411s IDE/ ULTRADMA

vbimport

Hey, I have just installed my 411s drive in the second channel as Master, my HD is installed in the first channel also master. Everything in windows is fine, the drive is recognized, etc. The problem is that every program I use that access the drive slow down all the system, sometimes making it aparently crashed. And I can’t get any media manufactor information with DVDInfo, like those that many people post here like binary codes with RICOHXXXXX in the midle.

With DVDINFO PRO all I could get is this:

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Drive doesn’t support media code
Format Capacity 4096.00GB(4398.05
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 12
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 86 67 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 1B
4x Write Strategy field 1 0E 10 08 09
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 06 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 04
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D
4x Write Strategy field 4 18 A8 88 85
4x Write Strategy field 5 89 AC 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 7FFFFFFFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Can’t find those binary with RITEKG 04. And it freezes the computer when the program is “accessing” the information.

With SmartBurn I had no trobble, very fast answer from the recorder, no system “slow down” and could get the media information:

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 54 45 4B 47 (RITEKG)
Disc TID = 30 34 00 00 00 00 (04…)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

I was reading the forum and found 2 things that I haven’t completely understand:

1. The burner is recognized as Ultra DMA 2, and it’s connected to my Promise Ultra 66 Controler, this controler came with my computer (it’s gateway).
  2. What is this thing about 80/40 pin cable, I am using the cable that came with the drive, is it a bad cable?

hampage wrote:

1. What is this thing about 80/40 pin cable, I am using the cable that came with the drive, is it a bad cable?

You need to use the correct cable with the drive. That could be why you’re having problems. Try using another cable and see if that works. I would update the firmware on the drive. Read the Liteon FAQ.

Ok, solved the problem conecting the recorder directly to the motherboard, not Promise controler.

you should never use optical drives on a controller card or raid controllers

Originally posted by richy99

Not quite truth…There are some IDE controller cards you can use.
(ex. Silicon Image CMD-649)

Have a look at OC-Freak´s … computer :smiley:

Originally posted by richy99

Why is that?

Originally posted by hampage
Why is that?

because most often the cards are designed soley with hard drives in mind. they will not work with optical ata devices, zip/jaz or tape drives.

some controllers (noted above) will work with optical drives. if you read the sata review sticky at the top of the forum you will see that the new SATA technology doesn’t care much for optical drives either.

Originally posted by cnlson
[B]because most often the cards are designed soley with hard drives in mind. they will not work with optical ata devices, zip/jaz or tape drives.

some controllers (noted above) will work with optical drives. if you read the sata review sticky at the top of the forum you will see that the new SATA technology doesn’t care much for optical drives either. [/B]

Is it possible to get slow recording speeds because the hard disk is connected to the ata controller and the burner to the motherboard?

Originally posted by hampage
Is it possible to get slow recording speeds because the hard disk is connected to the ata controller and the burner to the motherboard?

shouldn’t have any effect.