411s Problem

I finally picked up my 411s and I updated the firmware as soon as I got home. I’m using Maxell 4xDVD-r media that made by Taiyo Yuden and I can’t seem to burn a dvd backup that works in and dvd player or rom. The drive is setup as master on an ata66 cable, no hardware problem what so ever, this drive just won’t burn a working dvd movie. I used dvd-shrink and nero 6.0023 to backup the dvd. I used Kprobe to see what the pi/po results were from the disks, the best score I had was
PI Max: 138 Ave: 21.989
PO Max: 110 Ave: 3.876

The worst score I had was
PI Max: 699 Ave: 265.42
PO Max: 574 Ave: 68.87

Can anyone reccommend something to help me out.

Scope!

hi and welcome.
Can you post the media code?

Where would I find that, that’s the one thing I couldn’t figure out.
What should I use?

Scope!

Download smartburn checker from LiteOn.

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 54 59 47 30 31 00 (TYG01.)
Disc TID = 00 04 00 00 00 00 (…)
Manufacturer Maybe = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

In what way are you burning the disk with Nero? What book type? There was said to be problems with that version of Nero 6 when it comes to movies. I would suggest 6.00.11 or the very latest version 6300.

For the very best results for movies, I suggest using RecordNow Max 4.5
I hear CopyToDVD is very good too.

Your error rates seem a bit high, so the possibility of a bad drive or bad media exists. However a movie would still play (sort of) with those rates. so I’m wondering if you are making some mistake in the format of your burn. The most common error, and one that I make regularly, is to burn in ISO mode instead of DVD-Video in Nero.

The discs were burnt in DVD-video mode not ISO. The discs play for the first bit of the movie but they always freeze or pixelate near the end. I tried anothe on with nero 6.30 and still has the same problems and I burnt it at 2x speed.

Scope!

I’ve noticed that many of the 4x DVD-R burn worse at 2x than at 4x. But it sure sounds like you may have either bad media or a bad drive. I’d try some other media to see if it works better.

I took the drive back and I picked up a Pioneer 106. The pioneer perfectly backs up my dvd’s with the shitty media at 4x with no problems. I might have picked up a bad 411s but I know the drive I have now works. I can’t argue with that.

Scope!

I really wonder if there is such a thing as a good 411S?

You made the right move to get the Pioneer.

I had the same problem with my 411s. I bought it a last week when it was on sale at Best Buy for $129.99 - $50 in rebates. I figured you can’t go wrong and it was a good deal, WRONG! I burned about 10 movies, thought they were fine until I played them on my DVD player. They played fine at first, but then came the pixelation and they started to lock up towards the end of the movie. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I took it back, and picked up the Sony DRU-510a at Fry’s for $149.99 - $30 in rebates. Burned about 5 movies so far on different types of media, cheap and good, and they all play fine. I’m happy with the Sony, just wish I had better luck with the Lite-On, maybe next time.

I had exactly the same experience with Liteon 411S. It is going back tomorrow.

Had the same types of problems everyone else is having.

LDW 411S
Firmware FSOG

This drive would only write to the disks that came with the drive without errors. Have tried

INFODISCA01 2.4x +RW Memorex brand
this one seems to write fine but nothing shows up on the disk afterwards

CMC MAG.F01 4x +R Memorex brand
This one takes 2 hours to write to disk, what good is that

RITEKW01 2x -RW verbatim brand
lots of errors during playback of second half of disk on anything I have tried standalone or PC DVD ROM

I have tried 3 of these drives and will be returning it, thinking of getting a TDK 840G on sale at staples for $160.00 begining 12/28/03
Hopefuly someone has better luck than i did.