411s not recognised by Tools

vbimport

Apologies if I’m raking over old problems, but I’ve searched the forums and haven’t found anything similar. I’d be grateful for any assistance with this one.

Got a new 411s. Installed ok. The drive was picked up by the supplied software (MyDVD,RecordNow,DLA). Moved a large chunk of my MP3 files onto a blank DVD 'imation DVD+RW, without any problems. Tried to copy ‘Freaky Friday’ (NTSC version) using Xcopy Premium. Went through the entire process. looked ok, but ejected disc appeared to be corrupt. Not recognised by any of the software, including explorer.

Followed links to upgrade firmware (presently FS05) and downloaded the the FS0J upgrade (couldn’t find earlier ones). It wouldn’t work; didn’t recognise the 411s. Downloaded Kprobe. Same result. Smartburn. Same.

Question is: am i missing something really simple here? The drive is DLA enabled. Do I need to do something else to allow the tools to recognise the drive.

Thanks

You should turn DLA/packet writing off.
Install KPROBE, (this also installs ASPI on your system which is necessary for some of the LiteOn utilities).
Check the jumpers on your drive and make sure they are not conflicting. (it is recommended to connect the 411 as master)
Make sure your IDE cables are connected securely.
If the 411 still is not recognized, try putting it on an IDE channel all by itself (disconnect the other drive on that channel) and then see if it is detected by the various apps.

Thank you so much for your help with this, wesociety. Turning off DLA was enough to bring the drive back.

Have run kprobe, firmware upgrade, and smartburn without any further problems.

I’m sure that I’ll be back to the forum, as this is all new to me. But thank you again for helping get me started. :smiley:

How do you turn off DLA?

Thanks.

Open Windows Explorer. Right click the DVD writer drive.

Select properties. Click on DLA tab.

Put a tick in the ‘Enable DLA on your drives’ box.

You need to enable it again to format, etc.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, that should have read, untick the ‘Enable DLA …’ box :o

No problemo IneXPerienced,

I am glad I could help :bigsmile:

And I see you are already helping others!
We hope to see you back here at cdfreaks :iagree:

Thanks a lot…although it didn’t help my situation. It sounded similar to mine, but apparently its not. :frowning:

Originally posted by montykid
Thanks a lot…although it didn’t help my situation. It sounded similar to mine, but apparently its not. :frowning:

Post your problem in detail. Hopefully we will be able help :smiley:

well, I’ve previously posted my problem, but wasn’t able to find anyone with any working suggestions.

Anyway, I currently have a 411s hooked up at secondary master under Windows XP with a nForce2 mother board. The drive was previously recognized by the official firmware/kprobe but is currently only seen as 2-0-0-0 without any further description. I’m not sure what caused the drive to become unrecognizable by the firmware, etc. In addition, some burning applications have troulbe recorgnizing the drive, including DVD Architect; the drive is not seen as a writable drive.

I also have some problems with a second DVDROM drive. If both drives are connected, neither works under windows. I’m unable to open disks and software does not recognized either drive at all.

Originally posted by montykid
[B]well, I’ve previously posted my problem, but wasn’t able to find anyone with any working suggestions.

Anyway, I currently have a 411s hooked up at secondary master under Windows XP with a nForce2 mother board. [/B]

Try to update to latest nForce IDE drivers. :slight_smile:

If this don´t work, try to uninstall Secundary IDE chanel, restart WinXP and install default M$ IDE-drivers.

BTW, I think this button will help… :cool:

tried both, Pinto…

Ssseth actually suggested those two actions in a post I had previously started.

I’ve also search, searched, and searched through these forums and others, without much luck (which is why i ended up posting on this thread). So far though, this forum has proven to be the most knowledgable and helpful with my problem, even though no solution has been found. Thanks though, and if you think of anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.