411s not recognizing media

vbimport

I have a 411s with the latest firmware and has been working perfectly on all programs, nero, A120, DVD shrink, etc. I have loved this drive.
However, today it will not read any media. None of my burning programs see any media and ask, “please insert media”. If i open the drive in My computer it asks the same thing. I’ve gone through all the standard fixes and restarted numerous times.
I have changed nothing to this drive before this happened.

any Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Tried everything found here?

I ran through all of those checks and nothing seems to have made a difference.

The computer recognizes the drive but wont’ boot from it either. I’m starting ot think the laser isn’t working or the drive is not spinning.

Originally posted by Hollyw00d
[B]I ran through all of those checks and nothing seems to have made a difference.

The computer recognizes the drive but wont’ boot from it either. I’m starting ot think the laser isn’t working or the drive is not spinning. [/B]

If this is something that happend all of a sudden–you didn’t upgrade/change/add any software, you didn’t change the firmware, etc.–then it seems to me that you just hit misfortune and that the drive just died.

Assumign it may have just “died”. is there any way to test to see if the laser works or it spins. I can’t seem to get it to do that either.

You could always try the drive in a different PC and see if that helps.

when you put a CD or DVD in, it should spin up and you can hear the motor and disk spinning !!! if not it sounds like your 411S has gone to the Big Commuter in the sky, I would recommend if it’s still under warranty return it and let them test it and find out if it’s dead or Alive

When i put a disk in the drive the green light blinks a couple of times and that is it. I dont hear any spinning or loading of the disk. Any other fixes without sending it back to liteon or someone? I know I dont have the receipt anymore

i never accept that a drive is dead unless i can’t boot to it or if i use a boot floppy and cannot access it.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ for a cd (if you can’t burn cds then do it at a friends)

floppy bootdisk with cdrom drivers to test your drive http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

you may not even know what happened but registry changes or virus’s can even cause this to happen. checking in dos and\or reseating cables are the two things i aways do with an optical drive to verify before replacing it.