411s just bought!

Went to Best Buy few days ago and the price for that burner was just right. $129.99 - $50 mail-in rebate. I could not resist. I was hesitating for a while because all those catastrophic stories that users wrote here. I decided to give it a try. Went home fast and wanted to use it as soon as possible. Forgot to mention this is my first Dvdr so I was very excited. Installation went very smooth and after few minutes drive was working. Only problem was drive was burning very slow x1-2 but more like 1 :frowning: . CdR was only 12 out of 40. I think someone already posted here about very slow burning speed for 411s. Well needless to say after 10 min of cursing my mobo, cables and my 3 year old PC I decided to poke here and there for solution to the problem. And … I found it.
First I realized my HD’s were not set to DMA duh. I guess I forgot to check it after last system reload. After checking DMA in Device Manager I rebooted and used EZ Cd & DVD Creator 6.0 to test my drives. Transfer rate almost tripled !!!. I decided to try the same thing first with my Dvd-Rom. Transfer rate from that dvd-rom to HD doubled !! So I went to do the same with 411s. It worked and how !! CDr speed raised to x35 and dvdr to 4x constant !!! I also noticed buffer level stays around 98-100% (only 2-4% before) and CPU usage doesn’t go above 25-30% (before it was 100%) and there are no more freezes and slowdowns. Also important is fact that for burning I used default option for write speed “SmartBurn” and “Buffer Underrun Prevention”. So far I used Memorex dvdr (http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5974/5974895_sa.jpg) don’t know the symbol of the media so posting picture and Memorex cdr and didn’t noticed any problems.
Worth nothing is my 411s is using FS 07 firmware and I didn’t run into any problems. Don’t fix it if it isn’t broken, don’t upgrade if you don’t have a need is my rule :bigsmile:

FS07 does not properly record the leadin on DVD-R. You would be wise to flash to FSOF. You will also gain better selection of useable media and better DVD player and XBOX compatibility.

Carl

Is there any news on likely date for a new flash firmware. Version FS0F is getting old : it’s already over a month !

I was hoping we’d see a new for Christmas. Any chance ? :confused:

Originally posted by shb_freak
[B]Is there any news on likely date for a new flash firmware. Version FS0F is getting old : it’s already over a month !

I was hoping we’d see a new for Christmas. Any chance ? :confused: [/B]

Please! Somebody hack FS0F to read FS10 for this guy. :smiley:
(description: match more media of course)