411S and Linux

Greetings, I’m new to this forum, and have found it invaluable after my Black Friday purchace of the 411S. Unfortunately, I find myself in quite a sticky situation, as my primary use of this DVD burner is forcing all of it’s problems to the surface, and few of it’s redeeming qualities.

Don’t get me wrong, Liteon has served me well in the past, and I believe that the firmware will eventually get there for me, but hear me out and please give me any feedback regarding getting this burner working.

Basically, I bought the burner to stick in my Linux file server, allowing me and my roommates to burn things without tying up our workstations. The primary target for the resulting DVD’s are going to be the Xbox and stand alone units.

I’m a big Linux guy, and I’ve reduced myself to only running a single windows box, booting it occasionally, and only when necessary. I understand the situation, and am not at all distraught by the lack of Linux support out there… I figure if we want it to work, we’ll do it ourselves. Which brings me to a few of my questions:

First, as I mentioned earlier I intend to burn DVD’s which will work in my Xbox, primarily data, to boot Linux on the xbox itself, and a few videos from my roommates digital camcorder, etc… Second, I’d ultimately like to get the drive working well in linux rather than windows, if possible.

I’ve initially installed the drive in my XP machine in order to update the firmware to FS0F, run some kprobe tests, etc… Because I’m on a budget, I’ve only got access to the software that came with the drive, which is Sonic RecordNow DX. I know this is probably crap, but all I need it for is recording pre-mastered images created from other sources. Mostly ISO’s form mkisofs and xiso for xbox data CD’s.

I’ve had little luck getting burns to work in my xbox. I think I toasted the DVD+R that came with the drive trying to burn from Linux on the virgin firmware, as it burned to the end, gave me an error, and the disc isn’t recognized. Reading the other threads, this isn’t surprising using an old firmware with a samsung xbox drive.

I updated the firmware to FS0f, installed the drive in XP, and burned an xbox data ISO using Sonic, and again, I got an error when it reached the end of the disk, this time on the DVD+RW that came with the drive. The disk takes awhile to initialize in the xbox, but it isn’t seen as a valid data disk. OK, now I’m getting worried, but I guess I can expect trouble from a DVD+RW in the xbox. I’m waiting for a DVD-R (RITEKG Generation 03) to finish, which is the same data DVD, hopefully it will actually successfully write the disk.

So, my question is where do I proceed from here? Ideally, I’d like to be able to get as “low level” as kprobe allows me to get, but using Linux. I imagine this is going to require pretty heavy reverse-engineering of the command set if I want to get this to work. Unless, the liteon command set is published and well documented. Anyone have any suggestions here?

Second, what free tools, other than Sonic MyDVD are available in the interim while I test and debug this drive? I want to get reliable burns working before I try the Linux thing. I’ve already tried Burn at Once 098 to no avail. It thinks all my disks are of size 0, and refuses to burn.

Finally, if this is a lost cause, please feel free to let me know. I’ve still got a few days to return/exchange this drive.

Ah! The DVD-R (RitekG Generation 03) just finished burning. Successfully, as far as MyDVD says… Let’s pop it in the xbox’s samsung drive and cross our fingers…

And that didn’t work at all. If I insert the DVD into the xbox, it boots fast and ignores the disc completely. If I put the disk in the 411S and launch xiso, it says it doesn’t have an xbox file system on it.

Any ideas / suggestions? Do I just buy better media and wait for a better firmware?

Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to mention that I did a KProbe scan at 4X / 8ECC on the xbox data CD I just burned on the Fujifilm (Ritekg03) media, and this is what I got:

I’m going to do a scan at 1X in a moment, still not sure what the guidelines on scanning are. Please correct my mistakes / misinformation.

Here’s the graph I get with KProbe at 1X on the xbox data DVD burned onto RITEKG Generation 03 DVD-R media.

Any advice in interpreting the graph would most welcome.

Originally posted by silas_osu
So, my question is where do I proceed from here? Ideally, I’d like to be able to get as “low level” as kprobe allows me to get, but using Linux. I imagine this is going to require pretty heavy reverse-engineering of the command set if I want to get this to work. Unless, the liteon command set is published and well documented. Anyone have any suggestions here?

Second, what free tools, other than Sonic MyDVD are available in the interim while I test and debug this drive? I want to get reliable burns working before I try the Linux thing. I’ve already tried Burn at Once 098 to no avail. It thinks all my disks are of size 0, and refuses to burn.

kprobe: I don’t think there are even comparable windows programs for different brands of burners, so I don’t think we’ll ever see something like kprobe on linux.

free tools: why don’t you try on linux right away (on RW-media maybe). I’ve had growisofs / dvd+rw-tools recommended to me; there’s also cdrecord-ProDVD.

From what I understand, the 411 has some issues with the way it writes -R and -RW media. These may have been fixed in the latest firmware (I only have a 401S, so I don’t know). I ran into trouble with my Phillips drive and +RW media. It seems to only like +R and CDRW media.

I use growisofs to write premastered ISOs as well as to create DVDs with audio or video for use with the Xbox Media Player/Center. For the DVD’s with audio and video files on them, I use ‘growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -R -J -r /some/files’. I do not know of a good way to create XISO files in linux. I would be glad to hear of a way (running Simplex Iso in wine seems to run into 2GB barrier problems, even on reiserfs).

republic

Originally posted by republic
From what I understand, the 411 has some issues with the way it writes -R and -RW media.

What is the source of this information? I read the rewiew of the 411s by OC-Freak which says that it writes anything (including -R) extremely well. He also says that firmware before FS0F was bad.

I have never seen any measurements (with kprobe or so) of DVD-RW’s written on a 411s. I would like to see such, but don’t know where. Does anybody have any?

Originally posted by republic
I would be glad to hear of a way (running Simplex Iso in wine seems to run into 2GB barrier problems, even on reiserfs).

I’ve used mkisofs to create iso’s before writing them with growisofs. It works with file sizes up to 4GB (I have not testet >4GB). But I don’t recommend mkisofs because it is terribly slow (about 30 minutes just to create the image - much slower than the burning process itself).

If someone has something better, I would like to hear about that too.

I had heard that earlier versions of the 411S firmware wrote to -R and -RW discs in a strange manner. The tracs did not even look like those produced by other burners cabable of -R and -RW.

As for the issue of creating xisos

I have found that extract-xiso can be used in linux to mack backup copies of games. The key is to make a symbolic link from your dvd reader to the directory where you want the extracted rom to go.

‘ln -s /dev/scd0 /tmp/The\ Name\ Of \ The\ Game.iso’

Then change to the working directory and tell extract-xiso to remake the specified xiso.
‘cd /tmp’
‘extract-xiso -r The\ Name\ Of \ The\ Game.iso’

The result will be a renamed symlink and a new xiso of the game you wanted to copy.

I also understand that extract-xiso can create xisos from “scratch” as well as convert premade isos

republic

I am afraid my previous comment may be misleading, extract-xiso can make a copy of a backed up game. It cannot read a retail xbox game. Of course, through the various hacks and mod chips, the contents of the game disc can be transferred via ftp. The resulting file structure can be remade into a backup.

republic