after using Princo’s.

As with most brands and probably all cheap brands, Princo buys their media at different manufacturers, depending on what is the cheapest at that moment. At least one of the batches they bought and reselled seem to be of bad quality. Which doesn’t say that all Princo’s are bad, as you discovered to your pleasure.

As for Kprobe, have you ever had a look at the “read first” sections of this forum? Look here!

Howdy!

No problems at all with Princos - no single coaster yet on my LDW-811S. But I support your theory since the surface of these discs is not even and therefore the drive might be misaligned if it spins at high speed.

Note that I used discs from different batches (10x cakeboxes). In addition, all Princo discs are manufactured by Princo. There are many reports that the quality differs from batch to batch.

Princo absolutely sucks on my burner.
Causes endless thrashing about, and burning failures.
I will never use it again

CompUSA branded Princo’s rated 1x are recongized by 411s but after burning at rated speed (1x) are unreadable by the same drive. Video is choppy and studders on most of my Stand Alone players (Apex) except for one cheapo (AMW). On the other the hand same disks burned in a I/O Magic rebadged Optorite DD0401 burn perfectly at 2X and are readable by the 411s and as of yesterday 451s.

Update: 451s with original FW recognized princo at 1x, upgraded FW to gsb6 from gsb4 and now its recognized princo at 2x. 411s with fw FS0F would only burn at 1x and give me as noted above, crap!

Thanks for your reactions so far. But please post only when you encounter problems with your drive after using (or trying to use) Princo media.

As far as I can tell from the other posts in this forum, mainly the 411S seems concerned…

Originally posted by Squirrel
[B]Thanks for your reactions so far. But please post only when you encounter problems with your drive after using (or trying to use) Princo media.

As far as I can tell from the other posts in this forum, mainly the 411S seems concerned… [/B]

Sorry, misunderstood.