411s@811s power calibration error +R

vbimport

I am running a 411@811 using zebra v4. My drive has never been able to burn +R media for some reason. When I burn(nero6303) media on +R Ridata, and on the Liteon +R that came with the drive the burn fails, stating that there was a “power calibration error”. It burns most -R media OK (Princo, Verbatim, nonames etc). I am usung the current 811s firmware from Liteon. I get the same failure also if I try to burn +R with GearDVD.
Can anybody shed any “lite on” this problem for me?

Thanks

This sounds like OPC (Optimum Power Calibration) problem.
You have a modded drive, so I hope some of “team Zebra” members will assist you further… :slight_smile:

While waiting, check your configuration, powersupply, and try the drive in another compu if you can.

BTW, have you ever tried the RecordNow Max (-DX) burning program that came with your drive? :cool:

Things that can cause a Power Collaboration Error are

1:) Power supply can not supply enough power for the drive. Recommended 300Watt or more if your running a dell computer be wary the max they usually supply is 200W / 250 though they are pretty high quality PSUS.

2:) Bad media

3:) Bad Drive as in the hardware is faulty

Solutions > Try in another computer > Try New Media > Take it back and get a replacement.

I purchased some new TDK media today that I will try after work. I have not tried Recordnow as yet, but I will tonight. Upgrading the power supply? Ill have to have a look in the case and see what came with the box. As for returning the drive, I think Im past that stage, we wont hoist the white flag yet, Im still enjoying the puzzle.

Thanks for the ideas Guys

ps- Does burning +R have a higher power load than burning -R?

I burnt 2gb of data onto the TDK+RW with Nero6303, the burn process completed successfully it said, but when I tried to view the contents there was nothing there, and the drive indicated that there was no disk present? I tried to recover the media with DVDinfoPro but it got 22% into a full erase/format then just started jumping from 1% to 22%, and I eventually aborted. I then tried to burn a Liteon +RW with RecordNow but although it recognized the media and the disk was erasable it would not burn to it. I was able to burn to this disk in the past with the original crap firmware that came with my 411s drive(prior to FSOF).
It seems that each time I have updated firmware one problem is fixed and another created. Do you think most of the issues in these forums can be sorted out via firmware updates or is there a hardware issue with the current liteon drives causing incompatabilities with some systems?

Any ideas appreciated:)

411s@811s HSOP

how about trying it as it was originally? that will answer if it is a bad drive or not. most likely the eeprom changes are not correct and will not allow you to burn correctly.

since this drive was not built with your changes in mind try reverting first. it would be stupid to return it if it works in original config.

Originally posted by cnlson
[B]how about trying it as it was originally? that will answer if it is a bad drive or not. most likely the eeprom changes are not correct and will not allow you to burn correctly.

since this drive was not built with your changes in mind try reverting first. it would be stupid to return it if it works in original config. [/B]

The original config that came with the drive would only burn DVD+RW and nothing else, this is how I ended up in this forum. The various changes with firmware and mods have improved on the original performance, but things are still evolving.

ps- I dont know what happened at liteon when they went to DVD burners, all there previous products that I have used were good. Perhaps they are smoking a bit to much weed in the devellopment area at the moment;)